• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

End of the 4.1 era Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   salees Icon

• Account: salees

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

End of the 4.1 era and the beginning of the empty server era.

I finally broke down and tried 4.2 again after the 4.1 master server list died.

I'm a bit sad that the active players are vanishing in the name of an update. Maybe they died laughing the first time they ran a crouch or medic animation. Maybe the way the new version runs in spurts like a car with water in its gas tank turned them off. Maybe they tried the first 4.2 version like I did, uninstalled it and haven't bothered with it since. I suspect most didn't make it past waiting forever for the update to download. Who thought it would be a good idea to use that slow updater instead of tradition webhost that can transfer the file in a couple minutes?

This 4.2 branch is a sideways move at best and now it becomes the only game in town. It will be interesting to see if this forced move can artificially make people want to play 4.2 or if it will just leave 4.2 as it is and remove the 4.1 people.

I think all these 'new' guys at SID or whatever they are called these days should maybe leave the past alone and make their own game.

#22 User is offline   tupp Icon

• Account: tupp

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:33 AM

So will there be some sort of message telling 4.1 players what has happened or will the server list just show up empty?

#23 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

View Posttupp, on 19 December 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

So will there be some sort of message telling 4.1 players what has happened or will the server list just show up empty?

well. actually they will see NO servers, if they dont have the q3a master set up. The game will just tell them: "No Server List From Master Server" Same thing like the masterserver change for 4.1. But a bit more permanent :)

But yeah. Some kind of MSG would be good. maybe an error message from the server.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#24 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:34 AM

I haven't checked with FS coders, but I think that isn't possible as we can't change the game (4.1) to show a message. Some people have had servers up with in the name saying that the master server will go down but unfortunately some in this community thought it would be a good idea to ddos said servers...

#25 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

The best way to get people playing this game would be to go directly in the community sites and inform them there... The one thing needed is to pass the word in all communities you know.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Noxtty8 Icon

• Account: noxtty8

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

I honestly don't see why we should bother trying to bring 4.1 players to 4.2, I am pretty sure most of them are aware of it by now.

Instead of bringing people that will keep trying to compare both of those versions, I believe that bringing NEW people that will give constructive feedback about the actual version.
Not saying old players cannot give constructive feedback, but it's always better to have some from people that don't even know about 4.1 ;)

---------------------------

But beside that, this move was a good move, had to be done :)

This post has been edited by Noxtty8: 19 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

#27 User is offline   manasses00 Icon

• Account: manasses00

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostBarbatos, on 16 December 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

[text]news 437[/text]

good bye

#28 User is offline   bermas66 Icon

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

sic transit gloria mundi!

or rather

The king is dead, long live the king!

I was looking forward the shutdown of 4.1 since many months...
Loser, I killed you!

#29 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

The best way to get people playing this game would be to go directly in the community sites and inform them there...

Agree. Still most of the players in any community probably are informed that there will be a shutdown.
Still such an msg would be good for those, who are not member of any community, just downloaded the wrong version. (if i google for "urban terror download" in Germany the first result still is is a chip.de download of 4.1.1)
Or more easy: It wont harm anyone adding such a msg (if its possible without a lot of work)
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#30 User is offline   Fredrik Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: fredrik

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

What i scratch my head over is why big servers like WC and boobs don't get b3 to regularly display a message advertising 4.2. I know boobs have done some but it was temporary.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942