Urban Terror Forums: different resolution than Desktop resolution - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

different resolution than Desktop resolution Rate Topic: -----

possible in Fullscreen?

#1 User is offline   cap0351 Icon

• Account: cap0351

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hi there!

What i want to do: play UrT in a lower resolution than my desktop resolution, but without black bars on every side in fullscreen mode.

desktop has 1280 x 800
desired game res: 800 x 500

i just changed to ubuntu 12.10 from 10.04, and on lucid it kinda changed the desktop resolution automatically, so that no black bars were shown. unfortunately, i have no idea what my old settings were like. :-(

Hope you understand what i am desperately trying to tell you... ;-)

Thanks!

Pedro@Ubuntu

#2 User is offline   n1n Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: n1n

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

why do you even try using a lower res than your desktop (by guessing it's monitors native)?
it will look awful :(

and this is a OS gfx driver issue, you should have put it to linux support http://www.urbanterr...-linux-support/
<sXe>

#3 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

If you're using an nVidia card, you can choose "aspect ratio" scaling under "adjust desktop size and position" in the nVidia control panel. This will give you black bars on the top/bottom or left/right if your game's fullscreen aspect ratio is different from your monitor's native aspect ratio, but since 1280x800 and 800x500 are both 1.6:1, you'll get a properly scaled image. You could also choose fullscreen scaling, but this will result in distortion if you ever use a fullscreen resolution with a different aspect ratio than your monitor's native resolution aspect ratio. Black bars on 2 sides are generally seen as preferable to distortion, which is why I recommend "aspect ratio" scaling. Black bars on all 4 sides means no scaling is occurring (1:1 rendering of the image), which is, I believe, the default option for nVidia drivers.

ATI/AMD cards should have a similar choice, but I don't own one so...
Not sure about Intel, but given their reputation for appalling drivers, I wouldn't expect any sort of useful settings.;)

edit: you may also have the choice to allow your display/monitor to handle scaling. I recommend letting your GPU handle scaling, since it significantly speeds up switches between resolutions (such as alt tabbing a fullscreen, non-native resolution game). If you have a laptop, which I am 99.9% certain you do given that resolution, the display and GPU are usually pretty well integrated, so this option may not be presented to you.
Just trying to be thorough here:o
hope it's not confusing;)

This post has been edited by don: 04 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942