Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To: Make terrain Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#23 User is offline   spazzattack Icon

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

Looks interesting, but this is far too long a tutorial, with a hell of a lot of waffling in it! It's a shame because Frankie is obviously expert, but the presentation is just very long winded. Shorter, more concise videos in future please!!

#25 User is offline   spazzattack Icon

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

Fair enough, and it's a lot easier to criticise things, than create them as you have. I suppose I want to know the content, but feel frustrtated at not being able to commit the hour, when I'm not sure whether it'll answer questions I have: e.g. how the blended texturing you do towards the end in max translates out to .ase - at a glance I don't see you export the terrain, and import .ase into radiant. A text/image tutorial can be skimmed far quicker without fear of missing something vital, and can also give an idea of content - e.g. by searching for the key words you're interested in. This is why I feel videos need to be brief.

This post has been edited by spazzattack: 11 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

Spaz that is exactly where you're wrong actually.
Short videos in general leave a viewer full of questions like "how the hell did he do that".
In longer videos there's not only a greater chance a topic will be covered properly but several other questions will be answered along the line.
If you watched Frankie's terrain video carefully you would know exactly what happens to the terrain texture.
I mean anyone that watched it and payed attention to what he's doing noticed that as soon as he started the VPC it asked him to create a new texture. Everything he painted is automatically saved into the texture he created at the beginning of the texturing process.
If he didn't he wouldn't be able to add textures to the terrain at all. Not through VPC that is.

#27 User is offline   spazzattack Icon

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

I finally got time to look through this. Very interesting.

How large is the output terrain texture going to be? If it's all one big one then even 2048x2048 is going to look low res isn't it? Or do I miss something? I think you were hinting at the idea of tiling too. Can these techniques (tiling and viewport canvas) be combined in some way?

#28 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

View Postspazzattack, on 19 April 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

I finally got time to look through this. Very interesting.

How large is the output terrain texture going to be? If it's all one big one then even 2048x2048 is going to look low res isn't it? Or do I miss something? I think you were hinting at the idea of tiling too. Can these techniques (tiling and viewport canvas) be combined in some way?

Terrain Frankie showed is just...decorative. Something you'd use to cover the bottom of the skybox and add some depth to the background.
So even a low res texture will suffice. It's not something a player should be able to stick his nose in, and from a distance it will look good enough.
Now if you wanna make a map like Ryadh where terrain is actually a vital part of the map then you'd either split the terrain up into pieces or use a seamless texture and then add details through decals and alpha blending.

This post has been edited by Rayne: 20 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

#30 User is offline   spazzattack Icon

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Bookmarked.
Looks good. Thanks!

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942