• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Server Hosting Requirements Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Harou Icon

• Account: harou

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

Howmuch CPU, RAM, and bandwidth necessary per player?

Anything else I should know?

thanks.

#2 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

Hi Harou, welcome to the forums.

I currently host a 32 slot server and can give you some stats based on its usage:

when full the server uses on average 15-20% of 1 core of a 2.93GHz Quad cpu.
the server is allocated 128MB of ram and typically only uses arround 100MB~ (but if running custom maps you could have higher figures)
our server peaks at arround 1.5Mbit accumulative bandwidth (down and up together)
our server typically uses ~300GB per month but this is closer to nearly 350GB per month due to recent DrDOS attacks.

for more stats you can have a look at my servers stats here: http://lilpwny.com/i...hp?page=sysinfo

I personally recommend dedicated server hosting (either rented via game server provider or self maintained colocated server)
virtual servers can be hit and miss and a lot of hassle inbetween especially right now with the DRDOS attacks.
servers hosted from home can cause plenty of problems, so if your planning this route be prepare to do a lot of searching for solutions since quite a few of us will not help home server owner as we believe they do more damage than good.

Personal Tip: if your planning on starting mulitple server (i.e. for a clan) DON'T, this is why a lot of clans fail, they believe they must have multiple server (i.e. 1 pub, 1 pcw, 1practice) this can easily be managed all in one server AND you'll need admins to keep the server clean, managing one server is hard work to begin with, so build your servers based on previous success.

if your a rising server owner and wish to make the best out of your experience you should take a read at these following posts to make sure you have all the information needed to get started:

How to start your first server on linux: http://www.urbanterr...r-first-server/
Server setup guide and useful tools: http://www.urbanterr...up-guide-tools/
Get upto date with DRDOS: http://www.urbanterr...ic/27825-drdos/

Good luck and have fun,

if you need any help feel free to ask (after a quick search to see if your question has been answered before ofcourse :) )
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#3 User is offline   Harou Icon

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostNITRO, on 12 May 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

Hi Harou, welcome to the forums.

I currently host a 32 slot server and can give you some stats based on its usage:

when full the server uses on average 15-20% of 1 core of a 2.93GHz Quad cpu.
the server is allocated 128MB of ram and typically only uses arround 100MB~ (but if running custom maps you could have higher figures)
our server peaks at arround 1.5Mbit accumulative bandwidth (down and up together)
our server typically uses ~300GB per month but this is closer to nearly 350GB per month due to recent DrDOS attacks.

for more stats you can have a look at my servers stats here: http://lilpwny.com/i...hp?page=sysinfo

I personally recommend dedicated server hosting (either rented via game server provider or self maintained colocated server)
virtual servers can be hit and miss and a lot of hassle inbetween especially right now with the DRDOS attacks.
servers hosted from home can cause plenty of problems, so if your planning this route be prepare to do a lot of searching for solutions since quite a few of us will not help home server owner as we believe they do more damage than good.

Personal Tip: if your planning on starting mulitple server (i.e. for a clan) DON'T, this is why a lot of clans fail, they believe they must have multiple server (i.e. 1 pub, 1 pcw, 1practice) this can easily be managed all in one server AND you'll need admins to keep the server clean, managing one server is hard work to begin with, so build your servers based on previous success.

if your a rising server owner and wish to make the best out of your experience you should take a read at these following posts to make sure you have all the information needed to get started:

How to start your first server on linux: http://www.urbanterr...r-first-server/
Server setup guide and useful tools: http://www.urbanterr...up-guide-tools/
Get upto date with DRDOS: http://www.urbanterr...ic/27825-drdos/

Good luck and have fun,

if you need any help feel free to ask (after a quick search to see if your question has been answered before ofcourse :) )

Wow, thanks for the great detailed reply. Really appreciate that advice and the answer to my questions. Which host do you use? I had a dedicated in mind and it's why I was asking about resource usage.

This post has been edited by Harou: 12 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

#4 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostHarou, on 12 May 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

Wow, thanks for the great detailed reply. Really appreciate that advice and the answer to my questions. Which host do you use? I had a dedicated in mind and it's why I was asking about resource usage.

I own my server hardware so I colocate it to a company called rapid switch ( www.rapidswitch.com ) they are UK based.

if your looking for a uk host then their dedicated servers start at £39 (excluding VAT @ 20%) per month

and its decent enough spec to handle multiple game servers:

dual core 2.2GHz
2GB Ram
160GB HDD
100Mbit @ 5000GB/per month
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#5 User is offline   Harou Icon

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

View PostNITRO, on 12 May 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

I own my server hardware so I colocate it to a company called rapid switch ( www.rapidswitch.com ) they are UK based.

if your looking for a uk host then their dedicated servers start at £39 (excluding VAT @ 20%) per month

and its decent enough spec to handle multiple game servers:

dual core 2.2GHz
2GB Ram
160GB HDD
100Mbit @ 5000GB/per month

Thanks, I was thinking something NA based. Is there much competition in NA for this game? ET was a great game but it died off in NA and it's horrible to see. The dedicated would be a future choice anyway, I'd probably end up using EscapedTurkey to start off with because of the value.

Also I'd need to send a scan of my ID to UK to prove I'm a US citizen and remove the VAT right? And you know there's this host which is pretty good, I've used it before to host Metin2 servers: www.kimsufi.ie. I was wondering if the 2nd system was good enough and from your answers they tell me it is. They offer 15TB bandwidth at 100mbit (there's a 70% chance you get a dedicated full duplex 1Gbit port). Once you exceed 15TB bandwidth they lower the speed to 10Mbps (not sure if it lowers to 10 or 100 on 1Gbit, I had the 1Gbit but never exceeded 15TB)

This post has been edited by Harou: 13 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

you dont need crazy figures to get started, some of the biggest clans still use escaped turkey, nothing wrong with that.

an example would be 1up clan, they are very successful and still use escaped turkey.

500GB bandwidth a month would be enough to host a big slot popular server or multiple medium slot servers, teamspeak/vent/mumble, website/forum.
sometimes it can be easier to run with a server someone else is hosting for you (i.e. escaped turkey), since any problems you have, they'll want to fix it fast to keep you as a customer, running a dedicated server means if you mess it up, you fix it and I know theres days were I just dont have the will power to sit down a fix issues so they get put on the back burner. also with a server provider you dont worry about uptime, or bandwidth, thats what you pay them for.

disk space: few gigs will do you, although quality is preferred over storage capacity. my game servers run off 60GB SSD for fast read/writes for such things as logs and database queries for things like B3 bot. all non essential data is offloaded to a 640GB drive where storage matters over speed.

ram: not much is needed 512MB could easily handle a website/forum, teamspeak and 1-2 servers.

CPU: this game is old tech, so it doesn't like new tech as much a single core 3.0ghz server will probably be better that a 2.0ghz dual core/hyper threading. the server doesn't seem to utilise multiple cores.

bandwidth: 10mbits link is fine, most dedi resellers offer 100mbit which is good for fast downloads of custom maps.

I started off hosting urt servers by renting one from a game server provider called solidgameservers.com (i dont think they exist anymore, I was their biggest customer according to the owner) it was a perfect solution for over a year until i want to expand, then I moved up to renting a dedi. few stumbles here and there with dedi server providers left me running on a friends VPS for a while, nowadays I own my hardware.

if your just starting out then 1 escaped turkey server sounds like a solid plan, monthly - no commitments, if things go south your not in a contract, if things get going good, then you can always upgrade and grow.

This post has been edited by NITRO: 13 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

#7 User is offline   Harou Icon

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:04 AM

Ok.. thing is I've only come across maybe 3 or 4 people who give me a real challenge in this game and I think one of them was possibly hacking. It seems people who play ETPRO just rage people in other shooters.. ET is like no game I've seen before and probably the game which takes most skill to be successful in. That's why it has had more PBBANS than all PB supported games combined I guess.. Ofc pb doesn't support it anymore, and PB was crap / ET was open source.. so anyway I don't know much people or what people like as far as settings on a server.. What would be my move in this case?

I'd like to play in some leagues, possibly make my own clan so it can be done how I want it to be done.. which is why I'm thinking about a server. Hopefully I can recruit some NA ET players since ET is basically dead in NA anyway..

This post has been edited by Harou: 14 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

#8 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

Well if you truly are having a hard time finding someone to match your skill level when playing in pubs, you should definitely join a league.

one thing to note, is that on average there is around 2000 players in this game, and over 1000 servers. Make sure to ask yourself, is a another server really worth it? its not easy getting a server started at first since there is a large amount of choice for players. If you plan on starting a clan then perhaps you don't need a server, atleast not until you've built up a team. That way you'll have clan members to help start the server and maintain it whilst your not around. There are a few clans out there with no servers such as |ALPHA| and wTf|

#9 User is offline   Harou Icon

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostNITRO, on 14 May 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Well if you truly are having a hard time finding someone to match your skill level when playing in pubs, you should definitely join a league.

one thing to note, is that on average there is around 2000 players in this game, and over 1000 servers. Make sure to ask yourself, is a another server really worth it? its not easy getting a server started at first since there is a large amount of choice for players. If you plan on starting a clan then perhaps you don't need a server, atleast not until you've built up a team. That way you'll have clan members to help start the server and maintain it whilst your not around. There are a few clans out there with no servers such as |ALPHA| and wTf|

Yeah good point. I just need a way to get some good team to pick me up for a league :D
which are the leagues UrT is in?

This post has been edited by Harou: 14 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

#10 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

I dont play in the leagues, its not my style. but there are lots of leagues that support urt.

a few of the top of my head:
clanbase, FTW:GL, urban zone

someone will hopefully post more for you.

This post has been edited by NITRO: 14 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942