Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Fedora Core, CentOS, or Debian Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pollofeliz Icon

• Account: pollofeliz

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:14 AM

Hello. I have been using Linux since 1999, but I have taken a year long hiatus from using it recently. Right now I want to install it on my laptop because it has better (free) developer tools than Windows. Which distribution is better these days? Let me tell that I am an old-timer by now (have cut my teeth on Debian GNU/Linux 1.3.1 and Solaris 2.6) and I don't care about most flashy, nicey things that keep being added laterly. For example, the only Gnome applications I care about are the gnome-terminal and the panel (to launch the terminal and firefox, mostly).

A long time ago I was using exclusively Debian. However, the release cycle length was a little maddening and the third party software support favored other distributions. I switched to using RedHat and later Fedora Core at home and CentOS at work. Fedora Core has a different kind of problem, and that is its changing too fast. For a while I had a 2006 version of Fedora on my home PC, and then tested a newer version a year ago, and the amount of changes was maddening. Some things that used to work since the 90s seemingly got "broken". I have spent a full day fixing the thing (before, I usually was up and running in 30 minutes with older Fedoras). Then there was the issue with ATI drivers, which are demonic and take a long time to figure out how to install (Damn, NVIDIA got this right 10 years ago). This makes me wonder if CentOS is a better OS for me. CentOS is a clone of RedHat Enterprise Linux, which is a real enterprise OS with a super-long support cycle. Any ideas? In the past, I was using exclusively CentOS at work, because no real work environment can deal with superfast release cycles of many other distributions. However, CentOS certainly lagged when it came to latest open source software support (want to install the latest mplayer on 2 year old CentOS, how about spending hours on rebuilding rpms from other distributions?). Commercial software support was superb however.

This post has been edited by pollofeliz: 29 September 2011 - 01:17 AM

3AKOH
(usually)

#2 User is offline   cyrus Icon

• Account: cyrus
  • Main tag: [PCC]

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:50 AM

Also a long time Linux user, with a lot of experience using many distros. I used Fedora and CentOS for a long time, but recently (maybe two years ago) switched to Ultimate Edition (an Ubuntu based distro).
I was never a fan of Ubuntu before I started using UE. I guess Fedora (Leonidas) just pissed me off with lousy pulseaudio implementation. Previous experiences with Ubuntu were pretty bad as well. Somehow, UE just clicked for me. I understand that it isn't for every one, but if you are looking for something different, it is certainly worth a spin. YMMV...
Disorder... Chaos... Anarchy... Now THAT's fun!

#3 User is offline   KEYHOLE Icon

• Account: keyhole

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:26 AM

im noob and i use opensuse and it go very well

#4 User is offline   onslaught Icon

• Account: onslaught

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:29 AM

Ubuntu has really increased interest in Debian based distro's. I use Debian now and although the software center does not have nearly as many programs i am sure i could easily get the same programs by the normal route or by synaptic package manager. I used to use Ubuntu but after trying the new window manager and finding out it will be on all future versions and no longer optional i switched to Debian. Its up to you but if your looking for a distro with tons of finger tip apps Ubuntu may be your only option.

#5 User is offline   PureFilth Icon

• Account: purefilth
  • Main tag: [#!]

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:43 AM

Slackware.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   V00d00 Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: v00d00
  • Main tag: uJ|

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

CentOS is for servers mainly. But its not hard to get it setup as a desktop. Support time is apparently 10 years per version. My only complaint is all the crap that packages get linked to, like trying to install gmplayer installs gnome as a dependency, i mean wtf does mplayer have to do with gnome. I know it doesnt need half the crap that gets installed with it, because ive compiled it by hand several times and created fully functional versions that didnt need half the crap that the repo version needs.

Fedora is ok if you dont mind upgrading it like almost twice a year, and the fact the release life is extremely short. They also have a tendency to test things that arent stable. But the Fedora is simply the testing route for RedHat Enterprise Linux (and CentOS).

Debian is Debian. Stable, but can be a pain in the ass to get working if you are new to Linux.

Ubuntu is just Debian for people who are to stupid to use Debian. Use it if you are a sheep.

Slackware is for Pros who want something as near to the Unix experience, but dont want to go to BSD. If you are a noob, forget about it and get something else.

LinuxFromScratch is for people who want to learn how Linux works, and build a custom distro just for themselves. Once you have a base system you choose how you want it to look.

Ive used Slack, Fedora, Debian, CentOS, Mandriva, Turbo, Caldera, LFS, Gentoo, PC, Knoppix, Puppy, DSL, and loads of other distros.

I currently use CentOS 5 (soon to be CentOS 6 next week when my new SSD arrives)

#7 User is offline   Silver Swords Icon

• Account: silverswords

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:42 AM

View Postonslaught, on 02 October 2011 - 03:29 AM, said:

I used to use Ubuntu but after trying the new window manager and finding out it will be on all future versions and no longer optional i switched to Debian.

in system/administration/login screen, you can choose [u]ubuntu classic[/u] or ubuntu classic (no effects)

"In April 2011 Shuttleworth announced that Ubuntu 11.10 would not include the classic GNOME desktop as a fall back to Unity, unlike Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal."

Ubuntu

=( =( =(

This post has been edited by Silver Swords: 12 October 2011 - 12:08 AM

Smiles open many doors.

#8 User is offline   jacobbrett Icon

• Account: jacobbrett

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

View PostSilver Swords, on 07 October 2011 - 03:42 AM, said:

in system/administration/login screen, you can choose [u]ubuntu classic[/u] or ubuntu classic (no effects)

"In April 2011 Shuttleworth announced that Ubuntu 11.10 would not include the classic GNOME desktop as a fall back to Unity, unlike Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal."

Ubuntu

=( =( =(

According to these guides, one can install GNOME (3) Classic for a similar experience.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942