Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Cannot setup a local server? Rate Topic: -----

Have the server on a Linux Server but is not showing up in the list

#1 User is offline   texmansru47 Icon

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

I have downloaded the Urban Terror Software and loaded it to my CENTOS 5.X Linux Server. Everything appears to be right:

start.sh (located in the /home/urt/urbanterror/ directory:

#!/bin/bash
while true
do
/home/urt/urbanterror/ioUrTded.i386 +set fs_game q3ut4 +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 27960 +set com_hunkmegs 128 +exec server.cfg
echo "server crashed on `date`" > last_crash.txt
done

It seems to load (I get the following warning at the end of the run of the start.sh execution: "Hitch Warning: 2681 msec frame time"

When I start the application on my Windows 7 box, I cannot see this server on the list (I cannot see it in the local server list or can I create it on the favorites.

Any ideas of why this server is not listing properly?

Thanks in advance... Tom

#2 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

View Posttexmansru47, on 16 July 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

I have downloaded the Urban Terror Software and loaded it to my CENTOS 5.X Linux Server. Everything appears to be right:

start.sh (located in the /home/urt/urbanterror/ directory:

#!/bin/bash
while true
do
/home/urt/urbanterror/ioUrTded.i386 +set fs_game q3ut4 +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 27960 +set com_hunkmegs 128 +exec server.cfg
echo "server crashed on `date`" > last_crash.txt
done

It seems to load (I get the following warning at the end of the run of the start.sh execution: "Hitch Warning: 2681 msec frame time"

When I start the application on my Windows 7 box, I cannot see this server on the list (I cannot see it in the local server list or can I create it on the favorites.

Any ideas of why this server is not listing properly?

Thanks in advance... Tom

Hi tom, Unfortunately Frozen Sands do not support Home Servers (servers hosted over a consumer network).

however I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with the setup the way it is, and its doing exactly what you configured it to do. If you want to configure it for local connections only then you have not configured your server properly.
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#3 User is offline   texmansru47 Icon

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

View PostNitro, on 16 July 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

Hi tom, Unfortunately Frozen Sands do not support Home Servers (servers hosted over a consumer network).

however I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with the setup the way it is, and its doing exactly what you configured it to do. If you want to configure it for local connections only then you have not configured your server properly.

So I cannot just use this server locally for my own use? The server works for everything else... I will check the IPTABLES for the proper port to see if that helps.

#5 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

ok maybe I misunderstood the decision behind supporting home networks, thanks raider.

In that case tom I can give you the answer:

+set dedicated 2

decicated 1 = Broadcast to Local Area Network
dedicated 2 = Broadcast to Wide Area Network
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Pussnboots Icon

• Account: pussnboots

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:54 AM

View PostNitro, on 16 July 2012 - 03:11 AM, said:

ok maybe I misunderstood the decision behind supporting home networks, thanks raider.

In that case tom I can give you the answer:

+set dedicated 2

decicated 1 = Broadcast to Local Area Network
dedicated 2 = Broadcast to Wide Area Network

@Nitro You didn't read what he posted. He has WAN set properly.

@texman
It's likely a routing issue.
Hitch warning is (simply) referring to CPU usage / script delay.. No biggy and it's to be expected.

Did you set port forwarding (Or DMZ) in your router to your servers local IP?

Are you using more than one router? (Is your modem bridged or routed?.. Does it give you a local address directly plugged into it?)

Most newer modems are routed instead of bridged to reduce IP (IP v4) usage.

Suggestions:

Routed Modem:

1: Connect server directly to routed modem.
2: Port forward or DMZ modem to local ip (ifconfig to get it)

Routed modem (single port):

1: Get a simple switch (4 port or less.. NOT a router or a Hub!)
2: Plug server and all other hard wired devices into switch
3: Follow instructions for routed modem.

If you have a router behind a routed modem, you are playing with fire unless you understand networking and it eccentricities.. I'm assuming that since you are here, networking is not your forte.

In that case, just follow the instructions above.My provider Time Warner Cable does not like to have "unauthorized" servers on it's networ so I had to do some adjusting myself :D

But, you can make it work :D

Also, one other suggestion, change your hostame to your ip address in the nix terminal. > hostname YourIpAddress

You may also want to manually set your external IP in the shell file (.sh) by adding +set net_ip YourIpAddress

Again, I don't know your entire network situation, but this should give you a good jump start on where to look and what to change :D

Other suggestions:

1: Be sure your filters (Empty / TDM) are not on in your client
2: Can you connect to it via external address? ( /connect youripaddress) and can others? (External can still be routed internally depending on net config)
3: Validate iptables (iptables -L); Make sure it is not blocking incoming packets/requests. Many Nix distros default to a strong security including blocking ICMP.. You could also validate that just by pinging it's local IP. If no request returns, you're likely to have iptables firewall conflict. But also check the iptables rules anyways to be sure it isn't blocking UDP connections.

This post has been edited by Pussnboots: 16 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

#7 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostPussnboots, on 16 July 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

@Nitro You didn't read what he posted. He has WAN set properly.

puss i think you didnt read his post correctly, he wants local server for his lan only.

therefor he needs to change his settings to reflect that.

by using +set dedicated 1

#8 User is offline   Pussnboots Icon

• Account: pussnboots

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

View PostNitro, on 16 July 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

puss i think you didnt read his post correctly, he wants local server for his lan only.

therefor he needs to change his settings to reflect that.

by using +set dedicated 1

Au Contraire good sir! Touche!

<-- You are correct indeed! My bad. :D

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942