• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Return of FTWGL... Rate Topic: -----

(Is the NA scene dead?)

#1 User is offline   X3igh7 Icon

• Account: x3igh7

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hey all,

Wow, it's been ages since I last lurked on these forums. For those who don't know me, I'm best known as x8 and co-founded FTWGL after STA died back in the day used to help administrate the league for 7-8 seasons before the general decline of the Urban Terror NA, website issues, drama, and real life drove off most of the people who supported the competitions.

Over the last couple years I taught myself web development (it's even my full time job now) and have been rebuilding the FTWGL website from scratch in my free time to support all the stuff we used to do in FTWGL but with a lot less manual work on the admins behalf.

At this point I feel like the website is more or less ready to be used, but I'm not sure I have the stamina to administrate the league. Nor have I played UrT with any sort of regularity in years.

So I'm putting out a bit of a feeler to see if anyone would be interested in running a league on my platform. I'd obviously be available to fix any bugs and make any feature enhancements as necessary and help out with some more general things.

Please let me know. I'd be primarily interested in serving whats left of the North American community, but I certainly don't want to neglect our South American friends who once upon a time made FTW the largest Urban Terror league. In theory you can run multiple concurrant seasons with different admins etc all on the same platform, so a EU league could be run as well.

---

Side note: If people are interested in helping to develop the league, you can check it out @ https://github.com/x3igh7/ftwgl

We also have a Facebook page @ https://www.facebook...WinGamingLeague

I can't necessarily vouch for the quality of the code. I started this 2 years ago when I barely knew anything and have been patching it ever since.

This post has been edited by X3igh7: 04 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

x8` - FTWGL Head Admin
www.ftwgl.com

#2 User is offline   AnonDafb Icon

• Account: anondafb
  • Main tag: <

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:15 AM

Can be great if that league can go back.
I remember when I participate in the last season to years ago.
I need anything tell me ;)

#3 User is offline   mathieu Icon

• Account: mathieu
  • Main tag: [KzH]

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:34 AM

not sure NA has much team left to play competition but anyway if EU league open, we'd pleased to join at @aCen good luck into reviving ftwgl. :)

#4 User is offline   BRAVO Icon

• Account: bravo

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:52 PM

View Postmathieu, on 05 June 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

not sure NA has much team left to play competition but anyway if EU league open, we'd pleased to join at @aCen good luck into reviving ftwgl. :)

This is great news!!, hope it to be a strong league again. STF seemd cool too, and you were in it so u'v got experience.

Many have left, and many may come back, but there are also many new players too, most may have not played previous FTW seasons, or don't have a team who to play it with. So (considering NA scene may be running a bit low on numbers) would be a cool idea i think, if you add some kind of sistem for players to easily find/create teams fun teams, even if it's just to play that league (i mean some kind of team auto-generation for players with no team willing to play).

It would also be cool if you add some kind of Auth restriction to play league, in the sense of auth age or soo, because it would be not cool to see ppl who has been caught cheating in 4.2.x by the anticheat system playing the league with a brand new account (and may cheating again).

This post has been edited by BRAVO: 05 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE

I KILL PEOPLE

#5 User is offline   posssesssed Icon

• Account: posssesssed
  • Main tag: iCu*

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:44 PM

View PostX3igh7, on 04 June 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

Hey all,

Wow, it's been ages since I last lurked on these forums. For those who don't know me, I'm best known as x8 and co-founded FTWGL after STA died back in the day used to help administrate the league for 7-8 seasons before the general decline of the Urban Terror NA, website issues, drama, and real life drove off most of the people who supported the competitions.

Over the last couple years I taught myself web development (it's even my full time job now) and have been rebuilding the FTWGL website from scratch in my free time to support all the stuff we used to do in FTWGL but with a lot less manual work on the admins behalf.

At this point I feel like the website is more or less ready to be used, but I'm not sure I have the stamina to administrate the league. Nor have I played UrT with any sort of regularity in years.

So I'm putting out a bit of a feeler to see if anyone would be interested in running a league on my platform. I'd obviously be available to fix any bugs and make any feature enhancements as necessary and help out with some more general things.

Please let me know. I'd be primarily interested in serving whats left of the North American community, but I certainly don't want to neglect our South American friends who once upon a time made FTW the largest Urban Terror league. In theory you can run multiple concurrant seasons with different admins etc all on the same platform, so a EU league could be run as well.

---

Side note: If people are interested in helping to develop the league, you can check it out @ https://github.com/x3igh7/ftwgl

We also have a Facebook page @ https://www.facebook...WinGamingLeague

I can't necessarily vouch for the quality of the code. I started this 2 years ago when I barely knew anything and have been patching it ever since.

sup x8

i think u are on track. it is time to start looking forward, and putting pieces together for what will become a new league. HD is a ways off, which should give us interested parties plenty of time to get together and decide the proper course to achieve the best possible setup we could establish for when it finally arrives. i have 3 initial questions for u

would u offer your prior experience in setting up a new urban terror league?

would u be open to working with others to enhance the site?

how long is your lease on ftwgl.com?

--

one thing any new north american league will depend on is a HD release. without HD, there can be no real north american league. to add to this, HD needs to be a viable option. in addition to its added features/upgrades, it has to be functional (duh :P). HDs really going to need a good replay setup. its going to need some sort of working anticheat. and yes, as ive said all along (FS has been on board with this since switching engines)... it needs to be released on steam and appropriately promoted within the highly competitive fps world. these are musts on FSs part if HD is to become something special in the realm of top fps's.

and when it comes to creating a league... its not about just having a league in north america, its about having a league to proud about, a reliable, functional league to represent our community in a game we all love. there are so many ppl out there that have no idea about urt, so many competitive players i feel would just love a great urt HD release if it comes, and to have that league in place for those competitive players to be be able to slide into... it just has to already be there to happen. getting populated may not happen overnight. but if FS does there part, the north american community has to do theirs.

--

tldr: im down.

This post has been edited by posssesssed: 08 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   slade Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: slade

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:32 AM

i would love to donate time and resources to starting a league.

FTWGL was a great league although the admins seemed a lil young n easily taken into drama(so was i).

i think it was a great league which allowed a closer community and more leagues should be ran just like it.

gl and contact me if you need help.

#7 User is offline   X3igh7 Icon

• Account: x3igh7

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

View Postposssesssed, on 07 June 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

sup x8

i think u are on track. it is time to start looking forward, and putting pieces together for what will become a new league. HD is a ways off, which should give us interested parties plenty of time to get together and decide the proper course to achieve the best possible setup we could establish for when it finally arrives. i have 3 initial questions for u

would u offer your prior experience in setting up a new urban terror league?

would u be open to working with others to enhance the site?

how long is your lease on ftwgl.com?

--

one thing any new north american league will depend on is a HD release. without HD, there can be no real north american league. to add to this, HD needs to be a viable option. in addition to its added features/upgrades, it has to be functional (duh :P). HDs really going to need a good replay setup. its going to need some sort of working anticheat. and yes, as ive said all along (FS has been on board with this since switching engines)... it needs to be released on steam and appropriately promoted within the highly competitive fps world. these are musts on FSs part if HD is to become something special in the realm of top fps's.

and when it comes to creating a league... its not about just having a league in north america, its about having a league to proud about, a reliable, functional league to represent our community in a game we all love. there are so many ppl out there that have no idea about urt, so many competitive players i feel would just love a great urt HD release if it comes, and to have that league in place for those competitive players to be be able to slide into... it just has to already be there to happen. getting populated may not happen overnight. but if FS does there part, the north american community has to do theirs.

--

tldr: im down.

Sorry for the slight delay - I was on vacation and travelling about in lands that no computer nerd should go to. As for your questions:

1) I will definitely do what I can to help get everything set up, and I'll be available to fix anything on the site that needs fixing. Once we get it going, I think I'm comfortable in saying I won't be involved in day to day stuff though - although in theory, assuming everything is working more or less there shouldn't be THAT much day to day work.

2) Yes, and I welcome it. Our original goal for FTWGL is that it would be a community driven league that could respond to the needs of the community. FTWGL the league proper is officially an open source project. Make a pull request, and I'll try to get it in there.Right now I'm largely trying to improve the UI, which was pretty sparse (and I wasn't very good at it). My next feature is uploading screenshots and team images. https://github.com/x3igh7/ftwgl

3) I own all the ftwgl.com stuff, so that's not a problem. I'm building a couple other enhancement projects related to FTWGL so the platform will be around for a while.

In general, it seems like there is some enthusiasm for trying to get something off of the ground, which is exciting. UrT was my first love in terms of gaming, so I'd love to be able to give back to the community.

This post has been edited by X3igh7: 16 June 2015 - 04:37 PM

x8` - FTWGL Head Admin
www.ftwgl.com

#8 User is offline   h3zbollah Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: h3zbollah

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:14 PM

great news, x8

if the South Americans teams are allowed, -h5 will return to activities :P

PS: we're back, we'll play UrTLA Season 7 ;)

#9 User is offline   Furiazteca Icon

• Account: furiazteca

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:30 AM

Bring in it back equis8! Let me know if I can help you with any administrative stuff or something.
I'm glad to see you are doing well btw! :D

#10 User is offline   Skadude Icon

• Account: skadude

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:19 AM

If you do bring it back, Can you/we please not go overboard on the political correctness? STA was great because the smack talk wasn't completely shut down (what's more fun then shutting some one up in game who has been running their mouth on the forums?)

Also on top of that can you please not add hundreds of rules. Just keep it simple. the pages and pages of rules were soul destroying.

I've noticed a mini increase of active players in CTF. And quite a few aliased old guys about. I bet a few could be dragged out of retirement.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942