• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

making a mini map Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kritya Icon

• Account: kritya
  • Main tag: -VRz-

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hi,

I was making my own map but i couldnt find a way of creating a mini-map for Urban Terror.

Can anyone please help..

Thanks

#2 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Minimap is automaticcly created on the first time you launch map without minimap. It's stored in /maps with name <bsp-name-of-map>.TGA.

#3 User is offline   Kritya Icon

• Account: kritya
  • Main tag: -VRz-

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostMajkiFajki, on 19 January 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

Minimap is automaticcly created on the first time you launch map without minimap. It's stored in /maps with name <bsp-name-of-map>.TGA.

but there isnt a pic that there is like in many maps.

#4 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

1. /devmap your map.
2. Go to SPEC.
3. Turnoff ALL HUD elements by /cg_draw2d 0
4. Go into middle of your map.
5. "Fly high" and turn camera down.
6. Make screenshot.
7. Open in GIMP minimap generated by game (the green one).
8. Open as new layer screenshot of map you made in-game.
9. Set opacity of green minimap layer to lower value to be able to see layer beneath it.
10. Adjust size of screenshot.
11. Crop screenshot to excact size of green minimap.
12. Make sure it fits good.
13. Turn off green minimap layer.
14. Save copy as green minimap file, make sure you use TGA format.
15. Enjoy.

#5 User is offline   Nounou Icon

•   former FS member   
    Concept Artist
  • Account: nounou

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

There's another way to have a minimap more precise. So yes you need photoshop or gimp (i don't know this one) even if precision isn't very important in a minimap for Urt. I can't remember well as i haven't been on gtk for a while.
But doing a printscreen of your 2D map in gtk, with all "hud" set to off like majki's idea;
Like all entities, spawns, flags, lights etc... You just keep the walls visible on your map, you can even modify the grid to make it look clearer. Then if you have photoshop/gimp you can do whatever you want with layers. Try to turn it into negative (ctrl+i I think). And play on levels (ctrl+l) to make the white lines of your screen standing out. Or you can even modify directly the look of your interface in gtk.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

Nounou - why making your life so hard
http://www.custommap...ckaging:Minimap

But I prefer my method, less then 5 minutes and nice minimap is ready.

#7 User is offline   Nounou Icon

•   former FS member   
    Concept Artist
  • Account: nounou

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

Cause i wasn't using q3map2, Photoshop looks simpler to me. But yes, your first method is the simpler one. I've did this for my first map but it was a 4 roofs map so precision was a bit horrible due to perspective. I had minimap which needed some underground brushes part to erase, q3map2 would have saved me, but still I remember now that i wanted to make it look like a kind of pod screen, with the "thanks" and all that too.

#8 User is offline   hodgins Icon

• Account: hodgins

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Simple or good looking, that is the question. And when taken in consideration how the minimap looks on Antic...the choice is rather obvious.

#9 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

I tried to explain how the UrT minimaps are autogenerated on another forum. Here is that explanation:

OK I'll try to explain how the minimap is generated a little bit. Based on my experience.

The size of the minimap is always the same. The scale is determined by taking the extents of your map and cramming it into the size of the minimap image.

The minimap image consists of pixels. Each pixel is calculated independently, sort of.

For each pixel, a "theoretical ray" is shot from the sky straight down into the map. The ray first intersects the brush which is the ceiling of your map. It's whatever the ray intersects the next time that counts. The second thing that the ray hits is what determines the "elevation" of that pixel.

Once all the elevations for all the pixels are calculated, it takes the highest and lowest elevations, making them bright green and black respectively, and interpolates the other elevations to make them between black and green.

If a ray coming from the sky intersects only one brush [I believe] that pixel is transparent (like the "walls of your map" don't show up in the minimap you'll notice). A ray that does not intersect a brush at all also results in a transparent pixel.

There is one nasty bug in the minimap generator. The lowest elevation is actually invisible instead of black. So if my lowest floor is showing up as invisible, I will create a very small hollow box just below the lowest floor's elevation, and that small box's floor will inherit the lowest [invisible] elevation.

From my experience I don't think that structural or detail brushes make a difference for how the pixel elevation is calculated.

#10 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostRambetter, on 20 January 2012 - 11:43 PM, said:

I tried to explain how the UrT minimaps are autogenerated on another forum. Here is that explanation:

OK I'll try to explain how the minimap is generated a little bit. Based on my experience.

The size of the minimap is always the same. The scale is determined by taking the extents of your map and cramming it into the size of the minimap image.

The minimap image consists of pixels. Each pixel is calculated independently, sort of.

For each pixel, a "theoretical ray" is shot from the sky straight down into the map. The ray first intersects the brush which is the ceiling of your map. It's whatever the ray intersects the next time that counts. The second thing that the ray hits is what determines the "elevation" of that pixel.

Once all the elevations for all the pixels are calculated, it takes the highest and lowest elevations, making them bright green and black respectively, and interpolates the other elevations to make them between black and green.

If a ray coming from the sky intersects only one brush [I believe] that pixel is transparent (like the "walls of your map" don't show up in the minimap you'll notice). A ray that does not intersect a brush at all also results in a transparent pixel.

There is one nasty bug in the minimap generator. The lowest elevation is actually invisible instead of black. So if my lowest floor is showing up as invisible, I will create a very small hollow box just below the lowest floor's elevation, and that small box's floor will inherit the lowest [invisible] elevation.

From my experience I don't think that structural or detail brushes make a difference for how the pixel elevation is calculated.

^ this is completely correct. The ray shot down from outside the world skips the first brush it intersects by "burrowing" through it in 8 unit steps until its out in the open space again. It then fires another ray down, and whatever it hits gets written to the minimap.

The rest of it sounds right too, but I wrote it like 8 years ago now.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942