Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image
ut4_karkand_b5

Old:(b2)
Spoiler

=====================================UPDATE B5==============================

Hi Guys,

I added some Details, removed some Bugs and so stuff, so the beta5 released.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

mfg nemNEMnem

DOWNLOAD: ut4_karkand_b5

Spoiler

This post has been edited by nemnemnem: 01 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

[img]http://img716.images...0/userbaraf.jpg[/img]
[img]http://nem.cwsurf.de/pics/nem.png[/img]

#2 User is offline   ViperisLT Icon

• Account: viperislt

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Good 'ol karkand.... I think it will suit UrT perfectly, and your map looks pretty good. But one thing I dont like: buildings. Most of the building arent tall enough. I know, I know, its your map, and its still in beta. But I really want to see tall building/skyskapers.
[This signature does not inlcude an overrated joke about arrows and knees.]

#3 User is offline   SubJunk Icon

• Account: subjunk

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Will check it out, thanks

#4 User is offline   Tizz Icon

• Account: tizz
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Your map gives an impression of emptyness. Same textures all over the place. You should add decoration items and give your map a soul. Tho it's still a good start.

This post has been edited by Tizz: 19 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

#5 User is offline   nemnemnem Icon

• Account: nemnemnem

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

/*UPDATE*/
[img]http://img716.images...0/userbaraf.jpg[/img]
[img]http://nem.cwsurf.de/pics/nem.png[/img]

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   rfx Icon

• Account: rfx

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

Whenever I wake up with an idea I've to realize someone on the internet beat me to it ;)

So I was thinking about a karkand map too and found yours. I realize I'm late to the party and since the original download link doesn't work anymore I guess it's abandoned.

You've put a lot of effort it seems, the map feels big and contains already lots of models and details. Since I also planned to do something but probably won't since you already did it, I hope if it's OK to put forth my ideas; maybe it inspires someone, maybe not.

Nevertheless I played it a bit with a friend. Layout-wise the strict grid of the map didn't turn out to be very interesting for UrT. With that I mean the big street surrounding the inner buildings and such.

As someone else mentioned, somehow the scale doesn't work well. At least it didn't for us, play-wise. Some samples:
Posted Image
Posted Image
With that scale, for example the width of the street and few features on the wall, it's hard to proper make use of one of the core mechanics of UrT, wall-jumping. You can do it, but the benefits are too small.

One of the buildings you built outside the reachable space absolutely looks like it should be part of the map; it looks like a in-construction building and that would give nice movement for the different open-spaces floors:
Posted Image

Too bad you didn't include the other "floors" of city what makes karkand; you ended it with a tank but already did the slope:
Posted Image
I think continuing the map here would be perfect for UrT style.

Although I'm no one to judge anyone, here would be my suggestions .. or probably my take on it :)
  • the mood of karkand was always this city in the desert somewhere; I'd continue that and lighting it up a lot more (but not to the point of casa/abbey; and IMHO it's good you didn't reused textures from them)
  • to me the map looks 1/3 done. I'm saying this because I'd include the lower floors of the city too, i.e. continuing the map down the slope. Since that would probably give a disadvantage to the team start on the lower level, I'd suggest the part on the lower level is the "middle" of the map and probably mirror the part you did on the other side for the other team.
  • Scale-wise I think I would reduce the space between the building and would make it more interesting to explore their first/second levels, i.e. build them taller. Especially some things like the iconic hotel would be great. With that, I would probably reduce the whole part you did to ... maybe half of it, or even a third and invest the rest of it into continuing down the slope and later going up again so it's more balanced. I realize the scale fits the Battlefield map (can be seen very good from the top of the building next to the market place with the ladder on the back)
  • I probably would also include a back- and sea-side to provide alternative routes to the two ends of the map.

Thanks for reading ;)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942