• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Psychology behind the player. Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#1 User is offline   Brainie Icon

• Account: brainie
  • Main tag: psyp.

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:12 AM

Well, I'm looking if there is any ressources that exist and talk about player psychology, game psychology.

I'm sure that psychology could help to play in Urt, particulary in competitions. For example: trying to understand how the other plays, trying to feel how he's. Playing with his brain (like, making him trusting that you're at a place, etc), etc.
Tarquin used to do it. He knows every habits of players in every places in every maps. I usually follow this concept (knowing the habits in maps) and I tryied to do more of it. Like, I can make this affirmation: every players have a habit in the game. If you can understand what it is, you can get them easily. Maybe I teach you nothing. I also have other affirmations...

So if you have some research or links, I'm open to it.

Thank you in advance.

PS: I'm also looking for any ressources that talk about strategy and ways to play in Urban Terror. Dailynade.com isn't enough for me.

This post has been edited by Eads: 12 February 2011 - 02:18 AM

Psychologic People - Team Canada - Psychology in Urban Terror
ClanBase Writer and Referee - Ask me if issues

#2 User is offline   redsnappa Icon

• Account: redsnappa

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:47 AM

Well, I tend to camp out and snipe when I can, and even if you know where to find me, you'll usually die as soon as you come into view. Unless you can flank me or get a lucky shot you can't beat me when I find a good camp spot.

#3 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:00 AM

View Postredsnappa, on 12 February 2011 - 04:47 AM, said:

Well, I tend to camp out and snipe when I can, and even if you know where to find me, you'll usually die as soon as you come into view. Unless you can flank me or get a lucky shot you can't beat me when I find a good camp spot.

Good way to think. But, I think that when you camp, one of your primary goal should be to give the more less information as possible. If I know where you are, I'll tell my friends. Then, we have a lot of possibilities: flank or wait you to go out of the spot. If I know a lot of things about you in the game (where you are, what you're doing, etc), I can do a lot of things. It could work with everyone.
Sometimes, I don't want the ennemy to know me. I want them to think that it is 4 vs 5, and I don't exist. So I hide myself, camp, or don't shot when I see them.

#4 User is offline   BorderFox Icon

• Account: borderfox

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

Hi there,

The only research I can think for you is, that with any game or sport is that you need to know your opponents limitations and how they play (maps too). Most clan players have a good idea what their mates are doing, going to do and where they might be (especially if playing against each other - which is great fun because, you know that he knows that you know and you need to be extra careful). On our pub server, you get the same thing, "aha , PlayerX, he/she likes going to A, then B, so I'll go this way and try to come around the other way.

If you are trying to outsmart a player (which I think is what you are implying in your op), one I personally use, is first to establish if my opponent has good sound, is my opponent a sniper, quick jumper, good aim etc. All these put together help me build my strategy. Whether it's a full on surprise attack or to try and lure my opponent out (of a camping position, false sense of security) i.e. make my location known to them and see if they follow me, while I line up my scope at the corner I just came around.

You mention that you sometimes position yourself for a kill but don't take it, that can be good if you are planning to get him shortly after, or if there should be a second player coming after them. That obviously backfires if you don't take the shot and one of your team mates suffers as a result.

I think you will never ultimately have a system to win over every player, because there is usually always room for the unpredictable in any situation.

As most players here will tell you, a lot of play/tactic/control comes to down to a good 'ol gut feeling. You have a good idea who your opponents are and how they play etc etc and can instinctively move and play against them.

But it would be very interesting to see what other players say about this. And it would be beneficial for any new player as well to read this. It still amazes me that a lot of new players seriously underestimate the advantage of a good headset and don't seem to realise that they got killed by sound alone and not because 'he couldn't have possibily seen me there" scenario.

You use Tarquin as your example, for me personally to get to his level, would require a lot of free time practive and training, so I just need to win the lotto and quit my day job lol.

BorderFox

#5 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

View PostBorderFox, on 12 February 2011 - 09:51 AM, said:

Hi there,

The only research I can think for you is, that with any game or sport is that you need to know your opponents limitations and how they play (maps too). Most clan players have a good idea what their mates are doing, going to do and where they might be (especially if playing against each other - which is great fun because, you know that he knows that you know and you need to be extra careful). On our pub server, you get the same thing, "aha , PlayerX, he/she likes going to A, then B, so I'll go this way and try to come around the other way.

I liked the part "you need to know your opponents limitations". I didn't think about that, very intersting...
It could seem to be very hard to know the player but I think it's easy. It's too much rarely that you will see an unique way to play one time in your life. I think that there's always two or more players in Urt who play the same way. Habbits, habbits on the map... All the same.
Tarquin is a little bit of that, but not completly. He plays with himself. When I saw some demos of him, he's always doing the same thing and won't change it during the game (even if the tactics sucks, he will go ahead again and again). When I said that he plays with himself, it's true. He always cares about places that HE could be if he was red. Those places are unusual spots and very useful. But because they are unusual, people won't think about them. He imagines himself in the red team with his own habbits, and play vs the "double". When he gets someone, usually it's because the guy had an usual habbit on the map. I think that he's called "best player" because of his reflexes.

If you are trying to outsmart a player (which I think is what you are implying in your op), one I personally use, is first to establish if my opponent has good sound, is my opponent a sniper, quick jumper, good aim etc. All these put together help me build my strategy. Whether it's a full on surprise attack or to try and lure my opponent out (of a camping position, false sense of security) i.e. make my location known to them and see if they follow me, while I line up my scope at the corner I just came around.

Good to-do list. Can I ask you how you can take the time for doing that? Because, you can let pass a 5 - 0 just for taking time to know the opponents.

You mention that you sometimes position yourself for a kill but don't take it, that can be good if you are planning to get him shortly after, or if there should be a second player coming after them. That obviously backfires if you don't take the shot and one of your team mates suffers as a result.

Or if I want to go to the place where they're going, I won't be surprised if they go on me. My stress and pressure (can I say the word "pression"?) won't be high. The bad idea is to follow them loneley. Cause if they reply, you're gone.
"That obviously backfires if you don't take the shot and one of your team mates suffers as a result."
Yeah. So sometimes I'll kill and then try to make myself forgotten by the ennemy. Tarquin used a term "kill and run". It's this but I don't run after.

I think you will never ultimately have a system to win over every player, because there is usually always room for the unpredictable in any situation.

Of course. But players seem and play like other players. I won't be surprised if someone told me that you can find a double of every players in Urt. I hope that we won't get a system for that. Else, fun is over and we'll have to pass to another game. Fuuu!

As most players here will tell you, a lot of play/tactic/control comes to down to a good 'ol gut feeling. You have a good idea who your opponents are and how they play etc etc and can instinctively move and play against them.

+1.

But it would be very interesting to see what other players say about this. And it would be beneficial for any new player as well to read this. It still amazes me that a lot of new players seriously underestimate the advantage of a good headset and don't seem to realise that they got killed by sound alone and not because 'he couldn't have possibily seen me there" scenario.

I don't think that it could be beneficial for new players. You have to know Urban Terror if you want to learn it. It's very difficult to start because you can lose your motivation very fast. When you're new, you always lose.
So I think that these kind of analyse should be useful for good players. More useful for who wants to play with his head.
It still amazes me that the majority of Urt's players don't play with their head!

You use Tarquin as your example, for me personally to get to his level, would require a lot of free time practive and training, so I just need to win the lotto and quit my day job lol.

Well, I use him as an example because I have enough knowledge about him. Maybe we could use someone else, but he's the only one I know.
If you want to get to his level, I think you have to solutions: Have been born with his reflexes, or playing with your head at 100% during the game and playing good with it.
It's not impossible to get him down you know.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   ODDity Icon

• Account: oddity

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

Yeah, well, when you miss the first shot at me from your "puss out post" I'll fly over the map so fast you don't know what happened and knife you in the throat before you even chamber that second SR8 round. I'm faster than you, have a better aim and my reactions are second to none. I know where you are. I can hear you breathing as you clamber in to your little "hidyhole" and I know where you'll be next.

That's my psychology.

#7 User is offline   I -Q- I Icon

• Account: iqi

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:56 PM

analyse me :rolleyes: .. if you wish :biggrin:

p.s. I love when noods own pr0's .. its just something that has no sense/logic but in the same time it's so funny .. "fun over realism" is just perfect! :cool:
best things in life are free ;)

#8 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:18 PM

View PostODDity, on 12 February 2011 - 04:57 PM, said:

Yeah, well, when you miss the first shot at me from your "puss out post" I'll fly over the map so fast you don't know what happened and knife you in the throat before you even chamber that second SR8 round. I'm faster than you, have a better aim and my reactions are second to none. I know where you are. I can hear you breathing as you clamber in to your little "hidyhole" and I know where you'll be next.

That's my psychology.

Ah ha ha. You know, it's not a contest about who has the best way to think in the game eh. And also, you have "writing" and "playing". Nothing confirms me that what people says is true in IRL ( = in game).
But thank for the answer. Made me smile lulz.

View PostI -Q- I, on 12 February 2011 - 10:56 PM, said:

analyse me :rolleyes: .. if you wish :biggrin:

p.s. I love when noods own pr0's .. its just something that has no sense/logic but in the same time it's so funny .. "fun over realism" is just perfect! :cool:

Maybe the pro got an unhit shoot (that is very very frustrating...).

Maybe we could go more far. Maybe we could find any repport with the subconscient and the conscient of Freud...

#9 User is offline   Critofur Icon

• Account: critofur

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

Sometimes, on some servers, it seems like aim is useless - no matter that your crosshair is dead center on the opponent and you fire 3 - 5 shots but get no hits. Or, even, maybe you are in a narrow hallway and somehow you manage to empty your whole 30 round clip before dying, but still no hits...

This type of play is no fun no matter what - it's MUCH more fun (even if you loose badly) to play against a better player, but still know that your game is WORKING properly. In that case, I can try to outsmart the "better" player. Only VERY few players I can't trick at least some of the time. For this reason I LOVE to play 1-vs-1 CTF. Only once in the last decade have I ever found a player that I could not beat at least sometimes, if the server is working well for me. That player was named "Civ" - clearly he was good, but I have to wonder if he was a good player who also cheated?

There was another player I played against often who KNEW that his router messed up the game somehow. He was OK, but, somehow his messed up router really screwed up hit detection making him very hard to beat.

Sometimes, I find a VERY odd situation: hit detection seems to work much better for one team than the other. I have switched sides, back and forth, and the difference seemed too much to be simply because teams were stacked. On one color it seemed really hard to get hits, like only 10% - 20% of what should be good hits would register, but on the other side, getting hits was easy, and it seemed like the other team's bullets just didn't hurt you.

Some of the very best FPS players didn't play Urban Terror, I think. I played some "professional" Quake players and they would play for hours vs "normal" players without allowing a single frag on them (they would always suicide before letting you get them).

Back to Urban Terror/Psychology - I've only seen a few players who really really know the maps and USE the knowledge to know exactly where you will be and when you will be there, they carefully plan to catch you from the side, by surprise, use HK extremely well, etc.

EDIT: some maps I know well enough I can take 2 or 3 players at once vs just me, and beat them though I have not the best aim, or the best reflexes... I just have years of practice and love CTF strategy. They accuse me of "wallhack", or some other cheat. And I ask them to please let me email my recording of the match. Then they just disconnect, call me names, or kick me from the server insisting I must be cheating.

This post has been edited by Critofur: 14 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

#10 User is offline   I -Q- I Icon

• Account: iqi

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

View PostEads, on 12 February 2011 - 11:18 PM, said:

Ah ha ha. You know, it's not a contest about who has the best way to think in the game eh. And also, you have "writing" and "playing". Nothing confirms me that what people says is true in IRL ( = in game).
But thank for the answer. Made me smile lulz.

Maybe the pro got an unhit shoot (that is very very frustrating...).

Maybe we could go more far. Maybe we could find any repport with the subconscient and the conscient of Freud...

there is a way of thinking ... gosh that sound horrific :wacko:

how can shot be unhit? :rolleyes:

maybe?! :huh: .. I bet we can :wink: .. hell! I'm going .. cya :biggrin:
best things in life are free ;)

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942