Urban Terror Forums: connection speed vs. frames per second - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

connection speed vs. frames per second Rate Topic: -----

imac i7 late 2010 + fibre "power" = crappy performance

#1 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

hello there...

although i've found an older thread (http://www.urbanterr...__1#entry268511) dealing with the issue at hand i've prefered to open an new thread since i'm using osx and my internet connection might be part of the problem ..

so i'm running urt on an imac i7 late 2010 (2,93 ghz quad core, 12gb ram, ati radeon 5750 1gb)
i've set graphics as low as possible, running the game at 1280x800 (i'm used to this resolution from my old laptop:) .. up to now i thought my crappy internet connection (wireless) might be the reason for my fps drops (usually 125, down to 80 at the worst) but obviously i was wrong about that.. my new fibre "power" connection (35mbps/4mbps) hasn't affected my fps loss in any way.. i might have to add offline i don't suffer fps drops..

has anyone experienced anything similar? any suggestions how to solve this?

raider once posted some useful information about intenet issues in this thread: http://www.urbanterr...2Bspeed__st__10

can anyone tell me how to test my router in osx the way rider describes it (*RaideR Top Tip*)?

yours truly (disappointed)
karl
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#2 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

Hey karl

1) are you still using wireless?

2) playing offline is not the same as online, offline your not waiting for packets to be recieved or with multiple people creating multiple physics such as explosions, bullet marks etc. whilst online there is a lot more work needing done.

3) you could have network issues still, check things like your MTU settings - these are usually arround 1432 on BT normally however I think fibre standard is 1500 so you might be creating issues there. (mind check os settings and router settings)

4) I also find that cleaning out the UT directory from custom files like maps / demos helps me, I cant explain it but its worth a try.

5) maybe post your config file here ?
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#3 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:33 AM

hey nitro ..

nah .. no more wireless for me .. good old cable now..

i'm sorry but i've got no idea what mtu means.. neither do i know what bt means.. furthermore i don't know where to find said settings in my os (it's apple .. clean and simple.. not much to customize:) .. but google might be helpful on this one..

uh.. and yeah lots of custommaps and demos in my urt folder.. might have to get rid of them..

i'll post my config later on.. i'm at work right now.. but my network settings look like the ones in this thread

solong
karl

This post has been edited by KarlMariaSeeberg: 02 December 2011 - 02:50 AM

#4 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:54 AM

People laughed at me when i told them to delete all the junk maps and demos they drag around with them.
I think the game might be scanning the q3ut4 folder from time to time to check for changes, dig through the assets files and what not. If there's a lot of crap in there it takes a lot of time to go through everything.
Makes sense, IF the game is in fact checking the condition of the q3ut4 folder.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

srsrly this shit pisses me off...

deleted all custom crap .....didn't change anything .... it's nearly impossible to hit anything like this...

mtu in my os is set to 1500 ... couldn't find it in my shitty thomson twg850-4u though..

here's my stupid shitcrap config file... god i'm angry right now...

sorry .. it looks like this when i open it using textedit...

Spoiler

longest post ever written :)

tired and angry white man
karl

#7 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Raise your com_hunkmegs, set it to 2/3'rds of your total available RAM.

#8 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

are you telling me .. my stupid computer was using 256 mb ram up to now?.. that would be too weird...

i've got 12 gb ram .. but urt won't open if i increase hunkmegs to 8k .... any ideas why?

and thx for digging through this endless list of boring commands:)

This post has been edited by KarlMariaSeeberg: 02 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

#9 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

1024 MB or 2048 will be more than enough (i had no idea you got 12 freaking gigs).
I got a buddy that has the same processor and manages to get stable 125 on a full 32 slot server so the processor is definitely more than enough to chew up this game and render it without a problem.

#10 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

View PostRayne, on 02 December 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

1024 MB or 2048 will be more than enough (i had no idea you got 12 freaking gigs).
I got a buddy that has the same processor and manages to get stable 125 on a full 32 slot server so the processor is definitely more than enough to chew up this game and render it without a problem.

damn ... that makes it even worse for me... hunkmegs didn't do the trick ... buhu ..

might re-installing urt help any?

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942