Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

How often do you reboot your server? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hey, I am wondering if there is anyone out there that runs their UrT server for more than 2 months before restarting it.

I would like to know if there are any bugs that get triggered after such a long amount of time. For example, does rcon stop working? Do certain logs stop begin written?

The reason I'm asking is because the server code does a "time wrap" where it resets the server time back to 0, and I'm just wondering if there are any bugs associated with that. The "time wrap" happens in 23 days, but after it happens twice, some time variables overflow even if they're interpreted as unsigned integers.

#2 User is offline   theRipper Icon

• Account: theripper
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

god i hope nobody runs their server that long without reboot

EDIT: ...without rotating logs :>

This post has been edited by theRipper: 08 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

A.K.A. [idgaf.]Face(Clan Leader)

#3 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

View PostRambetter, on 08 March 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

Hey, I am wondering if there is anyone out there that runs their UrT server for more than 2 months before restarting it.

I would like to know if there are any bugs that get triggered after such a long amount of time. For example, does rcon stop working? Do certain logs stop begin written?

The reason I'm asking is because the server code does a "time wrap" where it resets the server time back to 0, and I'm just wondering if there are any bugs associated with that. The "time wrap" happens in 23 days, but after it happens twice, some time variables overflow even if they're interpreted as unsigned integers.

well I never restart my server unless needed for something like a kernel upgrade, about 46 days ago I upgraded my kernel to linux version 3.0 and ever since then my game servers have run.

I automate my servers though, log files automatically rotate every 24 hours and are archived every week. if the server were to ever crash it would be automatically restarted, and a log of crash created and emailed to me.

the game server has been up for 45 days 20 hours 48 minutes as of this post without any noticable problems or emails received.
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#4 User is offline   3spades Icon

•   verified donor   
    Support Guy
  • Account: 3spades

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

Server/OS I only restart when I need to do something like swap a dead drive or if a kernel just patched some serious exploits. I have only once seen server log "warps" where in the middle of a game there is logs from a game played the day before. I don't recall the circumstances and I don't really look at game logs enough ti care. I personally restart my game instances (when they're running) each morning with cron daily. A script send a shutdown, rotates the log, parses it for vsp, and the sleep in the shell script the game runs on kicks in for a fresh start.
urt.voxel.net :: Ruining your URT experience [2] weapons limited servers at a time.
Kevlar in CTF is like sex with a condom. Sure you get the general feel of things, but everyone would enjoy the game without it.

#5 User is offline   zombiebob Icon

• Account: zombiebob
  • Main tag: [UZF]

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

yep i have run a server for a long time >2months

yes i have seen something weird with regard to time's, it seems that after a certain amount of time the server would just randomly restart the map and if i remember correctly everyone has to reconnect but not sure about that last bit

bullet_loaderAdvertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942