Urban Terror Forums: blender: how to export textures along with md3 - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

blender: how to export textures along with md3 Rate Topic: -----

another noob question :-)

#1 User is offline   quit Icon

• Account: quit

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi all,

so I've been trying my hand at making props with blender, and got a simple crate basically done, just for testing purposes. I exported the model to md3 following the instructions at katsbits, and radiant can load it just fine.

However I don't know how to associate a texture/shader with the model. I can hack around the problem by setting the _remap model property to the correct texture path, which makes the model display correctly *in radiant*, but apparently urt doesn't work with it: in-game, the model is displayed as if it had no shader associated.

My googling efforts so far have failed, so I'll try and just ask here. Hopefully it will be useful to others too.

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Use .ase format. You just can edit texture paths with notepad then

#3 User is offline   quit Icon

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostValkoVer, on 28 August 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

Use .ase format. You just can edit texture paths with notepad then

Radiant crashes when I try to import an ase. :-/ The ase file doesn't seem to be the problem here, I can view it just fine with an external viewer (g3dview).

#4 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

Uh... What console says when you try to import .ase? And few words about md3. I used to export models made in milkshape to this format, and i had to create .qc file in order to make textures work correctly (well i couldn't even export it without it). Example of .qc file:
// Quake III Arena MD3 control file, generated by MilkShape 3D
//
$model "models/mapobjects/directory/model_name.md3"
// reference frame
//$frames -1 -1
// frame 1-30
$frames 1 30
$flags 0
$numskins 0

// you can have one or no parent tag

// tags

// meshes (surfaces)
$mesh "meshname"
$skin "models/mapobjects/directory/model_texture.tga"
$flags 0

Anyway, .ase is better.

#5 User is offline   quit Icon

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostValkoVer, on 28 August 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

Uh... What console says when you try to import .ase?

Nothing, radiant just crashes on me with no error message. I've run it under a debugger and know where the crash happens; I haven't yet had time to debug it further though.

And few words about md3. I used to export models made in milkshape to this format, and i had to create .qc file in order to make textures work correctly (well i couldn't even export it without it). Example of .qc file:

Thanks. How am I supposed to use a .qc file? I guess Google will tell me in a few seconds anyway. :-P

According to this OpenArena forum post, another solution is to manually hexedit the md3 file so that it points to the correct shader path. However I can't find any mention of "tga" or "jpg" in the md3 file generated by the blender export script. Any hints as to where's the string to edit?

Anyway, .ase is better.

I'll try and switch to that ASAP.

Thanks again. :-)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   quit Icon

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

View Postquit, on 30 August 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

According to this OpenArena forum post, another solution is to manually hexedit the md3 file so that it points to the correct shader path. However I can't find any mention of "tga" or "jpg" in the md3 file generated by the blender export script. Any hints as to where's the string to edit?

Nevermind, I managed to make it work. When exporting from blender, the string to look for is the name you assigned to your material, which defaults to "Material". Your suggestion to look at what the console did the trick. ;-)

Now onto making the .ase work as well...

#7 User is offline   quit Icon

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

View Postquit, on 30 August 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

Now onto making the .ase work as well...

For future reference and for anybody experiencing the same issue: the problem was that my blender grid/scale wasn't set up properly. Using the setup described on katsbits (set the grid to 8 subdivisions with spacing = 8) it's now possible to export .ase models that don't make radiant explode. ;-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942