Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

raspberry pi & other arm? Rate Topic: -----

new cheap "computers"

#1 User is offline   loseronlinux Icon

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

Anyone watching the raspberry pi has seen that they have quake3 running decently well, apparently at 133fps (screenshot at http://www.raspberry...g/archives/1139).

Anyone think it's worth a shot to try a port of UrT? I know it's way more resource heavy and more than just a recompile. The 256MB shared between the cpu and gpu is possibly the killer part (texture packs, etc).

On another note, I recently received a mele a1000 (cortex a8, mali 400 512MB). No reason this shouldn't be able to run UrT when the GPU drivers are further along.

Just curious about any comments, etc.

#2 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

why would anyone want too? its likes Quake3/urt for iphone/android pointless
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#3 User is offline   zup100 Icon

• Account: zup100

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

View PostNitro, on 02 May 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

why would anyone want too? its likes Quake3/urt for iphone/android pointless

No its not, but your post is only pointless.
For that reason:

I love to review demos from Q3 and I would like to review demos from UrbanTerror on phone as well, when I'm in bed or car or even with friends drinking beer I love to watch with them!

So, only for your grandma that is pointless...
And for Emo kids too, cause UrbanTerror has no emotional music inside...

This post has been edited by zup100: 16 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

#4 User is offline   banksy Icon

• Account: banksy
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

It would be incredibly hard to play

#5 User is offline   Taenon Icon

• Account: taenon

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

Being in possession of a RaspberryPi I would be surprised if it could run UrT smoothly (it doesn't run LXDE smoothly...), but I'm not sure I get all the negativity. This is just one of maaaaany ARM based computers to come, many in a traditional desktop form-factor.

I regularly run my Pi on a 1080p 22 inch monitor with keyboard, mouse and ethernet. What about that is any more difficult to play on than the exact same setup with my x86_64 desktop? The ODROID-X can run Ubuntu and Fedora and UrT runs on those (in the x86 versions).

There are powerful little ARM boxes coming down the pipe and I for one would love to play UrbanTerror on them. The performance is there, the interface is there, the only thing that is missing is an AMR UrT binary. What about the Ouya Android console? Are we going to pass up that market too? If the developers don't want to put in the time to support ARM, then fine, we'll go play Open Source or ARM compiled games on our non-x86 computers. But anyone saying it is pointless should read the news.
Any other UCSD Grad students? PM me!

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Rylius Icon

• Account: rylius
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

"only an ARM binary" isn't the real thing (I'm not familiar with the architecture at all, so don't quote me on anything) but generally you need people to maintain the code for each architecture. It's not just "compile and release" - it's adjust code for ARM, build the ARM toolchain, compile, test, test, test, test.
See http://www.urbanterr...nt/page__st__10 , similar situation.

Ouya doesn't have support for a mouse and a keyboard, does it?
And if you want to play UrT without those two you kinda missed what the game is about.
inb4 "can be hacked herp a derp"

This post has been edited by Rylius: 18 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

#7 User is offline   Taenon Icon

• Account: taenon

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

UrT isn't open source and I'm not on the dev team so I'm not saying what the development team should or should not do with their time. Obviously it would take time to get out the door (HD anyone?), but that wasn't my point. My point was that the Raspberry Pi and these other ARM based computers are full fledged computers, and dismissing them as being "incredibly hard to play" on or "Quake3/urt for iphone/android pointless" shows that people need to gather a bit more information before they judge.

I agree that the Ouya is probably not an appropriate development target for UrT, but, as you correctly pointed out, because you would perhaps be eaten alive if using a controller (we won't get into OpenGL [ES]). Not because "ewww, things that are different are scary."
Any other UCSD Grad students? PM me!

#8 User is offline   Dougy Icon

• Account: dougy

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

Wow, can't be;ieve i've never seen a Raspberry Pi, them things look damn cool, i'm gonna buy one next time i get money :P

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942