Urban Terror Forums: We are back! No hacks, no admin errors, just Storage death! - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

We are back! No hacks, no admin errors, just Storage death! Rate Topic: -----

Web Services Restored

#22 User is offline   e-junkie Icon

• Account: ejunkie

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

thanks for your continued hard work over the years
i'm starting to get to an age where you can afford to spend a few bucks here and there so i want you to know that i think you can tell us if you need some financial support. i'd throw some in for sure.

#23 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostItsMe, on 30 November 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

You're totally right, those guys at Amazon, Google, Dropbox (who host on AWS) are some nobodies with no education and grades compared to RaideR and EvilElf with no knowledge about redundancy, clusters and disaster recovery.
Hint: AWS and co. are build for exactly that. Those few CPU cycles the database/ master/ auth need are a cheap buy there.

I was making exactly the same point you went on to make that everyone has their budget limits. Take some of your own advice about not barking like a kicked dog :rolleyes:

#24 User is offline   Kenny Icon

• Account: kenny

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:12 AM

Yeah, I wasn't trying to crap on Raider or Elf. From what I understand there more network/IT guys anywho...

I can sympathize with the pain they went through getting it up again, which is why I suggested some cloud providers. There may be some items urt can cheap out on to get on board a cloud provider. Some of the software services that are there are a current trend these days for a reason.

This post has been edited by Kenny: 01 December 2014 - 05:15 AM

#25 User is offline   TehReaper Icon

• Account: tehreaper

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for all the hard work guys! Hardware failures are never fun.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Angelface Icon

• Account: angelface

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:26 AM

View Postthelionroars, on 29 November 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

I'm sure RaideR (who makes a very respectable living doing admin)

Read: Helpdesk, and by the look of it, Tier 1.

View Postthelionroars, on 29 November 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

and EvilElf (who holds a CCIE)

Did he get laid off by Cisco with their data-center reconstruction, too?

I'm sure you're well-meaning, but between a "respectable" admin and a CCIE, the site just can't seem to stay up. It's enough to make one curious as to exactly why it went down in the first place.

I think both praise and criticism have a place here. Yet I see nothing but praise.

#27 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:34 PM

I am not going to say that Frozen Sands have the perfect infrastructure in place, because quite frankly they don't. However they also don't have the financial resources to develop such a infrastructure that has good high availability in place. Thatis not to say they do not work with what they have really well!

Sometimes people forget how much maintenance can be involved behind the scenes and especially with the continuous development of both UrT4.2 and UrT HD I can't say a single bad word about how the recovery of the website and services was tackled.

People forget that everyone on the team is working for free and also have full time jobs and family commitments that take priority first (even during disaster recoveries)

I think it is selfish for one person to compare the downtime and recovery of urban terror to that of a proper business model with the likes of battle.net (which even has its own problems too).

In fact the time taken to recover from hardware failure was actually commendable I thought given that a small volunteer group only working a few hours each night was able to have the website and other services back up and running after a few days.

Also lets face it, The website being down a week or two doesn't really affect the players in a major way. Game Servers were still up, people still played like normal it just required a little bit more know how than the usual pick a server off a list.

And lastly, targeting admins and developers for not working to your time scale is laughable at best but quite simply moronic, targeting their skills is another pointless discussion. They have built and maintained this game for over a decade - what have you done?

The only single point I would like to talk about though is to have TWO separate master servers on different physical machines/locations that way there is some extra redundancy for the players compared to the current situation were servers send double broadcasts to the same machine just different IP's
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#28 User is offline   Acid3croco Icon

• Account: acid3croco

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

View PostBarbatos, on 30 November 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Please check the value of your cvar cl_master. It should be "master.urbanterror.info". Then click on "Get new list".

Hello,
And how do i do that since my console is all blurred in red, blue and white colours...

This post has been edited by Acid3croco: 02 December 2014 - 05:49 PM

#30 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:03 PM

now thats some great news right there! thanks for the heads up barbie :)
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942