Urban Terror Forums: I made Turnpike back in the day, interested in converting to UE4 - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I made Turnpike back in the day, interested in converting to UE4

#21 User is offline   Dark-knight Icon

• Account: darkknight

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:14 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 24 September 2015 - 12:19 AM, said:

Right poor word use on my part.

Turnpike was contributed to the Urban Terror project just as everything in it was added as part of the whole. FS responsibility is to respect the works of others who have contributed over the years and since the original mapmaker was nice enough to more or less put the design and layout into the creative commons then that obligation, requirement, has been fulfilled. Same rules apply to FS as to the no modification to the main asset package with out permission and we only do so if something has become broken.

Hope I'm not making things even more confusing but a 1-1 conversion is not as easy as it sounds if part of the objective is to maintain continuity of the original art work but just like 2Fort4 or Facing Worlds I would assume that a Turnpike would one day show up in HD.

I think this needs to be said, to possibly avoid future confusion. I will try to explain something.
A person creates a map.
The Developers like that map.
The Developers ask the content creator if they can make it an official default game map.
If the creator says YES, then that means that they (the content creator), have now given their map (intellectual work), to the Developers to officially put into the game, which is owned by Frozen Sand, LLC. Meaning that Frozen Sand now owns the map and its assets (intellectual work).

Weather or not this was intended by the Dev team, this is what has happened.
Urban Terrorâ„¢ and its assets are owned by Frozen Sand, LLC. When the creator of a 3rd party map gives the Developers permission to include it as an official map with the games release; it becomes the Property of Frozen Sand.
Correct me if I'm wrong...

But I also understand where you are coming from with the desire to respect the map creators.

This post has been edited by Dark-knight: 24 September 2015 - 04:20 AM

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

there are no flaws in Urban Terror, only features.

#24 User is offline   killspree Icon

• Account: killspree
  • Main tag: ds`

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:13 AM

Thinking like that is holding you guy's way back.

How you know people think like that urt hd is not even out yet i rather see a minimal change in the shadow than a desert based tp.

I'm not mapping one map for hd until it actually comes out because it already been ages ago when it should come out, but if I was remaking a map for hd I would go with close as it gets Who cares hat everybody think? Do it for yourself.

Greetings,

(forgot more about radiant than most know)

Posted Image
Right now this still valid making tp in hd will be amazing for sure the community still backing up fs.

I'm all for wu making tp himself again if he want's for hd.

This post has been edited by killspree: 30 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:38 AM

Actually frankie im making a game that is going to come out on steam xbox and ps4.

Not Alone but being actually part of the dev team.

But i mean by that is i like to be able to test the map i make otherwise im just spitballing.

This post has been edited by killspree: 01 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

#27 User is offline   tintir Icon

• Account: tintir
  • Main tag: MsT*|

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:01 PM

The shootergame template is close. If you know C++ you could tweak the jumping and movement etc., or you can wait for FS to release the mapping package.

For now the jumping part of HD maps are hard (atleast for custom mappers), but a conversion still need alot of work. I hardly believe you know what you need to do, while I'm rebuilding my hole map, which takes alot of time. I don't need the movements just yet.

On topic. Turnpike would be great to see in HD as a conversion, but I like the Nevada idea. Wu could return and convert turnpike if he wanted to, but as turnpike is a very popular map, and Nevada is FS's best bet, then they should go with it.
Unless Wu gives everything needed for the conversion :)

#29 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:16 PM

HI Tinter your right I played around with animation and bleuprints but the jumping look weird unless you tweak the source code that is not my thing at all I like animations but more i like just mapping making nice stuff but mostly I learn what I know to others in the clan or who wants to learn.

It I just my preference to wait a bit with mapping until fs gives us something to work with, i'm sure it's on its way until then learning unreal 4 is nice to do and if your thinking about mapping in unreal 4 your bet bet is using a modeling program like blender or 3dsmax.
Working with bsp brushes is not very nice in the editor I get a lot of crashes and importing static meshes works a lot better so i'm glad I learned that if you know that than importing your ut4 map into unreal engine 4 is pretty straight forward but still time consuming mostly getting nice uv's/textures.
About "Nevada" you guy's started before wu said hi again here on the forum so i'm sure he feel honored I would at least.

Getting the old maps into the new engine is cool but making new maps will be cooler perhaps because we get more bang for the buck we should at least get more than 10x more triangles in frame without to much fps drops so about 400.000 and you should still be able to fly around the level at full speed.
Even if this amount of detail in a level is not needed especially if you want a level that has a nice game pace for ctf or ts It is still amazing and next gen.
I actually build a part of my home town including my house using google maps and build an area about 2 square kilometers this is probably to big for ts but ctf or tdm will benefit with a bigger map.
The blue guy that comes standard in unreal 4 walk in about 3 min from one side of the map to the other but the ut4 guy moves with about 70 km/h if your jumping very fast so this is also why i'm waiting so I know what will be good and what not.

(House first second and third floor approximate height in game 7,5 meters)

Posted Image

Posted Image

This shows the triangle count in my scene.

Posted Image

But it only shows the count for static meshes i build a road system and some houses but most are bsp brushes i used for prototyping over 1000 box brushes.

I don't know how many or if any is culled out automatically.
This is already more than is recommended in the current urt.
compile time = 10 min.

This post has been edited by killspree: 01 October 2015 - 11:16 PM

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942