Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1

4.2 ded-server Hunkmegs @ zonemegs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   gutsanglory Icon

• Account: gutsanglory

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hi all,

I have heard many varied statements regarding the settings for hunkmegs and zonemegs when running a dedicated linux server. I was wondering if anyone could offer some numbers that seem to work best for the new 4.2 release. I would be interested to know what FS is using on there testing servers when testing the new releases.

my current settings:
com_zonemegs 48 (default 32)
com_hunkmegs 512 (default 512)

I think that hunkmegs is used to provide video memory storage space, but when running a dedicated server, is this really required? The old quake days we would run hunkmegs down into the 32 range without issues, is there really a requirement to have 512m of ram locked up for something that the server will most likely not use?
zonemegs was giving me an error on 4.1 when running default 32, so I upped it to 48 and have not seen any errors regarding zonemegs since.

Anyway, just looking for other admins input, and maybe find a sweet spot regarding these two settings for dedicated servers.

Thanks,
GUTS

#2 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

I run zonemegs @ 32 and hunkmegs @ 128 and never had an issue, (running 64bit debian based linux).
anything higher is just a waste, clients run higher defaults because the have a game user interface and 3D graphics/textures ect to load - dedicated servers do not.

I have ran UrT servers for years on 128mb hunkmeg and never run into any problems, the highest I have ever seen used by the server was roughly 100mb and that was on a large custom map with 32 players.

Hunkmegs is for reserving memory (RAM) space for the game to utilise.
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#3 User is offline   gutsanglory Icon

• Account: gutsanglory

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thanks Nitro, I have put my settings back to 32/128 and well run that for a while and see what happens.

GUTS

This post has been edited by gutsanglory: 07 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

#4 User is offline   Wolfseye Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: wolfseye
  • Main tag: FCDE-

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Thats good to know, thanks @Nitro. I think I had mine also on standard 512. ;) Will turn that down now.

Cheers

Wolf

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942