Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Ubuntu libsdl Slow performance Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

fps, libsdl, ubuntu, linux, timedemo 1, debian

#1 User is offline   zup100 Icon

• Account: zup100

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

I want to share with you my experience about performance in Ubuntu and Debian and Windows.

I've notice after hundred or more timedemo 1 testing on newest Ubuntu and Debian (Squeeze) that performance sux in compare to my older machine and older Ubuntu and older Debian.

What I've found was problem with libsdl1.2debian library -older one was good but newest, have performance drop sometimes about 40 percent.

So even toe I have Debian stable (squeeze) I still use older library from Debian oldstable. So, this is a list of good and bad libsdl:

libsdl1.2debian 1.2.13-2 -"a good one", no performance drops, no glitches in game.

libsdl1.2debian 1.2.14-6.1 -totally sux, fps drops, glitches, timedemo 1 test sometimes even 40 percent drops.

So if you have newest version of this library and experience no performance drop in compare to "a good one" library, please report there, cause I have tested only on 2 machines:

1. Celeron 3,6 GHz, Ge-Force 6600 GT DDR1
2. Core 2 Duo 2GHz, Ati Radeon HD 3470, ddr3

So, my test was simple. First I have installed (on Debian squeeze) "a good one" library and do some timedemo 1 test on my custom demo, then measure after couple of the same tests and if there was consistence in performance (after 10 or more tests) I wrote results.

Then I have installed a bad one and notice inconsistence in timedemo 1 on the same demo and the same machine, for example in 10 tests there was 3 tests witch was nice, but after that (or in the middle of this 3 tests) have up to 40 percent of performance drop. So, sometimes it was relatively good (not as good performance as on "a good one" library") but sometimes it was 6 or 5 times slow.

There was the same config the same machine an the same conditons (I have rebooted and ran the same conditions on another library, even temperature was the same, temperature of processor and my room)

I've done this tests on Debian system, cause on Ubuntu system there was more inconsistence when I've tested. Maybe it was because new Ubuntu's has another library unstable. For example, when I do some tests on Debian but another (newer than 2.6.32-5-686) kernel, so it also means that library "linux-base" is different (newer kernel = newer "linux-base" package) even with "a good one" libsdl, there is still problem with performance (inconsistence in timedemo tests). And, to make sure that I am on the right path, when I leave installed this newer "linux-base" package from this newer kernel and do tests on the older kernel (switching after reboot), there is still inconsistence in tests. So this is a new "linux-base" package problem too.

So, my conclusion is that, maybe it is issue of lacking ati-newest-kernel drivers, maybe it is that problem I dont know. Solution for this issue is to use older kernels and for example:

2.6.26-2-686 -good performance kernel (but without newest features)

2.6.32-5-686 -the same performance and newer kernel

To be precise this is the demo and config (put test.dm68 to .../UrbanTerror/q3ut4/demos and after backup your autoexec.cfg put mine autoexec.cfg to .../Urbanterror/q3ut4/ folder:

Demo And Config

I think that this post can be of benefit to coders for creating a new UrbanTerrorHD -linux version (to be aware of this problem) and for others who are a performance freaks like me!

Enjoy testing!

P.S. I posted this demo cause demo included in standard Urban Terror 4.1 "tutorial.dm_68" cannot be of use for performance testing it does not include real life gaming situations like good amount of smoke, many players and performance demanding map. This is also a good reason to include some good demo in newest UrtHD ( I should post another posts on UrtHD section).

This post has been edited by zup100: 10 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

#2 User is offline   rdd Icon

• Account: rdd

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:56 PM

You might want to report this to the Ubuntu bug tracker (Launchpad), if you didn't do so yet.

Speaking of Ubuntu and performance problems: while you're at it, be sure to have Compiz and similar superfluous stuff disabled while playing! Compiz alone can needlessly halve your frame rate.

#3 User is offline   zup100 Icon

• Account: zup100

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

View Postrdd, on 10 November 2011 - 11:56 PM, said:

You might want to report this to the Ubuntu bug tracker (Launchpad), if you didn't do so yet.

Speaking of Ubuntu and performance problems: while you're at it, be sure to have Compiz and similar superfluous stuff disabled while playing! Compiz alone can needlessly halve your frame rate.

Yes,

I'm only testing without compiz fusion and even without composite efects (makes your windows looks more candy) or even without font antialiasing and any antialiasing. Always pure labolatory conditions.

Speaking about Ubuntu it does not matter how many people report problems, cause Ubuntu live by itself, no more wise updates, all new Ubuntus's have unstable packages.

Even thoe in this madness is method, cause they testing new ideas, but there is no good for gaming, but there is always other distribution witch is more friendly for gamers...

Solution for Compiz Fusion is fusion-icon witch can disable temporarly Composite effects (do it automatically, or try...) when running OpenGl games...

BTW
My performance on this demo and this config is:

on Celeron 3.6GHz (one core), Ge-Force 6600 Gt, ddr1, Debian Squeeze - 120 fps in timedemo 1
on Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, Ati HD 3470, ddr3, Debian Squeeze - 180 fps in timedemo 1

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942