Vis Compiling Error Rate Topic: -----

Leaf has too many portals

#1 User is offline   xandaxs Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: xandaxs
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:49 AM

Hello folks!

Just a couple dahys ago I faced an unlucky situation. While compiling the jump map I am working on, the error "Leaf has too many portals" appeared. Intrigued with what this was I checked this handy topic (thanks to the maker of it btw ^^): http://www.urbanterr...error-messages/ ; and I saw what the error was.

After that I decided to re-read those hinting tutorials out there to make sure I had the lesson studied and I departed on a quest to properly hint the map. (After hinting the begining of it I realized the ammount of hard-work it'd actually give to hint the whole map when I didn't even know if I was hinting it properly).
Requested some assistance at the CMM's IRC and had HappyDay seeing the map file, turns out I missed a couple things.

Nevertheless, I kept trying but the error persisted. So, I resorted to a measure taken in every single icy map, make every single brush detail. I did that and then added a structural caulked box surrounding the map. It was my surprise to see the error continued even after that.

Once more I requested help at IRC but this time noone had an answer to this problem, noone knew what was in fact the solution to such problem.

Hopefully any of you will. Please, I'm getting desperate already :(

I've this error during the -meta compile stage:
Posted Image

Any answer to my problem? ^^
Cheers,
xandaxs

#2 User is offline   xandaxs Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

For some reason the error no longer shows, but I believe the compile process stops at a point.

Posted Image

It's been stuck at this exact point for hte past 2 hours, doesn't reach "4".
What can be done?

#3 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Give us full compile log? At least to the point it stopped compiling.

27 000 portals? :wacko:

#4 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Probably sloppy detailing/brushwork :rolleyes: Can i see map file? (+ textures so i can see anything).

#5 User is offline   xandaxs Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:41 AM

Sent a PM to both with the sources

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Pm with "fixed" map sent

First off, mapfile is a total mess, detailing and brushwork is so bad it probably would be faster to do this map again from scratch than fixing it all. There is some small or complex brushes (like stairs) which are structural, its main cause of long vis compile time. This map with detail filter on should look like set of connected caulk boxes. I've added a couple of hints, not sure if they all work correctly. Some brushes are mittered, but some don't. Some brushes (especially these touching the void) doesn't need to be mittered. Removing Big Caulk Box Around Mapâ„¢ still gives leak. I fixed only small part of these issues, vis datasize is ~2x smaller now (I actually could compile map without any changes, is it my 1337 4x 3,3 ghz CPU? ), but it still takes waaay too long. I will have nightmares tonight.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942