Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'd to remove my account

privacy issues

#1 User is offline   linuxd3v Icon

• Account: linuxd3v

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

I've recently updated to 4.2 and found out that for some reason I need an account key.
So I've created an account on this site.

But then I got super annoyed by:

-inability to copy-paste key into the game (manual enter required)
-realization that my urbanterro.info username is publicly visible in game
-realization that there is no way to change my urbanterro.info username
-realization that there is no way for me to delete an account and start from scratch
-realization that all accounts are publicly visible online including other things, such as "the servers player" etc

I think I'm not the only one who regards this as a privacy issue.
Please -> add user-accessible option to remove an account.

Please - guys - just remove my account - please.

#3 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:38 AM

linuxd3v: You don’t have to auth, most servers allow you to play without. Which means that you’re as completely anonymous as one could reasonably expect.

Frankie: For starters, not everyone registers with a throwaway name they can’t remember a few weeks later. The simple fact that your account ID is the same as your forum name and shown to everyone in-game can be a pretty nasty problem indeed, and as linuxd3v noted, your location being globally visible whenever you connect to a server opens you up for harrassment. Good thing we have so few players, right?

Really, that neither you nor me have no issues with the current setup doesn’t mean we could even theoretically imagine all the possible failure modes.

Urban Terror is quite literally the only place where I have registered that does not allow you to delete your account. Some sites have safeguards in place — e-mail verification, or admins reviewing all deletions —, but here you have no power over your account at all, even asking admins to delete it is useless. And the TOS explicitly forbids duplicate accounts so you’re stuck with what you have (unless you decide to, you know, violate it and risk with getting banned).
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#4 User is offline   Runamok Icon

• Account: runamok
  • Main tag: -WAR-

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

there's a file within your q3ut4 folder (or whichever folder has all the maps/configs in it) called "authkey" you can copy paste the authkey in there, it's not as simple as it should be, I know, but that's the way that I got around having to manually type the key in game.. just paste it into the first line

your arguments are fairly solid though, everything links to the same account here on the forums, for sure, but I'm missing how it's a privacy issue past there (maybe it's just the way I'm thinking)

maybe the scorecard itself shouldn't have all of the auth names on it? just says that people are auth'd (but the server admins still have a way to see who is who) seeing as it's being recommended by FS that all servers should have auth enabled, should the whole community really be able to track what everyone else is doing?

This post has been edited by Runamok: 02 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

-WAR-Runamok`

cyrus: "Camping" is a non-issue for a player that uses his/her head.

#5 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

You can copy and paste the auth key in Linux if you have xclip installed

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Jacepriester Icon

•   community dev   

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Bottom line, usernames should never be considered private. It's a basic security principle. There is really nothing more to say about that.

As for your location being globally visible... how do you think you connect to servers? Hint: It's with an IP address that's traceable. The auth system doesn't change that in any way.

As for copy and paste not working, you're right, pretty annoying. The way to do it is to paste into your console instead and use:

/auth-set <paste your key here>

If I remember correctly, copy/paste into the console was fixed for linux as well somewhat recently, so this method should work for you.

#8 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

View PostBladeKiller, on 06 January 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

The menu system in Q3 is limited and you can not paste into it. You can paste into the console as someone else has stated or into the auth file. We can't do anything about the menu.

xclip (linux) works for the GUI as well. However, it's not standard on all distros - Ubuntu includes it in the Universe repository for example.

#9 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:10 AM

Yes, BladeKiller, pasting into UI was added in July. I quite distinctly remember you dressing me down for not bothering to test whether adding this has broken pasting into the console:-P

View PostJacepriester, on 02 January 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

As for your location being globally visible... how do you think you connect to servers? Hint: It's with an IP address that's traceable. The auth system doesn't change that in any way.

That the server can (and has to) see your IP is true. Also completely offtopic. Showing in your profile the server where you’re playing however is an auxiliary function of the auth system.
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942