• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urt Jumpers wanted Rate Topic: -----

#12 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

ut_village is the catapult map. ut_village2 is a mostly flat map with the cars and long, single-story house. It bears a resemblance to ut_village and uses the classic Tub architecture, so I assume Tub made it.

ut4_village is ut_village2 with different textures. Not sure if Tub released it, but it's the version everyone uses. I personally think the original textures were better, and the map as a whole would be a lot better if the vehicles has better clipping, and some of the doors+ceilings were raised to accommodate the bigger 4.0 models. Or maybe they just jump higher now:P

ut4_filtration is the version used right now in leagues, but the waterfall in the lowest level causes EXTREME FPS lag (2-3 fps on older PCs). The old version (ut_filtration) from 3.x days is fine. The map is identical except for the lag-inducing waterfall, but leagues don't want to use "unofficial" versions. Would be nice to also have the ambient noises severely curtailed and the teleporters removed, but these are minor compared to the laggy waterfall.

As for textures, can't new ones be substituted in with the same file name for Q3 assets?
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

#13 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

That waterfall is silly.

Solid FPS so long as I don't look in the direction the enemy is coming.

#15 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 04 November 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

"As for textures, can't new ones be substituted in with the same file name for Q3 assets? "

I did this for the old maps in 4.1.1 but sometimes I miss the Q3 files because mappers are sneaky and put them into different folders even after being told we can not use them. I can recognize them when I see them but if the time stamp has changed and they are in a mymap folder it's a lot harder to spot them. It's also a lot of work remaking these textures and I'd rather be working on HD.

I remember Village2 now. That is the one made by Tub. It has bomb mode on it. I don't remember the one with different textures.

I guess Dragonne over did it with the particle studio for the waterfall in filtration. You could email him and ask him to update the map. I have fond memories of CTF on this map.

yeah I'll def. email dragonne. Filtration is one of the few symmetrical CTF maps available, and is a nice change from Riyadh and Subway. Riyadh is usually the CTF final map, but it really favors a certain style of gameplay, rather than the more close-quarters Filtration. It's nice to mix it up.:P

Is there a way to get a complete list of assets a map uses? I've tried porting old maps over without using the Q3 assets or 3.x assets, and while some missing textures get listed in the console in yellow text, many do not. The only way I figured out to determine which textures I needed (obviously only for my personal use) was to systematically add texture folders from baseq3 and q3ut3 until the texture(s) reappeared. Very tedious and time consuming. However, if a list could be easily generated, replacement textures could be obtained (no need to remake, except in cases of no close match) from various sites that offer free to use textures for maps.

And don't worry, leagues refuse to use unofficial ports of old maps, which is why someone hasn't just rar'd up baseq3 and all the old UrT versions and gone nuts releasing old maps. However, I think that with permission from the authors and all Q3 assets replaced, leagues would use repackaged maps. I have no idea if the old maps would even suit the faster gameplay in 4.x, but it's not like there is a huge crop of playable 3rd party maps. Most are designed without gameplay a the priority.:(
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942