• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The story behind Urban Terror 4.2 Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   cholzzon Icon

• Account: cholzzon
  • Main tag: puff**

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

4.2 did kill urt. The NA scene died because they refused to play a buggy game, you won't blame them for that, will you?
I know quite a number of players who felt the same.
When you released 4.2 it was unplayable. 4.1 had it flaws too, but it was playable. I find it funny that urt activity peaked after FS had little influence on the game for years.

I don't mean to chase a dead body, but the list of screw ups by FS since 4.2 release is sooo long. Just naming the biggest; you recruited some kid who stole your source and compromised your auth server and anti cheat and who knows what else. Then you got hacked through an exploit known and being warned of for months.

What's left of the playerbase now is the remnants of incest in the 9th generation. Everyone in their right mind doesn't actively play this game anymore.

I wish you all the best for HD.
retired veteran

#14 User is offline   shad0w Icon

• Account: shad0w
  • Main tag: =jF=

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hmpfh, i really feel like you guys should have mentioned the lost source code of 4.1 right after the release of 4.2, would have saved you from a lot of flame/insult.
Like even with the latest of 4.2, it didnt really feel like a big improvement of the game compared to 4.1.1 (for me atleast) considering all the work you guys did put in and i always questioned myself why they didnt just fix some minor bugs in 4.1.1 and move on to hd, guess i know the answer a little too late.
People really had huge hopes for 4.2, a working anti-cheat, auth-system, all the bad things of 4.1 fixed, but it looks like you guys digged your own grave with setting a release datum and an "unfinished game".
The reason most of the players left however probably doesnt even have to be related to all that, more to the quake3 generation growing up (and thus big, old clans like puff,jF, M|, SG..) leaving the game, which led to little to no competition at the top so the newer powerhouses (aCe, KoS, rekt..) eventually got bored and did quit the game aswell.
Like for me personally,UrT is still my favorite game, but proper guys to play with and against are missing.
I cant really see a way to make it really popular again, since most of new gamers dont even know what q3 or urt even is :(

This post has been edited by shad0w: 30 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

#15 User is offline   Fredrik Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: fredrik

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:00 AM

View Postshad0w, on 30 July 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

i really feel like you guys should have mentioned the lost source code of 4.1 right after the release of 4.2, would have saved you from a lot of flame/insult.

http://youtu.be/esXJN_OTkmU?t=40s

This post has been edited by Fredrik: 31 July 2014 - 02:02 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#17 User is offline   Lecter2142 Icon

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

So if I understood you correctly:

• No source code of 4.1;
  • There is a source code for 4.2 that you've been working on for four years or so;
  • You prefer to switch to making a new source code from scratch instead of polishing and working more on the actual version of the game which is quite decent and valuable now;
  • You're using an engine that does not even work on everyone's computer because it is too high performance (ie: Barbatos had to borrow the computer of someone else to work on UDK);
  • You will make people pay to create content (= buying udk to make maps);

Why didn't you stick with ioquake3 again? Too old? Well there are still plenty of games today who use the quake3 engine and are not having any difficulties with having high graphics or a good player base (best example: Quake Live).

It's not a question of what you're using to make the game, it's a question of what you already have for this game. You have a source code, and more importantly you have content. Tons of maps that will disappear because of another engine... Some people on this game don't realize that we have actually some awesome maps playable for competitions but they always want to stick with the same (boring) ones.
Also, you have knowledge about the actual source code. If I understood correctly, you have to spend time to learn the new engine... That's not helping from a time perspective.

The release of 4.2 was a big risk but now you have something. You've got something working and decent that makes as much sense as 4.1 and that blows away the pro 4.1's arguments. You already want to switch? You want to take more risks again?

If you can't make UDK work on everyone's computer, what about the people who will have to play it? No where I've seen a post of yours about your care for those who are already having difficulties to run the actual game version on their computer...

I hope you don't have your eyes bigger than your stomach and you don't put all the emphasis on the graphics (because for now that's the most I've heard about). The game now is great. The actual special graphics of counter-strike/not too evolved/not so bling-bling is what makes the charm of this game.

So I hope that for those of us who don't have the latest computer out on the market you will allow more flexibility in the game and thus more settings and parameters (disable/enable textures, different lightmaps, more sound settings, etc).

Again correct me if I'm wrong and I hope I'm wrong. Also, all of this is respectful. It's not because some people have big mouths that everyone does...

This post has been edited by Lecter2142: 31 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

#19 User is offline   Lecter2142 Icon

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for your answer :) . I have nothing to say, you've answered most of my worries.

I forgot to ask another question and this is just for the sake of asking (I'm not going to elaborate): as you said UrT HD will be a new game, does it mean there could be any slight chance of making UrT 4.2 open source for those who would like to keep on working with ioquake3 when HD will be out (just the source code, not the assets) ?

Thanks again!

This post has been edited by Lecter2142: 31 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942