• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Running UT4_Uptown (4.1) in 4.1.1. Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   lurf Icon

• Account: lurf

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

I'd like to respond to the following and express my views on Urt. As a fan I might add. I may be getting a bit off topic but what the heck, here goes.

"I don't get it either. The community asked and asked for these old maps and then don't download them when released. These maps will not be in HD and after this I will ignore the whining over it since they have proven they don't really want these old maps anyway."

The fact that "you don't get" it tells me that maybe you are missing the unique selling point of your own game... Let's limit the discussion to uptown here. Uptown is, as far as I'm concerned, the only map on which the unique gameplay mechanics that UrT has to offer really shine. Bunnyhopping, (wall)jumping, ledge grabbing, powersliding, curb stomping and booting are, in my opinion, core gameplay elements unique to UrT. Uptown integrates these elements like no other map. There's nothing sweeter than flying around that map shooting people from the sky (or shooting someone out of the sky for that matter). Or using walljumps to prolong your jumps or get up a building (specially when in pursuit or when being chased). I even use walljumps to fool people chasing me around a corner. I fly over their head and shoot them from behind. And how much more fun is booting if you can actually kick someone of a building and make them lemming. Curb stomping isn't even possible on maps without height. Granted, powersliding is maybe more of a ground based ability but I also use that to connect jumps (jump, powerslide, jump). On Uptown you can do all that, on maps like Casa or Turnpike you mostly just run around.

These possibilies on Uptown have been the sole reason I'm hosting my server and have been playing this game. So yes I'm very sensitive about changes regarding Uptown, because if not for this map I wouldn't even be playing this game (the new uptown has quite some changes which make gameplay worse, which is one of the reasons I'm not hosting it). Without the aforementioned unique tactical gameplay Uptown has to offer I really don't care about Urt at all. I mean if I just want to walk around and shoot there are tons of better games out there. Yet I play them not so extensively as UrT because they lack this great gameplay. (Btw, I also feel strengthened in my argument by the fact that there are quite a few Uptown only servers out there. A setup introduced to great succes by yours truly.)

I really think gameplay wise this game has a lot of potential and personally I don't give a crap how beautiful HD will be. If it doesn't have Uptown or maps with similar gameplay then I'm not playing it. If however it does I think Urt could be a big hit all over again. Given the right team and finance I even think it could even be a huge commercial succes.

In the end what would be required is more maps like uptown, some weapon balance changes (Sr8 is too good right now, give it less ammo to start. HK needs a buff, especially squirrel damage), some bug fixes, a better server browser and perhaps better hit detection. Removing the limit of 3 consecutive walljumps would also be good (let stamina be the limiting factor). Better graphics are always welcome but not so important, gameplay is all. It would also help if updates are downloaded ingame in order to make people update. Besides not wanting to give up Uptown 4.1 the reason I'm not hosting 4.1.1. is because many people don't have it. And when you connect with 4.1 to a 4.1.1. you can't join and don't get a message "please update". I'm sure there's more to think of, these were just some initial idea's.

It is of course your choice to create the game the way you want it, and if this is what we get I can accept that. I am in fact very grateful for such a great free game. But if you want the game to really distuinguish itself and experience a growth in community I'd focus more on the aforementioned gameplay mechanics and supporting maps.

Sincerly,

Lurf

#13 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:12 AM

lurf .... i'd press press your like button if you had one ..

(you should switch your server from to ts though : ) ... oh obviously didn't notice your are running ts already)

This post has been edited by KarlMariaSeeberg: 27 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#14 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

It's worth to mention, that creating map like ut4_uptown seems to be a hell of a challenge for mapper, I guess.

#15 User is offline   lurf Icon

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

View PostKarlMariaSeeberg, on 27 September 2011 - 06:12 AM, said:

lurf .... i'd press press your like button if you had one ..

(you should switch your server from to ts though : ) ... oh obviously didn't notice your are running ts already)

I have 2 servers. One TS and one TDM. Both Uptown 4.1 only. Hope to see you there sometime :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   lurf Icon

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

View PostRaideR, on 26 September 2011 - 02:43 PM, said:

Hums... back RaideR back!! Let me think on a reply for a moment. There is alot there a large mix of things i do and certainly dont agree with. Coming soon :P

I am curious to see how you feel. Will check back for your reply :)

p.s. I'm having trouble logging on to the site. I can't use Lurf (Your login must not contain uppercase letters ! Retry with lowercase instead.), but there is no way for me to make the L a small letter and keep it that way. The box remembers my name and changes lurf into Lurf no matter what I do.

#17 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

still no proper reply raider?

please tell us what you think...

sincerely
karl
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#18 User is offline   Runamok Icon

• Account: runamok
  • Main tag: -WAR-

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

@BK the UrT community in general loves Uptown, and the other old maps, just I think they didn't agree with some of the changes that were made to the map, and prefer the 4.1 version to the 4.1.1(or HD?) version

I personally didn't like the garden fences on the red and blue CTF spawns, they just didn't agree with the way I play the map (coming out of red spawn in particular)
-WAR-Runamok`

cyrus: "Camping" is a non-issue for a player that uses his/her head.

#19 User is offline   Qant Icon

• Account: qant

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

Truth being told by lurf (though I think the new uptown is fine in pretty much every aspect) . I'd also really like to read Raiders viewpoint here.

*bump* etc..

#20 User is offline   Juno Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: juno
  • Main tag: ~SG~

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

View Postlurf, on 28 September 2011 - 09:00 PM, said:

I have 2 servers. One TS and one TDM. Both Uptown 4.1 only. Hope to see you there sometime :)

I liked lurf Uptown only TS server.
But there are so many cheaters everyday and votes were off that i stopped playing there.
No admining at all.
But as I remember its one of oldest server still running and oldest Uptown only for sure.
May be now something changed.
Regards.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942