Urban Terror Forums: mac bug - could not create assets for the folder q3ut4 - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

mac bug - could not create assets for the folder q3ut4 Rate Topic: -----

can't even play the game.

#1 User is offline   galactica Icon

• Account: galactica

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:40 AM

I get the message wen I open the updater, it warns me right as I open it, then installs as if everything is fine and even says completed installation.

Idk if it creates a new Urt application or just updates the old version probably should have researched more on this lol, either way, none of those things happened, and I can't get in to the game as of yet.

#2 User is offline   banksy Icon

• Account: banksy
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

delete your q3ut4 folder in your apps folder, and redownload therough the updater

#3 User is offline   galactica Icon

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

View Postbanksy, on 13 August 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

delete your q3ut4 folder in your apps folder, and redownload therough the updater
Yeah i thought that would work too but nope lol.

#4 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

did you start the installation process by running the updater without copying it to your desktop or app folder first? the error message you described pops up when you try to run the updater with the updater app still being part of the dmg file that is mounted automatically after downloading...

This post has been edited by KarlMariaSeeberg: 13 August 2012 - 02:00 AM

if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#5 User is offline   galactica Icon

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

ok im trying that now seems to be working so far thanks

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Dougy Icon

• Account: dougy

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

I would have said:

Go to the terminal and type: sudo chmod +x [drop q3ut4 folder here] and hit enter, enter your password and hit enter and close terminal and you should be good to go.

-Dougy

#7 User is offline   POKER Icon

• Account: poker
  • Main tag: +GER+

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

I have the same issue, not working here...
Im running Mac OS X Mavericks.

I tried your way Dougy, AND I also have the Updater right next to my q3ut4 Folder in Applications/Urt42.
Last Update went fine.
Tried the same way. Probably Mavericks is blocking something?
I checked Security and allowed installations from all developers.
Any ideas? Anyone running .016 on mavericks?

Weird...

This post has been edited by POKER: 10 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

#8 User is offline   Fenix Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: fenix

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

AAA: FOR ALL THE OSX USERS

Since this has been explained already in the past, I'll explain it one more time: Urban Terror 4.2 needs to be installed in a folder where your Mac user (which usually is identified by your name/nickname all lowercase) has writing privileges. This folder is the Home folder (path /home/<your-nickname-here>). If you put the UrbanTerror42 folder anywhere else it will fail. This is valid for all the versions of OSX: personally tested on Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

#9 User is offline   iynque Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: iynque
  • Main tag:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostFenix, on 10 December 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

AAA: FOR ALL THE OSX USERS

Since this has been explained already in the past, I'll explain it one more time: Urban Terror 4.2 needs to be installed in a folder where your Mac user (which usually is identified by your name/nickname all lowercase) has writing privileges. This folder is the Home folder (path /home/<your-nickname-here>). If you put the UrbanTerror42 folder anywhere else it will fail. This is valid for all the versions of OSX: personally tested on Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

Is this caveat buried in a read me somewhere? I don't recall ever seeing this explained anywhere, least of all during download/install where it would be expected.

Urban Terror Downloads said:

How to install
Download the compressed file of your choice below, and simply extract the UrbanTerror42 folder to where you want.

Apparently the special instructions are not only missing, they are superseded by instructions that make explicit there are no special instructions: Just put it "where you want." :/

It seems like since almost all Mac users will put almost all apps in the /Applications/ folder almost all the time, it should be made clear that you are breaking the standard. You seem a bit annoyed with the people who just don't get it, so why not nip the problem in the bud? Perhaps the updater should give instructions as to where it must be, instead of failing with a mysterious error that leads users to come here and post.

…and for anyone who might be confused, there is no /home/<your-nickname-here> on a standard install of OS X. It should be /Users/<short user name>/. Just in case anyone comes along and then can't find their /home/username/ folder, because you know someone is going to go looking for it. :cool:

ANYWAY…

I'm curious why the updater would work the first time, and then a second time, and only just now break with this update? I've only ever had it in my /Applications/ folder, and it worked twice. This time it didn't. This is the first update I've done and gotten this error about "could not create assets folder."
|FA|iynque 😈 Fallin-Angels

#10 User is offline   Reflux Icon

•   gameserver owner   
  • Account: reflux
  • Main tag: FSK405|

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

View Postiynque, on 10 December 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

Is this caveat buried in a read me somewhere? I don't recall ever seeing this explained anywhere, least of all during download/install where it would be expected.

Apparently the special instructions are not only missing, they are superseded by instructions that make explicit there are no special instructions: Just put it "where you want." :/

It seems like since almost all Mac users ...

Maybe you should get busy writing the documentation for this free game, since you seem to have the time to write so many complaints. See, the general consensus is that Mac users need others to tell them how to use their all to user-friendly Mac in the first place. Do you really need your hand held that much? If not, then hop out of the bitch and moan camp and into the contribute to the community camp.

It's no special gift to bitch. Anybody can do that.

-Me

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942