View PostTizz, on 22 April 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

Haters gonna hate. :D

<33

So I"m a hater cause i see something that could use improvement? :D

#142 User is offline   Tizz Icon

• Account: tizz
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

There is a difference between flamewars and constructive observations.

#143 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostTizz, on 22 April 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

There is a difference between flamewars and constructive observations.

And who exactly is flaming lol. Do point him out.

#144 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Posted Image

I saw few things I'd change, this is my personal preference of course.
I'll concentrate on this screen shot cause it basically shows same things as others.

First of all i think the map look very good, i love the details and the abandoned atmosphere is great.

1. Big pipe in the middle of the room. First thing i noticed is the clean metal texture. Everything around it old, damaged and dirty. But the pipe metal looks new.
I think it should be rusty old metal. Maybe a painted metal texture that has paint peeling off. That way you can make a specular with more variety. Painted parts reflect while rusty material underneath is matte.

2. Sliding doors look really cool, but to me they don't really fit in with the rest of the map that is depicting an old industrial zone. I know sliding doors are preferred cause they're faster and don't require any action from player to open them except get close to them. But maybe make some of them permanently open? One side dangling half torn off, and the other ripped out, laying on the floor?

3. The lamp design is cool but you could have used rounded cylinders for those little bars and then vertex light the model. It would look rounder, smoother and a lot better. Frankie told me you're just learning hex and daz3D? SO i guess some of these things will probably be changed by the time the game is released.

4. The bulb is emitting light, but it looks turned off.

5. I really hope those lockers are normal mapped. Even though those are all misc details they're quite big and players will notice them. And they would look amazing with a nice normal map.

6. That looks like a bump map. You can see on the edges how the tile looks soft and rounded, while it should look a bit sharper.
I'd definitely use a normal map instead of a bump map. You can have sharper edges, better specular and with occlusion they will have proper depth and look more natural.

7. The wall texture looks really low res. Which is fine for walls that are above ground or in places players can't get this close to them. But on walls players can literally stick their nose in them i think the resolution should be a bit higher.

The map has a lot of windows, and even though they're nothing that important a low resolution (256) normal map would give them some shine and they'd not just look more realistic but also give the map more "life".

IMO i would replace all the bump maps with normal maps, i only use _b maps for parallax mapping. Blue channel occlusion can give depth to a texture a _b map never can.

I've noticed almost all of your indoor lights are on the ceiling. And then you line up 3 red lamps on one side of the ceiling and 3 white lamps on the other side to light up the room. I'd put some on the wall, just to break it up a bit and in the same time you can make the light a completely different color.
Maybe an exit sign that emits green light? Or something like that.

However on the other side the map has fantastic background depth. Its not like other maps where you hit the wall and there's nothing behind it. The damn in the distance looks great.
Texture look superb, buildings connect seamlessly, all in all the map looks great. Can't wait to play it.

#145 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

This map shows how much power is in good ol' Radiant :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#147 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

View PostBladeKiller, on 22 April 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

Rayne, the engine generates normal maps from the bumpmaps. Nevada is using normal maps though and not bump maps.

Yes but you don't have the control over the process, while when making a normal map yourself you control every step.
No offense intended but if those are all normal maps then IMO they should be reviewed and remade. I've seen those soft edges on tiles on a couple of screen shots and at least that is easy and quick to remake.
I don't know how they were generated but i can see that large details are being forced into the normal map too much which in the end results with softer edges.

#149 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

I know he is, i didn't say his work is bad.
What said was it looks great but some minor details could use some minor improvement.
Official maps set standards, mappers look at official maps and make their own maps look like the official ones.
Her's a screen shot i just took.
On the left is how most mappers will make their normal maps. Too soft, too reflective. Stone walls that look like a giant drooled all over them.
On the right is how i would make it. Lower level specular, sharper, more depth. It could look better if i spent few more minutes when i was making the normal map so it looks too soft for a stone wall IMO.
I'm not hating anyone, or putting someone down, just pointing out that some things can be done in a slightly different way.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Rayne: 22 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

#150 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

Good , the worse of the 2 spots seems is fixed . Not sure if the new reliefshape there is good enough & will not cause to see just '' the eyes of the opponent '' .

I have to agree with Rayne for the lightbulb . In outside areas there are too areas when light don't look natural the way it is now . For the wall & the pipe I don't think should be necessarary changed .

Might must be shown techniques to the 3rd party mappers , but everything in 1 map might should not be . Also there should be more diversity in the maps preferred by the players , not to prefer only few (uptown/turnpike(Nevada) ...) .

There is a lot of way from basics to s . from http://www.youtube.c...lFwM92nM#t=225s to .

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942