Urban Terror Forums: Crazy bottleneck, freezes and fps drops - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Crazy bottleneck, freezes and fps drops Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   bpandetta Icon

• Account: bpandetta

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hi all!!
I'm new on this forum but it's 1 year that i'm playing UrT.

I list my problems:

Spoiler

Here my pc specs:

Spoiler

ATI CATALYST updated today

q3config:
Spoiler

I use Urt 4.1.1

I can say that i had always this problems but now is realy unplayiable.

I play always in 36 player servers and there's not much improvement if the server is full or not.

I used tuneup utility but only few improvements for fps

Any ideas?

#2 User is offline   attackxie Icon

• Account: attackxie

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:00 AM

http://urtdevs.com/project.html#client
try either iourbanterror2 or dirf client remember to wipe your cfg and set r_simpleshaders 1
either build should take some of the strain off you're cpu

This post has been edited by attackxie: 07 June 2012 - 03:01 AM

#3 User is offline   LordAmit Icon

• Account: lordamit

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

Sometimes when a teammate use radio calls the game freeze briefly.

I have the exact problem. Any solution anyone?

#4 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: obscure

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

Try out mitsu's optimized build.

Funstuff, Radio Audio and part of other audio are pre-Loaded to avoid potential freezes of FPS (blocks of rendering, shown with blank gaps on lag meter). This was a q3-wide UrT issue that applied when someone else joins the game or funstuff is set on the fly, or when some audio files are heard for the 1st time.

Thread -> http://www.urbanterr...of-ioq3-engine/

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

#5 User is offline   LordAmit Icon

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

View PostObScUrE, on 11 June 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

Try out mitsu's optimized build.

Thread -> http://www.urbanterr...of-ioq3-engine/

I tried it, but for some reason it runs a bit slow. I then tried SACC client - which worked perfectly until I reinstalled windows. Then even the SACC client started showing the exact same problem. is not there any other way to solve this problem?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Tizz Icon

• Account: tizz
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

Hello lordamit,

I can understand your FPS issues, since I'm fighting against it for the years I'm playing this game ever since.

Even with a pretty good PC config (AMD Phenom XII, HD 6870, 8Go RAM, as far as I'm concerned), I think it's pretty impossible to totally get rid of FPS drops. I got drops in CTF on some specific maps and specific areas (such as Street on Algiers, or Crossway on Abbey, or the whole Uptown map). It's ok since aside those maps/areas, I'm always at 125 FPS and those drops don't hurt my game so badly. Though I can understand how frustrating it is not to have a totally smooth game even with a decent computer.

However, here some tips you can try out :
- Reading this : http://dailynade.com...gh-cvar-tweaks/
- Reading this : http://www.urbanterr...eshootings/#1.9
- Playing on 'decent' servers : located in or close to the country you live in, with around 15 players max (CTF is played only 5o5 in official competitions, just so you know...), etc. All those affect your FPS : you'll have enough FPS on a 10-player server, playing on Turnpike regularly, but your FPS will suck if you play on a 30-player server on Uptown with nubs using smokes, etc. Choose your server carefully!
- Update your graphic pilots. Upgrade your graphic card if you think you have to.
- 'Clean up' your Windows : disk defrag, windows reinstallation, fan cleaning (air dust), etc. Try not to overuse your hard drive.
- You already tried to different rebuilds available outhere. Thats a good thing. You should stick with the sacc rebuild which is pretty ok, personnally im playing with it.

About the other problems you mentioned :
- Freezes when people use radio samples : that's a common issue, the freeze comes from drive access when a sample is used for the first time of the game. Mitsu rebuild fixes the problem, probably so do some others.
- Stuck when reloading : also a common bug. Will be fixed in the 4.2 release (probably out during this summer - this is the version that will be publicly tested at the French lan at Paris June the 30th).
- Climbing issue : don't really know what your talking about, but probably some jump skills missing on your side. ;) Take years to master, honestly.
- Other players freezing or warping : again, you should check whether it's a 'network' problem or just random FPS drops. If it's network related, you can't really do anything but finding another server with players of your continent or just fix your connection. How bad is your netgraph? It should display only a thin green bar. If you got red lines, black gaps, yellow picks... then your connnection definitively has a problem.

I'm also readying that you play for 1 year, which is really not much comapring to other people around. So, if you see some guys going really really fast, jumping around, 'warping' around corner... it's just normal, and just the result of years spent on this game, mastering movements skills. You probably have alot to learn. ;)

Feel free to ask for anything else if you need it. Cheers.

#7 User is offline   LordAmit Icon

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

Thank you Tizz. Glad to have the information you provided. Many of my confusions are gone now. I am going to check out the cvar environment tweaks and the fps drop article you have shared.

Once again, thank you for the detailed post :)

#8 User is offline   Tizz Icon

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hehe, you're welcome mate. :)

#9 User is offline   LordAmit Icon

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

I have done used the ultra low settings. Everything looks like a painting now, fountains in casa looks like an umbrella, trees in abbey looks like trimmed, FPS now is very high compared to the previous settings - and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Once again, thank you Tizz :D

The map is useless now btw. Everything looks blurry in it. Arrows look like light bulbs. I will have to do some more tweaking I guess.

BTW - mysteriously - the sound problem stopped as well. Looks like this problem has a mind of its own!

This post has been edited by lordamit: 14 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

#10 User is offline   Tizz Icon

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

Well, even if I can play with high settings, I'm playing with low settings, and I'm sure most of competitive players do the same. Easier to see opponents on a plain colour wall.

Indeed you may have to tweak this according to your preferences. Some settings have an important impact on what the game looks like but actually won't help much for your FPS. You gotta run some tries. ;)

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942