• You cannot reply to this topic

Delirium's weekend mini challenge #2 Rate Topic: -----

Park benches

#1 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

Hey all,

I bring you the 2nd of Delirium's mini challenges, the key thing is to remember its not a competition but a challenge to try boost some creativity among the mappers.
Each weekend I'll be posting a topic on a map object you could create and the challenge is to be as creative as possible while still being realistic, the map you make shouldn't be something you spend a lot of time on and commit to, you can take as long as you want of course but in reality its not something to spend all week on.

The rules are simple.
* I post a link to the download base .map, you are not allowed to map outside this box. You can however texture this box however you wish.
* Map lighting, texturing, compile and even the client you use is all up to the mapper, you can use all that is available.
* You have all weekend to create what ever the object is and you don't need to upload a map, only ONE screenshot of the fully textured map ingame.
* Post your shot in this thread when ever its done and I will announce the winner in the first post of next weeks challenge :)
* You can enter up to a maximum of 3 times per weekend.
* You can choose the best angle to take your screenshot from, but please only post 1 image per entry

The object of this weekend is 'a park bench', this can be created however you like it to be. It can even be modelled if you wish. Background details will be ignored such as misc details/plants/trees/buildings unless they are part of the park bench(eg. rubbish)

Also this is optional but if you would like to release your sources I'm sure other mappers would appreciate it(just post it along with your screenshot)

Here is the link to this weeks base map
Last weeks challenge can be seen here

Dagf: I really liked the creativity on yours, it was very unique and set you apart from the rest. Though every fence is repetitive, fences like this normally aren't. Keep trying that uniqueness and creativity throughout the competition I'd like to see more!
Rylius: I liked the industrial feel I got from yours, it really seemed like you were trying to keep me out :D I think the fence would have looked nicer with a base trim and a different brick texture down the bottom, and maybe the wire texture could have been smaller, but other than that it looked real nice
Majkifajki: your screenshot was taken from further away so it was hard to see your brushwork. You texturing let you down this week as the fence seems kind of plain but then you've got this shingle roof texture which really sticks out, looking forward to what you can produce this week.
ValkoVer: I really liked how you went out and did something different from the rest of us, the vine looks wonderful threading in and out of the fence too! great job
TheRipper: No more -meta compiles!
JohnnyEnglish: Yours wasn't repetitive and I liked it, it was different from the others and had a creativity spark to it. The texture was what got me, it was repetitive and you could see the harsh marks from the metal every 2 metres. I think rotating it 90 degrees would have made it look wonderful. Also 1 screenshot next time ;)
jtn191: yours reminded me of a border fence (then I noticed you said its inspired by it) I like the fact you sourced your fence from a reference which is good. I however didn't like the transparent texture, it looks too harsh and seems cheap and fake, I think next time keep away from the smaller grate/metal textures, I tend to for this reason :)

The winner of last weeks challenge was Valkover, you did a great job, well done.

This post has been edited by Delirium: 12 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

#2 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

Posted Image

Here is mine fore this week :)

#3 User is offline   YAY5637 Icon

• Account: yay5637
  • Main tag: <PWC>

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

looks very nice and interesting

#5 User is offline   xandaxs Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: xandaxs
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

lol!
Bus Stop :D

I might enter this competition ^^
But i'll do something a bit more classical...

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   DagF Icon

• Account: dagf
  • Main tag: |TNC|

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

I was out taking photos of 3 benches i whanted to mak for my map on friday. So when i got back home yeasterday and saw this was the challange i just had to start working on it.
It's a bit more than 30 min. I was out last night so everything to much more time than usual...

This is my first bench textures are from photos of the bench and skybox is from cg textures.

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

Here it is!
Posted Image
I decided to make something "classic". This is first model that i created in 3dsmax from scratch. I used so-called box modeling technique (it's great!). I used this and this image as reference when modeling. I will release this model, but right now it has way to many tris, and scale is messed up.

This post has been edited by ValkoVer: 13 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

#8 User is offline   xandaxs Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

looks great!!
Now, whatever model i make will just look close to yours Valkover :(

I selected my textures, and made the shaders, have 24 textures O_O
(counting skybox, _b and _n maps)

#9 User is offline   DagF Icon

• Account: dagf
  • Main tag: |TNC|

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

My 2th bench

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   xandaxs Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

those curved brushes you guys have are all made of vertex deformation @ cylinders?
Nice looking bench Dag! ^^

Here's mine:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

>> Textures by Rayne, Nobiax and Filterforge <<

Ain't as good as yours, but it was all i could do in such a short time, spent all my weekend studying so i just started yesterday's night, and finished today in 5 or 10 minutes the things i had left to do.
I wanted to make a much better looking bench holder, but unfortunatelly i didn't have the tiem to do it.

I'm off to study now, again.. :/

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942