Urban Terror Forums: Which game updates could help UrT rise from the ashes? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which game updates could help UrT rise from the ashes? Rate Topic: -----

Suggestions and discussion regarding what new players might expect

#1 User is offline   Rangina Icon

• Account: rangina
  • Main tag: |O_o|

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:54 AM

A few weeks ago, I (as a player of 10+ years) started a thread on UrT.fr, wondering what drove "new" (or young, or both) players to start playing UrT, but more importantly to keep playing it.

Very few "new" players joined the conversation, but a few ideas came up regarding why there were very few new players and how some simple (or sometimes not so simple) ideas could help big times.

Of course, the game's old age and graphics came up in the discussion, but there were some interesting suggestions.

Here they are, and I hope some of you guys will find additional ones... and eventually Frozen Sand might find some inspiration driving further development:

- Add basic (yet very UrT specific) key binds to the default config: Kevlar/Flag drop
- Adapt standard settings that mostly every regular player changes: Higher gamma, more visible crosshair
- Set Smallergun as default
- Set FOV to 110
- Provide players with a standard "tutorial" map (something like Happy Jump Tutorials?) that would help anyone get familiar with what makes the game unique (add a sort of shooting range with various weapons and you have a 5 minute experience to get started rather than depressed)
- Why not, if technically possible, use this standard map as a walkthrough for CFG learning and editing (ie each new step on the test map specifies the key to press for the expected action ("Press SPACE when jumping on a wall to walljump, you can do three walljumps in a row"), it might even help choose crosshairs, colors, etc
- Of course an automatic game update would help rather than having to go through the trouble of using UrTUpdater (when it works :()
- Make the menu more user-friendly, comprehensive, etc.
- Build divisions and ladders within the game (LoL, Starcraft, etc)?
- Add Match-making capabilities (CS:GO)

Of course, a lot also said that it was desperate and that nothing could change before UrT HD comes out... that this new version would need to be amazing to catch up with the competition... but that with word of mouth and some of the ideas presented in this thread, anything was possible.

Most of these suggestions come from Sadd, EmileLouisVuitton, s4int and myself on UrT.fr.

Gogogo, your turn people :).

#2 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:30 AM

I like most of these suggestions, so I will just comment on the others.

View PostRangina, on 25 February 2014 - 12:54 AM, said:

- Adapt standard settings that mostly every regular player changes: Higher gamma, more visible crosshair

One I've been curious about, does anyone use E for sprint?

- Set FOV to 110

110 looks a bit weirder in widescreen than 90, and most monitors/tvs are wider these days. It also makes for a narrower target when aiming. I use 90 btw.

- Provide players with a standard "tutorial" map (something like Happy Jump Tutorials?) that would help anyone get familiar with what makes the game unique (add a sort of shooting range with various weapons and you have a 5 minute experience to get started rather than depressed)

I think better than a tutorial map would be some tutorial videos on movement. They could be linked here or added as a menu option and included with the install (if someone is game enough to mess with Quake 3's awful menu system).

My suggestions:

- If anyone has played Warsow, they would have seen the video that plays when you first load up the game. I really like this, it gets you excited about a game you haven't played before.
- Add some information in the support section on the various cvars.

#3 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

- Provide players with a standard "tutorial" map [...]
- Why not, if technically possible, use this standard map as a walkthrough for CFG learning and editing (ie each new step on the test map specifies the key to press for the expected action ("Press SPACE when jumping on a wall to walljump, you can do three walljumps in a row"), it might even help choose crosshairs, colors, etc

Hm. i like the idea. 4.1 had a tutorial demo you could watch. (guess you remember, it was just on that choose your name popup)
But the first time i actually tried to view this i aborted the replay because of pressing any key......
More down at the quote of thelionroars post

- Add Match-making capabilities (CS:GO)

Hm. well. we have the start server thing as well as a find friend feature. I mean sure a more easy way would be cool (so actually only something like a quick play button, that joins you a random server)
But the game doesn't use lobbys and that stuff, so anything else wouldnt make much sense.

View Postthelionroars, on 25 February 2014 - 03:30 AM, said:

I think better than a tutorial map would be some tutorial videos on movement. They could be linked here or added as a menu option and included with the install (if someone is game enough to mess with Quake 3's awful menu system).

I got a modded main menu....
Spoiler

Id would be pretty easy to add buttons in the menu, but with no weblink support in it....

Actually i like the idea of an tutorial map more (like the 4.1 tut demo gets replaced with a "map ut_tutorial"
Such a map could even support bigtexts and shit. You could also have walls closing behind the player and respawns changing (actually teleports, like in assault, or the spawn-unlock system i posted @ CMM)
One could even add bots to a specific chamber, that wouldn't respawn there (same system as the unlock, but actually a lock)

Arrows at the jumps (like in that jump mode preview, or on some jumpmaps) would make it really awesome!!!!!

Tutorial map!. go for it CMM! xP
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#4 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

most of those suggestions would undoubtably improve urt, most of it has been suggested already..

yet i don't think one of this suggestions will lure new players to urt..

- Set FOV to 110
qant made an interesting suggestion, this would be a major improvement

- Provide players with a standard "tutorial" map ...bla...
- Why not, if technically possible, use this standard map....bla...
was discussed here

- Make the menu more user-friendly, comprehensive, etc.
fs isn't too keen on touching menus

i personally would love to know what makes new players join urt... when stuff like warface, etc. seems to be so much better

This post has been edited by KarlMariaSeeberg: 25 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#5 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

I loved the idea about the tutorial map so much, that i had to create one.
Got nothing better to do. Well. actually i have, but hey! <3 UrT

.map included.
No light and vis built so far.

download:
ut_tutorial.pk3|Mediafire, 2MB

Feel free to leave comments/suggestions here:
ut_tutorial

:) :dry: :wacko: :smile:

//edit Iye: added the forumstopic link

This post has been edited by Iye: 25 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   YAY5637 Icon

• Account: yay5637
  • Main tag: <PWC>

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Very nice map ;)
I dont think its necessary to point out its flaws yet :P

#7 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

thx ^^.
i did it in like 3 hours or so
but feel free to make suggestions and report bugs at the topic i created.
dont want to take over this one, since its a pretty interesting one already.

ut_tutorial Topic

#8 User is offline   saint Icon

•   community admin   
    www.urban-terror.fr
  • Account: saint
  • Main tag: pwnie.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

Well, as you know Rangina, I agree with all the things you said.

Question : what are the features, among these ones, that FS might be able to implement within 4.2 ? For example, when you look at KMS "menu" topic, a codebase developer wrote it was absolutely terrific to work on that subject, with Q3 engine.

#9 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

i forgot to mention ... as we all know fs was able to integrate the dma settings in the menus.. so i am not sure the one year old statement is still correct

personally i think it would be wise to slow down those new additions that come with every release, instead focusing on the assets this game already has and has gained with the 4.2.0xx release history is the thing to do.. there are more and more complaints about the game's performance .

i am well aware adding a new gun or a new game mode is more interesting than overhauling the in game menus or the default cfg settings.. yet it might help to keep new players interested in playing the game.
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#10 User is offline   saint Icon

•   community admin   
    www.urban-terror.fr
  • Account: saint
  • Main tag: pwnie.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

View PostKarlMariaSeeberg, on 25 February 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

i am well aware adding a new gun or a new game mode is more interesting than overhauling the in game menus or the default cfg settings.. yet it might help to keep new players interested in playing the game.

Exactly. Would be quite interesting if one FS admin had informations to share about remodeling the game menus.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942