• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Server Picker Rate Topic: -----

Just a server browser.

#1 User is offline   lgda Icon

• Account: lgda

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hello,

I'm not sure that's the right place to talk about this but that's probably where people that might be interested in such a tool will find it so I'm posting it here.

Maybe I missed something but I wasn't able to find any server browser for Mac and since I don't really like the integrated one I made a little application to fill this need.
To be honest I did it more because I wanted to familiarize myself with the Objective-C language and frameworks but the result feels "ok" to me so I'm making it available to anyone interested.
That's the first application I made for Mac so you can expect some bugs and problems (but I hope I got rid of most of them :ph34r:)

I made an ugly web page to briefly describe the application. You can download it here.
You'll need OS X 10.8 or later to run the application (I'm might be able to make it run on 10.7 if requested but I don't think I'll do it for earlier Mac OS X versions).

This is already written on the web page but just to be sure you don't get stuck on this:
OS X might refuse to open the application.
The solution is to right-click (or control-click) the application and chose "Open". Then just click the "Open" button.

This is due to the fact that I don't have a paid developer account so I can't properly sign this application.

Feel free to make feedback, positive or negative (but, please, constructive).

Regards,
lgda

#2 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

GG.

Could you make it multiplatform?

#3 User is offline   itx Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: itx

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostMajkiFajki, on 20 December 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

+1.

This app looks very nice, and the others server browsers for windows/linux are out of development...

#4 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

It looks very pretty with the logo in the background, and keyboard shortcuts are a great idea. The name could be improved though.

Have you included the source code as part of the download? If not, you should consider releasing it under an open license.

#5 User is offline   lgda Icon

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

Thank you for your interest in this application but you should wait for the first feedback before assuming it is any good :smile:

View PostMajkiFajki, on 20 December 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

That's not really something I was planning to do but ... it could be interesting for me to do it (don't misunderstand me here, I'm not doing this "only" for myself but it's easier to do something if you enjoy doing it one way or another).
If I'm doing something multi-platform it will probably be a java application so it will probably not be "as good" (assuming it is good) as this one.
I'm not saying I won't, I'm not saying I will but you've planted a seed, now we need to wait and see if it grows :laugh:

View Postthelionroars, on 20 December 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Have you included the source code as part of the download? If not, you should consider releasing it under an open license.

I have not included the source code and I haven't really thought about making it open source, I must weigh the pros and cons.
I'm open to discussion but I don't think I will do it for now.

View Postthelionroars, on 20 December 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

The name could be improved though.

Actually I kind of like it and U.S.P. sounds nice (to me) for a FPS related application.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   iynque Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: iynque
  • Main tag:

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Just needs remote console commands :D

Thanks for this!
|FA|iynque 😈 Fallin-Angels

#7 User is offline   Terrorist Icon

• Account: terrorist
  • Main tag: pwnz:

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:47 AM

Good job for a Desktop client.

If I was you, ill give a try to http://www.urbanterror.info/servers/ + http://www.urbanterr...UrTlauncher.dmg

this is a multiplatform server browser.. did you tried it?

keep the good work on!
regards

This post has been edited by Terrorist: 05 January 2014 - 02:48 AM

#9 User is offline   lgda Icon

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hello,

View Postiynque, on 04 January 2014 - 09:23 PM, said:

Just needs remote console commands :D

I just updated the application to include some kind of remote console interface.
As mentioned in the changes logs I wasn't able to fully test this feature (I don't have any server and I can't create a local one due to this problem).

Feel free to report any problem here or directly to me, thanks !

And no, I don't have much free time so I didn't make any progress on a Windows version :ph34r:

#10 User is offline   iynque Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: iynque
  • Main tag:

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

I use UrTConnector on Windows and this is just so much smaller and more responsive. It's wonderful 😃

It took me a long time to figure out how to add a favorite in the absence of an "Add to favorites" button or a "favorite" checkbox, but after a minute or two I figured out I could drag a server over to the favorites tab. I see it's well-documented on the webpage, but maybe a more visible favorites toggle is in order for a future update.

For the rcon interface, it doesn't accept the password right away:
  • Open the rcon window
  • Enter the password
  • Click refresh status

It will tell you "RCON password is invalid" and the password entry box will still be focused/active (it still has the blue glow around it). If you hit tab to move focus away from the password entry field, it then accepts the password and works. You can also move the focus by clicking on the command entry field and it will, again, accept the password and work.

I think the solution is simple: Clicking the "refresh status" button should FIRST accept text entered into the password field, and THEN try to refresh status. As it is now, it seems to ignore text entered into the password field and try to update status with no password.

I hope that makes sense!

I'll try out a few more commands with it later to make sure it actually does more than connect and report status :D
|FA|iynque 😈 Fallin-Angels

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942