• +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The story behind Urban Terror 4.2 Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   BorderFox Icon

• Account: borderfox

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

On a side note - profile 2010 - we are getting old - so FS - you up to it or just let it go.
BorderFox

#42 User is offline   sparkster Icon

• Account: sparkster

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hi Guys

I've been playing Urban Terror for a very long time (on and off) and by a long time I mean, I used to play Quake 2 and when that was dying this was suggested as a replacement. These are my two favourite shoot em ups ever since I was 14 (I am now 30 lol).

I've played various other shooters like several of the CS titles, BF titles, etc, but nothing comes close to the enjoyment that both Quake 2, and then, Urban Terror gave me.

I am from New Zealand so I played a lot on the Aus/NZ communities over the years and slowly watched them get smaller over time, however, in my opinion it was 4.2 that completely killed them.

I'd love to see an Aus/NZ community be reborn and here is hoping the new HD release on the new engine will achieve that.

In any case here is a time-line of events of why 4.2 killed the Aus/NZ communities (I can't speak on behalf of other communities I was not involved in).

Also I just want to make it clear, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the look or feel of 4.2 in general.

*Performance Issues*
In 4.1 My FPS never dropped below 60. I tried 4.2 (well after release) and during fire fights I went below 10 FPS. I had an old Athlon X2 II 250 with a 9600GT, but still more than enough for this old game so I couldn't understand why there was a performance drop, nor did I care to look into it and just continued playing 4.1.

If I had these issues, how many other people had the same issues and did nothing about it like I did?

*Community Divided*
More and more 4.2 servers started to pop up and slowly people were trying 4.2 out and slowly servers were migrating over to 4.2 servers. Slowly the small community divided into two.

*No Servers from the Master Server*
Eventually the support for 4.1 was stopped and I could not find any servers on my list. Now there is still a work around for this, however, it doesn't work for me despite working for several players I know. Even if it did, think about how many people who just logged into the game on day, it didn't work so they were just like *Meh, the games dead, I'll just go play something else* Some of the newer players don't even know how to manually connect to a server.

After all of this occurred, I could still manually connect to servers, but what incentive did I have to keep playing? Even if I fixed the buggy 4.2 issues, there was no one left to play with.

----

In my view, if 4.2 was an automatic update to the game when you launched the 4.1 client and all the 4.1 servers had been instantly replaced then I think this game would still have a strong player base in general.

Also please don't take this post as a gripe, I am very grateful that such an amazing game was available for me to play for so many years. There is nothing else like it out there. This is simply my view on how 4.2 killed the Aus/NZ community.

This post has been edited by sparkster: 31 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

#44 User is offline   Critofur Icon

• Account: critofur

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:54 AM

EDIT: If there ever is a Steam version of Urban Terror based on a new 3D game engine, that is very exciting, and I would certainly be happy to pay for it (as long as you don't become like EA and charge for "Zero Day DLC") :)

Thanks for sharing your news.

View PostFenix, on 29 June 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

HDD failure if I remember correctly, and no, it has never been mentioned

I have seen so many hard drives die - it is for that reason that I keep a NAS in the basement with all my important data (files, family photos, etc) on a mirrored storage device. It's not expensive - I bought a pair of Seagate low power 2TB "green" hard drives for $59 each and the NAS itself cost about $75 (2 drive bay capacity). It's not very fast, but it's reliable.

I have had one drive in the NAS die, which I replaced. I know keep a new unopened spare identical disk sitting by ready to swap in in case another drive fails, as I don't if the same model HDD will be available in the future.

I suggest for basically anyone who uses a computer to have a NAS with mirrored (or other type of RAID) disk storage. Not only that, but also keep any files which you consider ESSENTIAL backed up at another physical location in case of theft or fire etc. Flash drives are cheap enough these days, you could backup data to a USB Flash drive and put it in a desk drawer at some other place, in addition to using a NAS with RAID.

In case your main PC becomes infected with a Virus or other Malware which encrypts your data, most likely it would not affect network storage - this is another reason to use a NAS (and not just mirrored disks on your PC itself).

This post has been edited by Critofur: 23 December 2014 - 02:03 AM

#45 User is offline   ryan Icon

• Account: ryan

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:07 AM

Barbatos! Cool story. I'm the guy that has been bothering you about openbsd patches to ioquake3-for-urbanterror-4. I'll clone the repo to my github account and send you a push request finally one day, i swear!

After some of the complaints i saw after your post, thought i'd take a chance to say thanks for all your efforts. I myself have been playing this game from around 2.5 or 2.6ish? I found it originally around 2001/2002 I believe. Anyway, it was the closest thing to Counterstrike I could find that would work on my linux machine at the time, on my voodoo3 (in a pII 300mhz no less!). Didn't think I would grow to love it not only more but completely forget about Counterstrike!

Around 2004/2005 I started the Goomba TDM server which saw myself (usually as ryan[sg]) and another ryan from southern california (Shadow, ShadowBong, HEBongTokes) helping me administer it, usually with 16-20 players. i had smaller player cap as i hosted it from home on cable. Met many friends over the years until I finally shut it down around 2010.

Spent quite some time after 4.2 release complaining like all the rest, though mostly because I couldn't get it running on my precious OS of choice ;) Clinging to 4.1.1 as long as i could until even the last couple servers that saw regulars started to be empty, I one day decided enough was enough and I had to get 4.2.whatever going. I was surprised that in the end, after getting 4.2.whatever working with a semi-recent ioq3 that didn't actually work (yay engine linkage error #31 or whatnot!) patching the ioquake3-for-urbanterror-4 codebase proved far easier in the end. Now here I am still. \o/

Keep up the good work guys, many may have left, some came back? bladekiller i seem to recall the name of from the very first version i downloaded almost 15 years ago.

Finally, I apologize for the unleashing of the Nikki. If I hadn't gone and introduced her to this game, you wouldn't all be dead at her feet. What have I done?! Cheers Nikki ;)

Big thanks to everyone altogether, look forward to seeing at least my little server come back hopefully soon :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#46 User is offline   ibrahim2712 Icon

• Account: ibrahim2712

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:04 AM

If you guys release HD, please don't change the maps too much. The calm feeling about the maps in 4.1 with the peaceful background noises are so awesome.

#47 User is offline   tintir Icon

• Account: tintir
  • Main tag: MsT*|

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

The maps in HD are, visually, going to be more modern. If you have played Battlefield 4 you find living backgrounds and other games got birds flying around in the map.
I ofc like the way it's now, but I agree with, that it needs to be modernized.

#48 User is offline   six6 Icon

• Account: six6
  • Main tag: =KRH=

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

I also hope to see some new maps

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942