Urban Terror Forums: New league with cash prize/ prize pool? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New league with cash prize/ prize pool? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Zmb Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: zmb
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

Hi urbanterror community .. just creating this topic to know if .. players could be interested by a league with prizes ?

A big league for every players with prizes for 3 1st teams .. per division/group ?
A league for players playing division 1/2/3 on uz/cb, ..
Yep .. but only with an AC? etc .. would like to have some judgment about it, ...

Thanks in advance, cya!

and yup, i know my english isnt so good .. but understandable i think!

#2 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:05 AM

do you have enough teams active for that? over in north america, almost all the good players are gone or just don't care enough anymore to really try (at least myself). wuld have been cool to see this a few years ago.:/
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

#3 User is offline   BRAVO Icon

• Account: bravo

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

I would be interested. In fact, with about 6-7 good online free leagues i don't understand why UrT has not reached this step yet. I can give you some ideas:

*Giving prizes implies one and/or two things: 1-admission fee 2-Sponsors

1-There must be and admission fee, not enough high to prevent mid-tier to participate, but high enough to prevent people who don't know what a league is to make league referees and other players to lose their time.

2-Sponsors: Much sponsors, good sponsors, having a sponsor will allow you to give better prizes, while biger is the difference between entrance fee and prizes the more important the league will be, also... if you don't have sponsors it means the money for the prizes it means players will have to cover all expenses with their entrance fee, you would need a huge player base (difficult on a first league when people has to put money to play), or a high entrance fee, which is a bad idea on the first league you organize...., you really need sponsors.

*Anticheat: forbid linux and mac players to play in a league where there is no money involved because of an anticheat is pitiful, but when there is money involved that does not apply anymore..., if the league will be online you really need a working anticheat no matter if it leaves out of the league linux and mac players.

*Servers: UrT is a game which allows and has been heavily moded. with some mods server can be configured in a way players won't be abble to know it's moded and people who knows it wilol be abble to cheat via console command. any anticheat would detect it and be sure the fact people will be useing an anticheat will be tryed as an excuse to not have demo.
Ping difference: Most of leagues have as a rule country where they are based have server priority, high ping difference makes a huge advantage / disadvantage.
For those two reasons you would need to provide servers of your own for matches to be played and to guarantee a fair and good game to both teams in every match.

referee: you would need a referee to supervise every match.

lawyer: when you make a lan party with bets involved you can make it a "private party".., never a problem.
If it's an internet league, you need a lawyer. You can make entrance fee to be a "donation" :wink: and leagues for "donators only" you will avoid some of the possible problems like that. Even so consider playing for fun is very different than playing for money and if you will be accepting peoples mone to play, be prepared for big problems of all kind.

Brazilian guys organized 2 leagues (as far as i know) about two years ago, i played the 1v1 and they gave hardware prizes, they had good sponsor and it was a great and very funny league, good games, good matches, exquisitely organized..., maybe you can ask them for some advice?.
GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE

I KILL PEOPLE

#4 User is offline   Tizz Icon

• Account: tizz
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Zmb is still hopping he can earn his living with Urban Terror. Still hasn't discovered real life yet.

#5 User is offline   Fredrik Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: fredrik

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Suggested for uz that their betting system could involve real money, they still use fake tho.

If leagues with prizes happen i can contribute with atleast 50 dollars.

This post has been edited by Fredrik: 12 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Brainie Icon

• Account: brainie
  • Main tag: psyp.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

BRAVO -> You can't bring sponsors to something that didn't make its reputation yet. I would suggest that the cup starts by its own with people involved in it and lately (when everything would roll correctly) they would ask a sponsor to take a look at it.

You are right about the money. Someone would have to be decided as a vouch for managing the money. Maybe Frozen Sand (or the French UrT Association) could give its name as a treasurer.

Btw I think this kind of cup should be only reserved for people who are 18 and over aged and with a well known reputation/skill to prevent the gaming addiction (if your idea is to bet on your team for every match you do).
Psychologic People - Team Canada - Psychology in Urban Terror
ClanBase Writer and Referee - Ask me if issues

#7 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

@ Fredrik - real money would mean that it would be betting, and in most countries you'd need a license for that.

Urban Zone has just started with prizes for the winners of it's first divisions (bomb/ts/ctf), the prizes are in the form of a webserver. We've had comments that it's a small prize. But it's a first step, and still is 30 euro's worth of prizes per winner. We have the possibility to give out more prizes but choose not to because of the lack of anti-cheat.

I wish you much luck in your endeavour, there are a lot of competitions/leagues/cups. If you think you can realize something like this you might want to think of joining an already existing league. That way you would not be "reinventing" the wheel.

#8 User is offline   BRAVO Icon

• Account: bravo

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

View PostSeven of Nine, on 16 October 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

I wish you much luck in your endeavour, there are a lot of competitions/leagues/cups. If you think you can realize something like this you might want to think of joining an already existing league. That way you would not be "reinventing" the wheel.

Would not be "reinveinting" anything because there is not that kind of wheel in UrT actually.
it's true it would be easyer for a free league to become paid, but why does it not happen?: There are certainly more than a couple of players, teams and sub-communitys who can easily get a sponsor..., the big problem is not the structure of the league and certainly not a sponsor, the big problem is to find people willing to deal with people playing for money and all what it involves.

Urban Zone has just started with prizes for the winners of it's first divisions (bomb/ts/ctf), the prizes are in the form of a webserver. We've had comments that it's a small prize. But it's a first step, and still is 30 euro's worth of prizes per winner. We have the possibility to give out more prizes but choose not to because of the lack of anti-cheat.

It's nice..., a $30 webserver is a symbolic prize, $30 in a 10 players clan would be $3 each one (...), if you think player who are playing on your first divs are doing it for the prize..., and the worst thing is that you are probably putting that money of your own pocket or not keeping it for basic things a league need.

I would like to suggest you something and you to chat it with other UZ admins to see if you like it:

*Side league for donators only (donators league should not forbid any player to play free league div).

*$5 per player + $20 per team, only 8 teams allowed for a first league.

*Every playing player must upload demo (no exceptions) a cheater or a player not uploading his demo implies team disqualification (no exceptions).

*75% prizes; 25% paid to admin and referees for their job (a referee would be needed to supervise every match).

*If more than 8 teams for a first test give priority to those on first divs to play.

*You do not advertise the prize amount until half league..., the players are donators and you give money prize just because of your free will as a free league admin.

well..., pretty basic..., i just throw it on the fly.. of course tules should be much more extensive and punctual but i hope with what i wrote you can make an idea for yourself.

regards
GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE

I KILL PEOPLE

#9 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Yes, these idea's I have already thought of, a lot of other games have been inspiration in that way. In fact, we've tried something similar with the very first skeet shoot tournament, people could signup and compete for money, or they could do it for free. Only two people were interested in the playing for money aspect. So it didn't work out.

There is just one thing that's really holding me back, there is no anti-cheat, no definite way of saying someone did or didn't cheat except for the really obvious.

The prizes we have now are not from our own pocket thankfully, we have sponsors, two game server companies that get publicity on the website/live stream in return.

#10 User is offline   evilelf Icon

•   former FS member   
    Hosting Consultant
  • Account: evilelf

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

We're considering offering prizes at FTWGL in the near future. We'll keep you guys/gals posted :happy:/>

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942