Urban Terror Forums: Random Lag associated with the load command - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1

Random Lag associated with the load command Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:26 AM

Hello Everyone,

Since setting up my server, I have noticed that I will sometimes get random lag spikes which are often associated with me running the /load command. I'm running the current vanilla dedicated server binary. Is there anything I can do to try an relieve this? I have run the "top" command in linux and watched the server processes and I'm never anywhere near my CPU or RAM max, but yet it feels like some sort of processing lag. Its possible it has to do with the actual connection, however my server is hosted at a central server farm, so I doubt that is the case.

Thanks for the help,

KroniK

This post has been edited by KroniK: 29 May 2015 - 06:27 AM

#2 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

Is the server running on a virtual server? "server farm" sounds like something like amazon EC2 or similar cloud computing platform...
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#4 User is offline   DSZ Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: dsz

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

I have to admit, sometimes using /load cause some lag spike but I figured out it isnt server side but client (or both have something common). Few times I heard that people complained about it but server didnt lag for everyone but only for somebody who used /load, randomly or even few times in a row. Others suggested to clean up urban terror little bit, move out screenshots, demos etc.

Few things in jump mode are weird:
https://github.com/F...or42/issues/200 - missing guid which is needed when server using permanent position save cus it have to put xyz + guid in to filename on server after when client quit.

https://github.com/F...or42/issues/131 - wrong load position (usually somebody else who played before us) happens all the time what is annoying

https://github.com/F...ror42/issues/80 - even coordinates of "Y" axis are wrong when saving.

Who knows maybe something from above issues have something common with lags or create conflicts.

Dont have to mention that many players using very old client binaries (I see that on webserver logs when they dowloading maps, and sometimes they cant cus Im using on server /download/ dir and their old clients doesnt understand how to put downloaded map in to their q3ut4/download/ dir) cus broken updater many times updated only .pk3 files and not .exe or other binaries. Good that upcoming 4.3 version everyone will have to download as full pack :) it will resolve problem with old binaries.

Sorry for my 0.2€ :P

#5 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:31 PM

@Barbatos

Yes, its in jump mode when you run the /load command. I think DSZ might have the answer here. I assumed it was server side because the netgraph would give a yellow spike on the top half which I have always associated with server lag.

@Nitro

I am not running specifically on amazon, but yes, my server is a hosted VPS in Chicago.

@DSZ

I can confirm each one of the bugs you mention. I always thought I had somehow set up my server wrong, or had issues because I had been running 2 different servers, but I have recently created two completely separate game folders for each of my servers and the issues persisted.

This post has been edited by KroniK: 29 May 2015 - 10:32 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Extra1 Icon

• Account: extra1

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:15 PM

I recommend getting fiberglass internet.(from a decent provider)

Load/Save should not cause any lag if it does its probably your own system.

If you have any doubt feel free to try out our jump server and test it out.

KUT.NL.JUMP /connect 217.26.96.248:27965

If you have lag there also when using load save its most likely your side of thing because i dont have any issues neither has anyone else on it.

Also try to separate servers on cpu's for instance you have a dual core set the affinity to only 1 cpu per server or use the com_singlecore "1" cvar.

I could get a better idea what could cause it but than you would have to inform me a little more about how you host it.
(hardware internet speed Other programs you might run)

This post has been edited by Extra1: 30 May 2015 - 11:25 PM

#7 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:22 PM

Kronik,

VPS servers can be a pain in the ass on a good day - I know i tried (I mean I really tried, NitroServers back in the day tried VPS on both Intel and AMD hardware with VPS supporting chips, we tried Open-VZ, KVM, and Xen on both hardware - we even gave each VPS ample CPU and RAM) even after all the testing we could never get a decent setup where the server was consistent and stable, and this was on a dedicated server that was not shared by anyone else! so imagine it would be worse if renting a VPS from a reseller.

That being said jump servers are different and a little lag every now and then can generally go unnoticed.

Disk I/O on VPS servers will be a key point to test. If there are many "location" files stored for players and the "/Load" command requires a search of these files then perhaps this is where the CPU/Disk I/O struggles?

A quick test would be to lock the server for testing, delete all location files, "/save" your own location and then test "/load" with a single location file on disk. Compare these results to your current situation and if there is any improvement then you may have found the contributing factor to your issue.

This post has been edited by Nitro: 01 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942