• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An optimized? engine for 4.2 Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#21 User is offline   undead Icon

• Account: undead

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

View Poststrata, on 07 August 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

The cvars were renamed because a few months ago, slackin requested that I keep them because he keeps track of sacc users via pugbot. (userinfo strings)

Ick. It's a lot of change for no reason. What if you adjust one info string so it says you use SACC without changing all of that stuff?

Can you not do all of the printf -> dprintf and PRINT_ALL -> PRINT_DEVELOPER stuff? IIRC that's in the official client too but it's just churn. If you want to maintain a fork of ioquake3, you don't want trivial changes like that making your life difficult. Smaller diff is better.

View Poststrata, on 07 August 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

Because I'm a git noob, this all started with a diff between ioUrbanTerror_2007 - I don't remember what SVN of ioquake3 it was based on (at the time I did lol) - and ioquake3. Then manually hacked it into ioquake3 trunk, added sacc and dmaHD. Then I realized that there needs to be a way to keep track of all these changes. I'm doing my best. Could always use more help! :S

What's your plan for updating if you didn't fork it from an upstream ioquake3? :)

You could base it off of my ioquake3_mirror if you want the latest updates. There's no good solution because I may leave the UrT scene and miss changes. You could of course create your own ioquake3_mirror against their SVN but then you would have the same annoyance that I have with keeping it up to date. It would be best if the ioquake3 project either switched to mercurial or git or had an official mirror so you could trust it.

I would volunteer to help you but my UrT journey ends with 4.x. I just looked at their Sys_StartProcess...

#22 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:34 AM

View Poststrata, on 07 August 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

All of this is in fun and desire to explore new ideas. If you don't like it, use the stock client and quit bitching. I'm not removing this feature, period.

First of all, the only reason I'm in here talking about this is because you characterized people who feel these things degrade the game as "crying rape victims". That's a great way to get along with people...

Me using the stock client doesn't prevent other people from using non-stock clients. That's my point, if a client gives an advantage, then ALL users are forced to use it, or be at a disadvantage.

You are the one who is crying about leagues who want to draw their own line about what features they want to allow and what are too cheat like. Don't you think leagues need to be able to draw that line? There's a whole bunch of other things a client could do that grey the line between ok and cheating. Many people feel sound alteration crosses that line. For example I consider Ikalizer a cheat client. Anyhow, you can make whatever client you want, and leagues can make the choices they want. I never asked you to remove the feature and I'm not asking now.

But I feel I have made a kind gesture by not releasing binaries with said feature included and leave it up to anyone who wishes to have it to figure it out on their own.

Yes, this is true. But you didn't do it without making an offensive dig, and the dig was what I was responding to. So don't just say "quit bitching". If you are going to be offensive like that, then you get people talking back, don't complain.

And to answer your question about being arrogant. YES. narrow-viewed? Not in the least. I'm not the one trying to start a crusade against "hacky" clients here, YOU are.

I explained what that narrow view was about. Your view doesn't include taking into consideration what certain client features *do* to the game (it does a little bit because you chose to not release the sound changing binaries). This is not some classroom experiment where you see what looks cool or not, and it has no effect on the outside world. I'm not starting a crusade, I have felt this way for a long time, about things like Ikalizer.

Like it or not, there are engine features you can code that totally mod this game, and that would force all users to downgrade their game to that version to get the same level playing field. Ideally the leagues need a way to limit what clients people can use. Then people can experiment and explore all day long and make whatever kinds of clients they want and the leagues can still maintain some integrity for the game. Since we don't have such a system, we're at the mercy of what people do. Sound cheating is particularly troubling because unlike some wallhacks or aimbots, which are hard enough to detect, you would have virtually no way of detecting them.

That's fine if you don't agree, but a wide array of players who often can't agree on anything all agree that this would be sound cheating.

#23 User is offline   Knightork Icon

• Account: knightork
  • Main tag: UTP|

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

View Poststrata, on 07 August 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

See my earlier post about this. You might have to manually edit your authkey file to get it to work. I'm still trying to solve this problem.

Here's a screenshot to show that it is somewhat working. As far as servers are concerned, I thought nobody was using Auth yet? Wasn't it causing server crashes?

http://i.imgur.com/77C0X.jpg

Yeah the Client and the Console say that we are logged in, but every time you join a server with auth_enable 1 you'll be kicked with the hint, that you don't have an account. So there has to be a second part where the auth is sending to server when you enter it. Not only on log in.

For the moment i can't use this build cause there are a few servers with auth_enable 1

#24 User is offline   Nikki Icon

• Account: nikki
  • Main tag: diRf!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

Big demo notification is big.

Posted Image

Same in 4.2 (ew)
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Nikki: 08 August 2012 - 06:15 AM

#25 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

View Poststrata, on 07 August 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

See my earlier post about this.

I got no problem logging in through the UI, but it's when I join a server, that the Auth doesn't work.

This post has been edited by Ikslorin: 08 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   kelt Icon

• Account: kelt

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Please add raw mouse support :SS I know I'm not the only playing 4.1.1 because of the lack of it in 4.2

#27 User is offline   attackxie Icon

• Account: attackxie

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

View Postkelt, on 08 August 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

Please add raw mouse support :SS I know I'm not the only playing 4.1.1 because of the lack of it in 4.2

Ill quote strata
[3:14:15 pm] <+rjc862003> Bug Report: http://cl.ly/Ichs http://cl.ly/IcIs http://cl.ly/IcZs
[3:14:40 pm] <+rjc862003> Sacc is apperntly not working the cvars exist but its non fuctional
[3:15:01 pm] <+rjc862003> just took those screen shots within 5min of eachoter
[3:15:02 pm] <strata> yepyep! fully aware of this rjc
[3:15:03 pm] <+rjc862003> same server
[3:15:24 pm] <+rjc862003> first one is 125/125000
[3:15:30 pm] <strata> waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
[3:15:30 pm] <+rjc862003> second one is 42/2500
[3:15:35 pm] <strata> sacc isnt working waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
[3:15:41 pm] <strata> the frankenbuild works though waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
[3:15:42 pm] <+rjc862003> strata I don't give a *@!#
[3:15:42 pm] <strata> lololololololol
[3:15:52 pm] <+rjc862003> but if you are gonna tell people that the client does X
[3:15:54 pm] <+rjc862003> and it doesn't
[3:15:57 pm] <+rjc862003> then you best either remove it
[3:16:02 pm] <+rjc862003> or fix it
[3:16:03 pm] <+rjc862003> pick one
[3:16:09 pm] <strata> how about neither :)
[3:16:15 pm] <strata> i have more important shit going on atm
[3:16:20 pm] <strata> like
[3:16:23 pm] ButterdBread hands rjc862003 a ButterdBread
[3:16:23 pm] <+rjc862003> well then there goes your creditably
[3:16:24 pm] <strata> coding more important shit
[3:16:33 pm] <strata> lining up some vagina for later
[3:16:39 pm] <strata> eating lunch
[3:16:47 pm] <strata> trolling people at work
pretty much his Opinion is Patch it you're self or GTFO fine whatever guss he doesn't get to be a inter-web celebrity

This post has been edited by attackxie: 08 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

#28 User is offline   Nikki Icon

• Account: nikki
  • Main tag: diRf!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

It might help if ANYONE took you seriously.

#29 User is offline   phd Icon

• Account: phd

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

What can we seta com_hunkmegs "1024" for this built ?

#30 User is offline   phd Icon

• Account: phd

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

View Poststrata, on 07 August 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

I gave a try to your clients and I have problems with the demos.

Demos are store in "appdata" (in wondows) which is fine, but when you want to view the demo, it is not in the list, you have to manually move it to the program folder, which sucks a lot.

Demos have this weird extension ".urt_demo" ? It is a much better extension than ".dm_68" but we cannot play the demo in other clients.

Same as Nicky said, when recording a demo, the TEXT IS MUCH TOO BIG...

I had { /seta com_hunkmegs "1024" } in my config but it doesn't anymore with the client.

Thanks'

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942