• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

How to keep sprinting ? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   OlGood Icon

• Account: olgood

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Hello everyone,

So I tried everything I could think of, and here is the only place I hope to find an answer.
I know pretty much everything you have to know about the bindings and commands, but this I couldn't figure out.

I would like to sprint constantly.
The ideal result would be:
-sprinting all the time (+button8),
-a key to run (-button8)(non-sprint running; sprint again when the key is released)

I tried:
-setting /+button8: works, but after some keys are pressed, it stops working
-scripting a 'toggle' key that alternates sprint/run, thinking it might make a difference, it doesn't. After a bit of playing, it stops working

What I'm thinking is: There is a "cl_run" cvar, that allows the player to walk or run, and this definitely works on every condition. So how does this command works, and is it possible to use the same technic for the sprint ?

Anyway I really hope you guys are going to be able to help me. I would really be grateful...

#2 User is offline   rYuuJiN Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: ryuujin

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

why so difficult :huh:

This post has been edited by rYuuJiN: 08 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

a thing of beauty is a joy

#3 User is offline   OlGood Icon

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

lol rYu don't sound like you have an idea if you haven't, I'm frustrated here that nothing followed that lone sentence of yours

#4 User is offline   YAY5637 Icon

• Account: yay5637
  • Main tag: <PWC>

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I know there is such binds, did you try to bind it to your forward button?
bind w +forward +button8
bind x -button8
just a guess

#5 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Found this script of unknown origin I had tried sometime in the past:

set sl_00 "set sl_f vstr sl_01; +button8; ut_echo ^2SPRINT"
set sl_01 "set sl_f vstr sl_00; -button8; ut_echo ^1RUN"
set sl_f "vstr sl_00"
bind e "vstr sl_f"

Every time you start the game, you have to turn sprint on — I don’t think it’s possible to set button8 to “always +” in a config file.
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   rYuuJiN Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: ryuujin

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostOlGood, on 08 January 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

lol rYu don't sound like you have an idea if you haven't, I'm frustrated here that nothing followed that lone sentence of yours

haha sorry, I came up with an idea but than figured out it wasn't the one he was lookin for, so editted it fast :P
a thing of beauty is a joy

#7 User is offline   OlGood Icon

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

View PostYAY5637, on 08 January 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

I know there is such binds, did you try to bind it to your forward button?
bind w +forward +button8
bind x -button8
just a guess

I thought of this, but the problem is that if you move (move+sprint on the same key) then you press x (-button8), as soon as you are going to press another movement key, you are going to sprint again, even though you are still pressing x (-button8)

View PostJRandomNoob, on 08 January 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

Found this script of unknown origin I had tried sometime in the past:

set sl_00 "set sl_f vstr sl_01; +button8; ut_echo ^2SPRINT"
set sl_01 "set sl_f vstr sl_00; -button8; ut_echo ^1RUN"
set sl_f "vstr sl_00"
bind e "vstr sl_f"

Every time you start the game, you have to turn sprint on — I don’t think it’s possible to set button8 to “always +” in a config file.

lol this is EXACTLY my script, with the exact same ut_echo (sames colors, all caps)
However, this option was in my "I tried" list of the original topic. The problem is still the same. I activate the sprint, it works, I play a bit, and after some movements, walking, jumping, it stops working. The problem is UrT is a dynamic game... we press MANY buttons MULTIPLE times in a second, and it seems like the game can't remember it was sprinting after all that mess.

I could try to create a config file that executes itself every frame, but I don't like the idea of asking my computer to work (out game) this many times in a sec... this is a crappy way of doing things I think...
My best hope is still that this topic will attract the attention of a dev. able to explain me how cl_run works, and maybe with fresh ideas.

Thanks for the help,
Peace

#8 User is offline   n1n Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: n1n

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

i'm using the same script mentioned above, i just set the second sl_01 again as +button8 and i just got used to tap this key once i want to start a jump or rush, juts in case urt forgot i's still on +button 8, never felt i had tu use usual running.

but i think it was made this way on purpose, cl_run makes you always run or walk, and this is okay, even q3 was made this way, but sprinting was added for really short casual runaways, because it really quickly drained your stamina, so there was no use for "always sprint". with time the stamina penalty got really low, so player are able to use sprinting a lot more than before.
now you understand why there was never a cl_alwayssprint and i don't believe it will be included [but who knows!?], it's meant to be this way and scripts are just a legal walk arounds for those who have little more experience. it seems casual players do not need it and although i'm not fully against it, but i don't feel like the game has to be developed and designed only for pros.
obviously casuals will not state their opinion here, i'm just saying from experience- asked on my jump server "guys why don't you just set always run scripts" and they were like "naah i don't need it, it's okay, i got used to how it is".
just saying :)
<sXe>

#9 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostOlGood, on 08 January 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

lol this is EXACTLY my script, with the exact same ut_echo (sames colors, all caps)
However, this option was in my "I tried" list of the original topic. The problem is still the same. I activate the sprint, it works, I play a bit, and after some movements, walking, jumping, it stops working.

Aha… this might have been the reason why I never used this script:-P

Digging some more in my “discarded crap” file, I found I also had tried what YAY5637 suggested earlier — instead of toggling the behavior of W, I had used E for normal running:

bind w "+button8; +forward"
bind e "+forward"

Seems to work…
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#10 User is offline   OlGood Icon

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

All your inputs gave me a new idea, so thanks for that, it's going to change my gaming experience.

Here is the stuff:

In my autoexec.cfg:
set sor "vstr sprint"
set sprint "set sor vstr run; exec sprint.cfg; ut_echo ^2SPRINT"
set run "set sor vstr sprint; exec run.cfg; ut_echo ^1RUN"
bind DEL "vstr sor"

In my q3ut4 folder:
sprint.cfg:
bind UPARROW "+forward; +button8"
bind DOWNARROW "+back; +button8"
bind LEFTARROW "+moveleft; +button8"
bind RIGHTARROW "+moveright; +button8"

run.cfg:
bind UPARROW "+forward; -button8"
bind DOWNARROW "+back; -button8"
bind LEFTARROW "+moveleft; -button8"
bind RIGHTARROW "+moveright; -button8"

If anyone knows how to do it all in one script, that would also help me... thank you again, and I hope this will interest some of you.
Peace

EDIT: Works perfectly as expected

This post has been edited by OlGood: 09 January 2013 - 03:39 AM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942