• You cannot reply to this topic

The story behind Urban Terror 4.2 Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

You will make people pay to create content (= buying udk to make maps);

just for the information, has nothing to to with the idea i do imply in your question, which barbatos already answered.

UDK is actually FREE. (UDK ~= UE3)
UE4 is what costs a subscription fee. (and what its what HD will be using)
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#22 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

4.2 was released way too early; way too late in Urban Terror's life.

#23 User is offline   cholzzon Icon

• Account: cholzzon
  • Main tag: puff**

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

I didn't mean to dimish your "investment" or work. I just disagreed to the statement "4.2 didn't kill urt".

First time you promised us 4.2 was more than 5 years ago; with mostly the same new features it has now (anti cheat, auth, jump mode, lms, new spas, etc.). I wonder what you guys have been doing in all these years, when you said that stuff was nearly done back then. And where's the VoIP, P-90 and katana? :-D

I didn't really follow all the development, most I know is through the last active swedes, who now also quit, so I may be wrong on some stuff. My brother and me came back when after the 4.2 release to give it a shot and we were greatly disappointed. I stuck around to see where this route ends, you guys were replying to community suggestions and even implemented some, so there was in fact a lot of improvement.

After all you failed to make use of the anti cheat, when it worked. You rewrote the auth server extremely fast after it was hacked, got to give you that.

As for the NA scene, I kind of agree with Blade, but we seem to have different definitions of "dead", as FTW/STF had more teams than UZ has now.

I really like this blog, there's just a couple points that interfere with my peace of mind
retired veteran

#24 User is offline   Nounou Icon

•   former FS member   
    Concept Artist
  • Account: nounou

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostBarbatos, on 31 July 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

People like BladeKiller or Nounou were very skeptical about UE4 tools too and after a few days of working with these tools they would not look behind for a second.

Yes i was fearing about the feeling of the next Urt. Then i put my hands on the editor and i also saw what was done with walljumps lately in UE4 in a so small amount of time and I have no doubt we have to continue with it. And now I look like a crappy tv spot.

20 euros is a detail, I'm glad finally we didn't continued on old HD and get forced to spend hours with a bad mix of GTK & modeling for another 10 years. It's maybe yet too early for community mappers to work with UE4, and we'll be more prepared & have more knowledge later to help. People are probably waiting for more physics implemented but most maps are built since years without any payback, feedback, and for now without possibilities to test a map with current urt's gameplay.
Maps still played today have been built before walljump and slide get implemented that's not a big deal. That's even less a problem with ue4 you'll be able to change and test every jumps within ten seconds.
Urt has been looking like a pretty decent game in the past too. So if better graphics can attract and gets this gameplay a futur then i'm happy to help corrupting the young souls with eye-candy. In the futur, it's probably hundreds of mappers who will map with UE4 on the many different games coming with this engine, who will share their knowledge about the soft.
When i think about all the hours spent on maps, 20 € is no-thing when you're motivated to build a map with ue4. It's way much more than a fair deal when it saves you hundreds of hours and has almost not limits for 2014.

Anyway if we're not trying then I'll just leave it like that. Like FS devs planned to stop after 4.1 release already 6 years ago (right ?). 6-5 years ago people were already saying the game was dying or wasn't the same as before so how is it possible to take this whole thing as serious as people are about 4.2 anyway.
And we're not id lecter and even more it's obvious that Urt isn't what quake represents.
just my humble opinion

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:51 AM

View PostRaideR, on 31 July 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

4.2 is more or less retired to me now. I will be focusing on something new.

this makes me sad...
i feel 4.2 and the whole q3 area of urt should have a decent end, there should be a final version that's worthy of urt's decade long history..
a final salute of some sort .. not a bug-ridden, badly performing version of urt..
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#28 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostBarbatos, on 02 August 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

RaideR decided not to work on 4.2 things anymore, it doesn't mean that it is the case for everyone. The support for 4.2 continues at least until a release of Urban Terror HD.

thanks for clearing that up ..

looking forward to .019 then
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#29 User is offline   Solitary Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: solitary
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:10 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 30 July 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

I'm surprised to see so many still playing UrT in any form after all these years and with so many new games released during that time. The NA scene started dying before they killed STA. People were fighting so much with the league admins that they all quit. I'm friends with several of those admins and was in XTC at the time.

For The Win Gaming League far exceed STA in terms of raw numbers. FTWGL in team survivor alone had multiple divisions and roughly 50~ teams at it's peak, this isn't even considering CTF.

The North American scene began dwindling immediately after the release of 4.2. The number of teams which actually signed up dropped drastically the following season. That being said, it wasn't only the release of 4.2, but also a lack of organization by the group of admins at that time. But perhaps at that point the ship had already sailed. It's just unfortunate it happened, but I suppose it was only a matter of time.

We're not against you, many of us loved this game and wished to see it continue to grow in popularity. It's unfortunate that the release of 4.2 was buggy - but more detrimental was the fact that it segregated the community into two divides, those that played 4.1 and those that played 4.2. This divide was the beginning of the end for the community.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942