• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fps Drops Rate Topic: -----

Low cpu usage Windows, Linux the same

#1 User is offline   zup100 Icon

• Account: zup100

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

Hi!

I want to report low fps and drops on maps like, Turnpike, Casa, Uptown, where normally this problem do not occur on ioUrbanTerror (4.1.1.) client. The test was done even without players connected on map and on lowest resolution and lowest settings possible.

What I've found was simple. First I was angry about this mess, but for a while when I've found some hope I've notice simple thing, about this problem. This is what I've done:

1.I've installed newest drivers to find out if this problem occur only on oldest.

2.I've compared old client vs the new one, by putting old ioUrbanTerror client (4.1.1.) to fresh downloaded Urt4.2 and ran it (of course there was info about no possibility to auth). I simply wanted to know if this problem is not about new maps and maybe some bugs on them.

3.I've putted Htop on my left monitor to monitor cpu usage and on the right one I've ran Quake3-UrT client, then after that, ioUrbanTerror client and compared them.

IoUrbanTerror (4.1.1.) client worked very well and has no issues, but simply worked on all maps with steady 125-126 fps, and Htop showed 100 percent of cpu usage on both cores (I have C2D processor)

Quake3-UrT on the other hand, has almost, on every map fps drops and Htop showed ~50 percent cpu usage all the time.

So, this is a major bug worth repairing, cause I never saw if any Quake3 or Quake2 or similar clients to ID Software engine has less than 100 percent cpu usage.

I've also noticed, that this is not only my problem (I have C2D 2GHz, 2GB ram ddr3, Radeon HD 3470), I've heard reports from guys who has better processor than me and GPU like GF 450 GTS and they were asking me what to do with fps drops.

#3 User is offline   zup100 Icon

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

View Postv3nd3tta, on 09 August 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

first of all, i've got "lags" aswell (means no 125 stable), and i got an old AMD Athlon 64
For your Windows things: are/were you on 64-bit ?

Lets simplify all of this:

-I play with Urt4.1.1 on Debian Squeeze 32 bit, on ioUrbanTerror.i386 origynal client, so its not bumpy.
-I play with Urt4.2 on Quake3-UrT.i386 client, so its 32 bit, and its latest 4.2 beta client, so its not bumpy.
-I have Debian Squeeze 32 bit, and have fps drops on Quake3-Urt.i386 client (4.2 beta current version) but on ioUrbanTerror.i386 (4.1.1 version) I do not, even with the same maps from 4.2 beta version (when I put ioUrbanTerror.i386 file and run it form Urt4.2 catalog)
-I do not have fps drops with original 32 bit client on Urt4.1.1 version from Urt4.1.1 catalog either!

NOW:

-On the Quake3-UrT.i386 original 32 bit beta latest client, meaning 4.2 version (running from Urt4.2 catalog) I have fps drops on all maps and Htop showing ~50 percent on core 1 and ~50 percent on core 2.

-On the ioUrbanTerror.i386 original 32 bit verion (4.1.1 client) I do not have fps drops on the original maps in version 4.1.1 (running from Urt4.1.1 catalog) and Htop showing 100 percent cpu usage on core 1 and 100 percent usage on core 2, and when I put this same client (only client) to 4.2 catalog and I run it, I do not experiencing fps drops as well! Htop is showing 100 percent cpu usage on core 1 and core 2 as well.

Is this clear or I should post some pictures, and I maybe will...

Urt4.2 beta (current) with original Quake3-UrT.i386 client (32 bit)
Htop showing ~50 percent cpu usage on core 1 and ~50 percent cpu usage on core 2.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Even with simple maps like Turnpike:
Posted Image

Urt4.2 beta (current) with older ioUrbanTerror.i386 client (32 bit). Htop showing 100 percent cpu usage on core 1 and 100 percent cpu usage on core 2:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And on Turnpike:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by zup100: 09 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

#4 User is offline   zup100 Icon

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

So its clear for me that something is not quite good with this new 4.2 beta client cause there is almost 3 times or more fps drops with the same maps compared to older client from Urt4.1.1. I want if you of course want DEVELOPERS to test different builds for maybe different processors if there is any possibility.

My tests was not only on Linux, because this problem occurs in similar way on Windows as well, so its not my imagination.

#5 User is offline   Swaggzilla Icon

• Account: swaggzilla
  • Main tag: )O,O(

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

I run an AMD Phenom II X6 3.3GHz and even I've noticed some fps drops on maps that I never had problems with on 4.1.1. Not to the extent as the OP, however I feel as though my build should be good enough to have 125fps stable in almost any game, let alone UrT.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   H0i Icon

•   former FS member   
    Modeler
  • Account: h0i

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

I'm not sure if this is a 4.2 specific problem. There seems to be a lot of randomness in some builds causing fps drops on some systems/setups, and others not. For example on some laptop someone I know has, 4.1 would give 60-70 fps and the new 4.2 build is a lot more stable at 100+. Of course we would love to track down this problem, but it's just so mysterious. I used to have the fps drops in 4.1 for a while with a more than capable system, and somehow at some point it just stopped.

I realize this doesn't help you, but it's not a very clear bug. If you have any idea to what it might be related, that would help. Perhaps a coder on the team can figure it out, but this problem has been present for years.

#9 User is offline   zup100 Icon

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for your reply,

I'll try to test this issue on older machine with GF 6600GT and Celeron 3,66 GHz DDr1 and see what happens.

Clearly for me on Linux systems I have never experienced any Quake2 or Quake3 or hybrid mine original clients to have less than 100 percent cpu usage, never! That said, I think it is a good explanation to my fps on Linux being always more than fps on Windows (I've done many timedemo tests and not only), but I've never experienced fps drops either on Windows and Linux, so this is my first time, but not always the first times are the best...

#10 User is offline   zup100 Icon

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

There is beta success in developers work on Urt4.2 beta!!! Beta, cause maps like Turnpike has now steady 125 fps and on Riders there is also an improvement, steady 125 fps. Map Uptown suck like in the past, and it has fps drops like it did.

There are the screenshots:

Urt 4.2.012
Map Riders
Posted Image

Posted Image

Urt 4.2.012
Map Turnpike
Posted Image

This post has been edited by zup100: 27 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942