• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Git Repository Hacked Rate Topic: -----

#91 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: wilyduck

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

Seems to be evolution abound in the community.

Going to hit a few points towards previous responses first. Rayne - wow, I mostly agree with you. Leads me to FrankieV -

View PostFrankie V, on 20 August 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

We are simply not use to the shear amount of support we have been receiving

I suppose refer back to Rayne's statements. Purely negative posts really should just disappear with prejudice. Pending of course Oswaldian oversight doesn't dishevel the "2%". You guys have had, and have, so many individuals in the community who want to be on your side - and that has been difficult. It's become easier. In fact, the proof is in the thread.

I'm going to call out an asshat not for being an asshat but for completely missing the picture:

View PostTehReaper, on 19 August 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

It blows my mind when free isn't good enough for people. Then again with the number of people already getting handouts in real life I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at the feelings of entitlement many people have. Feel free to spend years working hard to develop the skill set necessary to even begin to be able to do stuff like this if you want to do things differently.

I'm a professional developer, and it's rare I give my time away for free--as I have very little of it to give even if I wanted to.

This offends me, greatly. To a degree that (refer back to said negative posts) I'm going to throw down the gauntlet. For a short paragraph.

WTF. You're damn straight free isn't good enough for some people. I'm solid proof of that. Sure I got a legit Q3 key. UrT is free but I wasn't content with FREE. So I SPENT YEARS WORKING HARD TO DEVELOP THE SKILL SET NECESSARY TO EVEN BEGIN TO BE ABLE TO DO STUFF LIKE THIS. *@!# you buddy. *@!# You.

K we're back. FS, like Frog said, we're hoping there's a silver lining to this dark cloud. Personally, I've re-evaluated several things in my world since the news broke. First, GitHub and private repos. Secondly, source code security from the inside out. While there's been no immediate changes, methodologies are evolving. I've devised a theoretical system to combat such code theft - see how that goes. Users of my system with logins are now explicitly instructed not to use passwords associated with logins on other sites. It's a wake-up call.

A long time ago I suggested in the QA forums that 4.2 should become an iterative point release to UrT, to maintain community support towards the game while HD is developed. I'm happy to see that direction was taken up. 4.2 has become a worthy successor to the game, and I'm enjoying it a lot. You guys haven't said much on the HD side, whether the HD code was stolen, or I missed that. Let's say HD hasn't been stolen. Let's say fragmentation of the game (4.2) at this point in its lifespan is not a problem. (long suggestion deleted) If you can get the auth/anticheat system locked down into a trusted server-to-master scheme, I'm sure you could attract some significant community development to advance and evolve 4.x.

Good luck and looking forward to additional releases as well as updates on development.

#93 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostBladeKiller, on 26 August 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

WilyDuck, I think you missed that it turned out that the git was not hacked after all and it was a member of the dev team who had joined the team for this very purpose. I guess we need a polygraph machine now before accepting new members.

So until now noone tested new members (yes , only for their skills probably you did , but now we are talking for other ) , what about and test period ?!
It is so naive of you , maincore FS .

Also to let someone called binarythief join the team without any trace of suspicion , WTF ?!

I guess you think and that humans are what you would characterise as '' good '' ...

(FACEPALM)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement
  • (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942