Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Problem with bindings... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   zerbugug Icon

• Account: zerbugug

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hello !
I'm having trouble properly binding my controls. I wanted to achieve the following :
1 -> sidearm; 2 -> secondary; 3 -> primary; 4 -> grenade (so that it's just like commercial shooters).
This doesn't work as you would expect because I'm using Linux and (I guess) on Linux keyboard configuration is handled at a lower level than on windows, and even real-time video games have access to the characters you press and not the key positions like on windows.
On my laptop's azerty (french) keyboard, digits are at the same positions than on a qwerty but they're the secondary characters (accessed with the shift key), the primary are (from 1 to 0) : & é " ' ( - è _ ç à
So I tried this :
bind & "ut_weaptoggle sidearm"
bind é "ut_weaptoggle secondary"
bind " "ut_weaptoggle primary"
bind ' "ut_weaptoggle grenade"
but only the 1st and 4th ones work. The other two seem to get me something like "bind SPACE "ut_weaptoggle primary secondary"", which is not at all what I want. (By the way, you can't use the radio menu on linux with an azerty keyboard; not sure if anyone uses this anyway though.)
So my questions are : is it actually possible to bind the é key ? the " key ? If not, any suggestion ? (if someone knows how to change keyboard mappings on Linux for just one program that'd be useful)
Also, please do not suggest me some other key mapping that does not use the problematic keys. I don't ask for advice on key mappings, I ask for advice on scripting.
EDIT : removed the code tag, on my browser it didn't show up properly.

This post has been edited by zerbugug: 24 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

#2 User is offline   phd Icon

• Account: phd

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

I guess you are using an editor for your bind.
Try the bindings in UrT Console.
You will see what are the real character that appears when you hit the "é" key.

hope it helps

#3 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: obscure

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Better would be to use the UrT controls menu then you can see the exact key mapping.

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

#4 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postzerbugug, on 24 February 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

bind & "ut_weaptoggle sidearm"
bind é "ut_weaptoggle secondary"
bind " "ut_weaptoggle primary"
bind ' "ut_weaptoggle grenade"
but only the 1st and 4th ones work.

ioUrT/ioQuake3 only supports ANSI, so é would be illegal character (or something like this), and of course " is a special character that you can’t bind, ever. (You can’t escape these either.)

The raw codes for these keys are 0x31 (1), 0x32 (2), 0x33 (3) and 0x34 (4). This pattern continues until 0x39 (9); 0 would be 0x30.

EDIT: Teehee, I just realized these are ASCII codes, not Quake-specific keyboard coordinates. Dunno, hopefully using these would work anyway… (I’m using a custom layout myself, on Windows though.)

EDIT 2: If these don’t work, try 0xe9 for é and 0x22 for ". (Man I’m braindead today.)

This post has been edited by JRandomNoob: 24 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#5 User is offline   zerbugug Icon

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostJRandomNoob, on 24 February 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

ioUrT/ioQuake3 only supports ANSI, so é would be illegal character (or something like this), and of course " is a special character that you can’t bind, ever. (You can’t escape these either.)

The raw codes for these keys are 0x31 (1), 0x32 (2), 0x33 (3) and 0x34 (4). This pattern continues until 0x39 (9); 0 would be 0x30.

EDIT: Teehee, I just realized these are ASCII codes, not Quake-specific keyboard coordinates. Dunno, hopefully using these would work anyway… (I’m using a custom layout myself, on Windows though.)

EDIT 2: If these don’t work, try 0xe9 for é and 0x22 for ". (Man I’m braindead today.)

Thank you, 0x22 works fine.
é still doesn't work. Also, when I press the key in the console nothing appears. I think this is hopeless.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Did you try binding a random action to é in the Controls menu to see what — if anything — gets saved in the console?

Anyway, when Googling for possible solutions I found this thread — the OP has Mac, but apparently ioUrT assigns WORLD_# codes regardless of the OS. (When trying to figure out the codes I suggested earlier, I made a config file full of stuff like bind 0x00 "ut_echo 0x00", and after executing this, typing /bind world_0 in the console results in "world_0" = "ut_echo 0xe9" being printed.)
dswp.de

#7 User is offline   zerbugug Icon

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostJRandomNoob, on 24 February 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Did you try binding a random action to é in the Controls menu to see what — if anything — gets saved in the console?

Thank you, I've been stupid, I should have thought of that. Actually, you can see how the game interprets any key by setting it as some control, the result is directly printed out and you don't even need to open the console.

{EDIT: I think that's what obscure meant. I hadn't understood... :) }

It turns out é is WORLD_73. Typing 'bind WORLD_73 "ut_weaptoggle secondary"' gives the desired result.
Again, thanks a lot.

I can't help wondering who designed the first french typing machine and thought making digits secondary characters was a good idea. And, while we're at it, that having left and right brackets at opposite sides of the keyboard, accented capitals (and the Ç and œ) nowhere at all, and the period as a secondary character on the semicolon key was practical.

This post has been edited by zerbugug: 25 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

#8 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

View Postzerbugug, on 25 February 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

View PostJRandomNoob, on 24 February 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Actually, you can see how the game interprets any key by setting it as some control, the result is directly printed out and you don't even need to open the console.

*config, not console:-P I assumed the value of the key might not even be shown.

View Postzerbugug, on 25 February 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

I can't help wondering who designed the first french typing machine and thought making digits secondary characters was a good idea. And, while we're at it, that having left and right brackets at opposite sides of the keyboard, accented capitals (and the Ç and œ) nowhere at all, and the period as a secondary character on the semicolon key was practical.

You know, I’ve been using a similar custom layout since 2009 or so, with slashes and various brackets in first positions, placed symmetrically on each side of the keyboard (I was typing a lot of HTML and BBcode back then). Although as a Windows user, the only problem I’ve had so far was Mitsubishi’s build always opening the console when pressing 1 — I had tilde there:-P
dswp.de

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942