Urban Terror Forums: We are back! No hacks, no admin errors, just Storage death! - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

We are back! No hacks, no admin errors, just Storage death! Rate Topic: -----

Web Services Restored

#11 User is offline   Kenny Icon

• Account: kenny

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:45 AM

Hopefully Raider doesn't disappear the "next" time it goes down.

It's better going with a cloud provider that makes it easy to recover, like digital ocean, or aws. With a touch of a button you can just recover to an earlier snapshot and since they have so many nodes you'd see little downtime.

Relying on a single person to do tedious tasks you are describing is pointless, its 2014 everything is automated.

#12 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

View PostKenny, on 29 November 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Hopefully Raider doesn't disappear the "next" time it goes down.

It's better going with a cloud provider that makes it easy to recover, like digital ocean, or aws. With a touch of a button you can just recover to an earlier snapshot and since they have so many nodes you'd see little downtime.

Relying on a single person to do tedious tasks you are describing is pointless, its 2014 everything is automated.

I'm sure RaideR (who makes a very respectable living doing admin) and EvilElf (who holds a CCIE) are feeling appropriately schooled by you :rolleyes:

#13 User is offline   azra3l Icon

• Account: azra3l

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:33 PM

Great job, RaideR, Evilelf, FS admins and staff!

Happy to have you guys out there!
Without your work and engagement, we all couldn´t play the most breathtaking game in the world!

I´m gonna spend a box of [SAAR]LANDISH beer, commonly known as [SAAR]FÜRST, as you will be around here in the area Germany-France-Luxembourg!
Thank you in the name of [SAAR]AH from urban-terror.net with [SAAR]LAND CTF server @ 93.186.198.109:29015

Cheers!
Azra3L aka [SAAR]BOTEUR :ph34r:

This post has been edited by azra3l: 30 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

________________________________________________________________________________
Azra3L aka [SAAR]BOTEUR
Fun Clan: [SAAR]AH
Gameserver: [SAAR]LAND CTF
Homepage: urban-terror.net

#14 User is offline   squirt Icon

• Account: squirt

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

Great Job, RaideR and Evilelf, for getting the servers and site back online. And thanks to all the Frozen Sands admins, developers and staff for continuing to produce a great game that we all use to kill hours out of our day. :biggrin:

#15 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

Our CDN is now fixed, the updater will work again.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   TheRealFubar Icon

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:25 PM

Glad to see you back up! :smile:

#17 User is offline   ItsMe Icon

• Account: itsme
  • Main tag: bc`

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:09 AM

View Postthelionroars, on 29 November 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

I'm sure RaideR (who makes a very respectable living doing admin) and EvilElf (who holds a CCIE) are feeling appropriately schooled by you :rolleyes:

You're totally right, those guys at Amazon, Google, Dropbox (who host on AWS) are some nobodies with no education and grades compared to RaideR and EvilElf with no knowledge about redundancy, clusters and disaster recovery.
Hint: AWS and co. are build for exactly that. Those few CPU cycles the database/ master/ auth need are a cheap buy there.

Our primary database server suffered a HD failure

Shit like that happens to everyone. But what sane admin (especially those 'who makes a very respectable living doing admin' and the other ones 'who hold a CCIE') depend his services to ONE box that seems not to have a proper 'drop out strategy' like a simple Raid and/ or ZFS (ok, ok, for all I care even LVM) snapschots?

HardRAID+ LSI 9271-4i CacheVault 1 GB 3 x 600 GB SAS 15K + CacheCade 80 GB SSD

Look into my crystal ball:
Hum, Raid 5. On a heavy used Database (on the other hand how heavy can your database be used)? The partition for your virtual environment is still on the Raid 5 - consider invest in at least one another HDD for a small Raid 10.
But, according to thelionroars, how can I tell you that? You're RaideR (who makes a very respectable living doing admin) and EvilElf (who holds a CCIE) and thelionroars (who writes funny posts in UrT forums) and ofc have considered that.
Hopefully you've bought a on-site SLA...

@RaideR, @EvilElf: Don't take that seriously against you as person. We all in IT have our limitations like budget, dead lines + stupid bosses and customers.
But exactly this way (with even harsher words) I talk to (or how they talk to me) colleagues, freelancers and other professionals I have to work with when those incidents happen like that what happened to you.

@thelionroars: don't bark like a kicked dog when somebody writes a post against your beloved FS team.

--
ItsMe

PS. After 3-4 years don't forget to check the BBU battery

#18 User is offline   azra3l Icon

• Account: azra3l

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

Dear bc´ItsMe,

now we all know how professional you are!
THX for that!

But exactly this way (with even harsher words) I talk to (or how they talk to me) colleagues, freelancers and other professionals I have to work with when those incidents happen like that what happened to you.

Criticizing the work and engagement of others is always easier than doing something yourself.
Instead of posting "Klugscheisser"(smartass)-posts you should respect the work that someone else IS doing.
You are just POSTING...they are DOING the job.

Wimp!

Cheers Azra3L

This post has been edited by azra3l: 30 November 2014 - 01:35 PM

________________________________________________________________________________
Azra3L aka [SAAR]BOTEUR
Fun Clan: [SAAR]AH
Gameserver: [SAAR]LAND CTF
Homepage: urban-terror.net

#19 User is offline   Acid3croco Icon

• Account: acid3croco

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

Hello,
Sorry to disturb you but I am on Mac OS X 10.9.5 and I still have "no list from master server" problem :(
Please help
Acid3croco

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942