Urban Terror Forums: have problems opening urT with ubuntu 11.10 (urT 32-bit) - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

have problems opening urT with ubuntu 11.10 (urT 32-bit) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   rottetion Icon

• Account: rottetion

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

well i used to play Urban Terror on windows for 2 months and i really enjoyed.Then my windows crashed and i decided to use the newest ubuntu version instead of Windows XP home version.
I installed and it worked just with one exception: The frames per second had decreased dramatically making it really hard to play (i used to have 80 fps and with ubuntu just 30 fps) so i decided to change some system settings to make it a little faster. I accidentelly (dunno if its written thats way im not english so sry :P ) changed the Screen to Custom which was 1024*1678 ( i also think that this is wrong :P ) and applied it.I was in a hurry and i wanted to play one TDM before i leave so i just applied Custom wihtout looking at the lenght and width and now it wont even start :(((
I have deleted the Urban terror file again and again and tried to open it, but without success.I rebooted my PC, but without success. I also deleted all UrT files on my desktop and downloaded it again and it didnt work.
Im pretty sure that my Problem is that the Screen settings are way too big for my Screen but is there any way to change the Screen Settings without opening UrT in ubuntu?

#2 User is offline   zup100 Icon

• Account: zup100

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

View Postrottetion, on 17 November 2011 - 05:38 PM, said:

well i used to play Urban Terror on windows for 2 months and i really enjoyed.Then my windows crashed and i decided to use the newest ubuntu version instead of Windows XP home version.
I installed and it worked just with one exception: The frames per second had decreased dramatically making it really hard to play (i used to have 80 fps and with ubuntu just 30 fps) so i decided to change some system settings to make it a little faster. I accidentelly (dunno if its written thats way im not english so sry :P ) changed the Screen to Custom which was 1024*1678 ( i also think that this is wrong :P ) and applied it.I was in a hurry and i wanted to play one TDM before i leave so i just applied Custom wihtout looking at the lenght and width and now it wont even start :(((
I have deleted the Urban terror file again and again and tried to open it, but without success.I rebooted my PC, but without success. I also deleted all UrT files on my desktop and downloaded it again and it didnt work.
Im pretty sure that my Problem is that the Screen settings are way too big for my Screen but is there any way to change the Screen Settings without opening UrT in ubuntu?

You cannot use Ubuntu in this days and expect to have a good performance. You can play with (in my opinion) better performance on Debian system (Ubuntu is based on Debian), better even than Windows performance. Take look on my TOPIC and do some research, cause you can fight with operating systems and Ubuntus and Windows and it is not solution for your problems. There is no one solution for your problem lying in one package or config, you will always experience on Ubuntu some difficulty cause Ubuntu is unstable. This is madness but for normal users its good cause Ubuntu is more than operating system its huge experiment!! If you want to be a good player with stable system, you have (in my opinion) 2 primary options:

1.Use Windows (I do some tests and XP is better for me than 7)
2.Use some Linux system, but stay away from Ubuntus

Even Mac OSX is not the solution, cause 64 bit ioUrbanTerror is slow (in my opinion) on this systems (I have tested this and performance was 45 percent lesser than 32 bits ioUrbanterror)

I think that if you invest your time in Debian system it will help you and your experience will be more stable and without viruses and other problems as well.

#3 User is offline   Jimmyjazz Icon

• Account: jimmyjazz

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:37 AM

I run urt under ubuntu without issues.

your resolution is probably to hight for your screen. to reset the resolution go to your ~/.q3a/q3ut4 folder (this is a hidden folder in your home folder, press [ctrl]+[H] to show hidden files and folders). search for a file called q3config.cfg. you can either simply delete this file (all your settings are lost this way) or open the file and adjust the values seta r_customheight "1080"
seta r_customwidth "1920"seta r_customheight and seta r_customwidth to your screen resolution. start URT.

about the low fps: do you have the latest video drivers installed? unfortunately most drivers under ubuntu (as well as debian btw.) don't perform as well as the windows drivers. It is still possible to archive similar or better performance, depending on system and settings. also you could test running URT with unity 2d which should give better performance (choose it on ubuntus login screen).

generally i would recommend xubuntu for weaker hardware. it might not look that fancy, but it needs less resources.

#4 User is offline   zup100 Icon

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

View PostJimmyjazz, on 19 November 2011 - 04:37 AM, said:

I run urt under ubuntu without issues.

Maybe its true I don't know, but in my experience Ubuntu is slower than Debian and Windows. Slower does not mean that for you should be slow, cause if you have 10GHz processor core quad and newest 4X Cuda Nvidia and DDR5, you will not experience slow performance :)

Do some tests from my topic (mine post before) and then lets talk about performance. Then we should be able to stay on the same ground.

Speaking about issues, for someone there is no issue when (on Ubuntu 10.04) Urban Terror glitches in 6 seconds period. For someone there is no difference between 40fps and 60fps, and for someone like me there is difference between 60fps and 85fps. John Carmack touch on this subject in Interview about Rage:

John Carmack Rage

I like answering for the people who ask and in this topic rottetion ask about good performance on slow machine, so I stand for my previous answers.

#5 User is offline   Jimmyjazz Icon

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

no issue means for me stable 125fps with a clean connection, no periodic lag (which in the past was caused by compiz, the current version doesn't cause this issue for me.
My hardware is about 3 years old and wasn't high end back then.
I am aware, that Ubuntu, especially the last two releases are not the most efficient OSs oth there, i run a striped down ubuntu 10.10 with openbox on my laptop for that matter. However Ubuntu is usable if your hardware isn't too old. Ubuntu has never been an OS for outdated hardware, various mico distros (SliTaz is great and works) or xubuntu do and have done this way better.
I didn't want to say what you are talking about is crap, its' just not that bad in my opinion.
That being said, I'm not a fan of the direction Ubuntu is going the last year either.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   rdd Icon

• Account: rdd

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Just make sure you kill that Compiz crap before playing. That stuff eats FPS for breakfast.

#7 User is offline   Jimmyjazz Icon

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

View Postrdd, on 20 November 2011 - 04:57 PM, said:

Just make sure you kill that Compiz crap before playing. That stuff eats FPS for breakfast.

Can't kill compiz in Unity, which is why i recommended starting up in unity 2d. guess you haven't used ubuntu in a while

This post has been edited by Jimmyjazz: 20 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

#8 User is offline   zup100 Icon

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

View PostJimmyjazz, on 20 November 2011 - 05:40 PM, said:

Can't kill compiz in Unity, which is why i recommended starting up in unity 2d. guess you haven't used ubuntu in a while

So only solution is to logout and run emergency terminal (if there is any) login and do cd .../UrbanTerror/ and ./ioUrbanTerror.i386

Or you can (if there is possibility logout and then in options before make any login choose "Run Ubuntu without efects" or equivalent option. And then to login.

Personally I don't believe that Ubuntu even with this acrobatics will work better than Debian so if it runs fast enough post results in timedemo 1 in my topic (up)! So we can all laugh ...

This post has been edited by zup100: 24 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

#9 User is offline   Jimmyjazz Icon

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:27 AM

Just log out and choose unity 2d in the login options.

And: why shouldnt there be a console?

I got no need (or time i couldn't fill with more entertaining things) to prove you anything. My system is running, i got pretty stable 125fps and am fine with that.
Guess you got to find something else to laugh.

#10 User is offline   zup100 Icon

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

View PostJimmyjazz, on 03 December 2011 - 03:27 AM, said:

Just log out and choose unity 2d in the login options.

And: why shouldnt there be a console?

I got no need (or time i couldn't fill with more entertaining things) to prove you anything. My system is running, i got pretty stable 125fps and am fine with that.
Guess you got to find something else to laugh.

No, cause I laughing right now with your fresh answer :)

I do not want you to prove something, but have a benefit for me and others to know witch machine and witch configuration are working properly. That's all. And I will appreciate your and others answers, cause people often asking me what to do to have steady fps...

This performance subject are lacking support and I want that to be different! I want all players to have steady fps or better performance than current on the same machine. Cause I know how I played on the slower machine in the past and now I fell huge difference!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942