Urban Terror Forums: Starting up a server on internet source - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Starting up a server on internet source Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   bjxw Icon

• Account: bjxw

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows how to make a server I created visible on the servers list. So far I've gotten to the point where it is visible on the source type local. I wanted to make it visible to others so I can play privately with my friends. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   backtrack Icon

• Account: backtrack

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

I've had this problem so many times, and I've asked in the forum just as many. It seems to me like it's either impossible to host a server if you don't hire an expensive company to do it for you, or, the community just doesn't want new players to host their own servers - dooming the game right away.

UrT isn't BF3, with hundreds of thousands of players willing to pay hundreds of dollars/month to get their own server. I belive every UrT player should be able to host his own server from his home (easily), just to let this community grow some, and it definately would.

I've been told that the reason why you can't host from home is that the dev team (or who ever is in charge here) belives that the lack of good internet connection at ppl's homes is common, and that a lot of unplayable servers would kill the community. A soulution to that problem could be an option in the menu to sort the server list by "confirmed good server" (hosted by wellknown ppl or clans) and "not a confirmed good server" (for private/temporary/lowquality severs) ,or something like that. If it was like that, ppl could still easily find a high quality server hosted by any of the greatest clans what so ever and poor teanagers could find their friends' servers by sorting to the lower quality list.

It's a big minus that "start server" just simply does not work.

Just saying <--BackTrack<--

#3 User is offline   Driller Icon

•   community admin   
  • Account: driller
  • Main tag: uJ|

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Poor quality of most homeservers is reason why there is not much support for it. People will move to another game if the first few servers they encounter are poorly setup home servers

But you are right, i think you will be able to sort on HOME servers and MODS, and in normal searching you wont see (unsurported) mods and (unsurported) homeservers. Not sure, but i think this will be so, in urtHD and mybe urt4.2

#4 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

View Postbacktrack, on 01 August 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

I've had this problem so many times, and I've asked in the forum just as many. It seems to me like it's either impossible to host a server if you don't hire an expensive company to do it for you, or, the community just doesn't want new players to host their own servers - dooming the game right away.

UrT isn't BF3, with hundreds of thousands of players willing to pay hundreds of dollars/month to get their own server. I belive every UrT player should be able to host his own server from his home (easily), just to let this community grow some, and it definately would.

I've been told that the reason why you can't host from home is that the dev team (or who ever is in charge here) belives that the lack of good internet connection at ppl's homes is common, and that a lot of unplayable servers would kill the community. A soulution to that problem could be an option in the menu to sort the server list by "confirmed good server" (hosted by wellknown ppl or clans) and "not a confirmed good server" (for private/temporary/lowquality severs) ,or something like that. If it was like that, ppl could still easily find a high quality server hosted by any of the greatest clans what so ever and poor teanagers could find their friends' servers by sorting to the lower quality list.

It's a big minus that "start server" just simply does not work.

Just saying <--BackTrack<--

"start server" works perfectly fine, if you cannot read a manual and understand it then you shouldn't be tinkering with it in the first place.

We dont support home servers as this game has "enough" servers. we don't need more popping up offering low quality games, due to poor internet or players not configuring their servers properly. current servers/players numbers = 2 players per server, BF3 probably has ~100's of player per server.

the answer to the question is simple the server was started in LAN mode and not DEDICATED mode, but If you didnt read the manual then you wouldn't have known this which is why people around here don't like giving support to home server admins, because they waste a lot of time. Home servers can be easily setup and can rival professional hardware if you have the time to learn and do the ground work yourself, but this isn't normally the case, its usually some 12year old that wants to play god, and wants help doing it.
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942