Urban Terror Forums: quake3 + xmms + teamspeak + etc. in cheap cards - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

quake3 + xmms + teamspeak + etc. in cheap cards Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:21 AM

I was wondering if anyone has managed to get low latency in mixing audio streams of quake3 + xmms for example.

I have a second pci card and I may plug it in, or I may buy a better card but I'm still looking into it before doing so.

I have an onboard 5:1 nforce2 ac97 realtek and I've managed to get multisound with alsa that sounds ok, I think even in doom3 - but with some problems there - but for quake3 + xmms I've only done it with artsd. With artsd though even if it runs in high priority, latency is so high, the game is unplayable(like 1 second or a bit less delay).

Also, I have no idea exactly how 5:1 cards work but don't they have 6 output channels? Is it that difficult to plug in 2 more speakers, say.. headphones and have two sources?

maybe I should ask this to a more apropriate forum but I'll take my chances here, gamers seem to be interested in this function.

#2 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:19 AM

my emu10k1 does fine. never managed to do it (with also and its oss emulation only) on a cheap (read: no hardware mixing) card. alsa's dmix should be able to do that though, but its a hell of a mess to set up and i never managed to get it working properly.

youre really better of buying a cheap sb live from ebay.

#3 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:45 PM

dmix is supposed to do it but I don't think it can right now. I was reading about a patch, then the patch is in new releases and I run a new release of alsa and still no luck with it.

In fact I haven't found a single user that has managed to do mixing with those cheap onboard 5:1 cards without artsd or sth similar and a hell of a latency(1 second or similar).

Yeah, maybe I should get a sb live or plug a sb pci I've got from my old pc if the setup will make it convenient..

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:09 AM

doh! my old sb card may not be 5:1 but gives /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1 :-)

since I don't have 5:1 speakers yet.. who cares :-)

edit: erm, and /dev/adsp in alsa oss emulation which is better I guess

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942