Urban Terror Forums: I made Turnpike back in the day, interested in converting to UE4 - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I made Turnpike back in the day, interested in converting to UE4

#43 User is offline   killspree Icon

• Account: killspree
  • Main tag: ds`

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:37 AM

Hi Bladekiller,

Yes I mean also that not only because the limitations in quake3.

For me the unrealistic movement and even gunshots make the game I like to slide at full speed scoped and then make a kill that have everybody say luck.

I just hope You guy's do a little bit extra effort on making the complete package work well so that we can have lower tris maps if we want just so that the fps will stay high if we feel we need that. so for instance don't make nade explosions that is going to slow the whole game down.
Also the characters I know 56k tris characters is easily done in unreal but you have to consider the fact if you multiply this by 32 players than add the gun tris count and add the impact of explosions, smoke and stuff like that it's going to limit the possibilities for lower spec systems to keep up.
Right now i'm playing urban terror on servers with 20 players at 40 fps but i can play a game like advanced warfare at high settings with 80 fps.
In that game you can clearly see high poly models for cutscenes but low poly with baked on detail for actual in game.
This way you can have bigger maps more "playroom" before the map is going to impact the game fps instead of the game itself where we have no control over.
And i know also the coding for a.i is little bit tricky but very much possible in unreal to make it more realistic.
I would love to see bots taking cover or running and using more weapons as standard.
The community backs you up FS but you have to let us offcourse!
Easy to give something physics in unreal 4.

It will be cool to have movable guns nades in game you can prevent your enemy from picking up a gun when he is empty or shooting a nade out off the air.
Idk If it should come as standart in the game but more as a mod perhaps depending on the freedom we will get from FS,

Greetings,

This post has been edited by killspree: 07 October 2015 - 06:37 PM

#45 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:25 PM

View PostBladeKiller, on 07 October 2015 - 07:41 PM, said:

Stop comparing the Unreal 4 engine to Quake III Arena's engine. They are very different animals. Q3 used your CPU for a lot more stuff and that was not something we could change. Ledgeclimbing in Q3 takes a lot of CPU cycles which is one of the reasons we recommend only 16 players max on a server.

There are many ways you can optimize performance in UE4 like instancing so you can have 100 barrels in a map and only pay for one. You can make LOD's for every map object which includes all of your map if it is a mesh. In Q3 only the player models have LOD's. In UE4 even the terrain auto-reduces the level of detail as you run around it. Do a little research on LOD's and instancing in UE4 and start optimizing your maps. Think modularly. Make one window and then make instances of that window for everywhere else that will be used in the map.

We are not going to make this game in UE4 with the lowest resolution possible. That is not in our plans. I have no intention of doing this work and having it look like it does in Q3. I am sick to death of it always looking like crap in that engine. I am not doing stick figures and lego block maps. If that's what you want stick with Q3.

Can I make a instance of a static mesh or do you mean a copy?

No you completely not getting my drift I'm not referring to the look or blockiness just making a example out of the area's where quake 3 can not be improved and unreal can like what you say and explain, I don't think hd urt should look exactly the same in the texture area or how you build your maps characters or animations that is a more artistic aspect but It should definitely be the same in what is possible and what not.

The area's where thing's can be improved where in quake3 it was not possible like what you explain about ledge climbing and stuff or for example the impact on the cpu for bots That is where the focus needs to be the system requirements are already higher for hd than quake 3 because you need a 64bit system but the fps in a map like tp if you did a conversion that does not impact the fps much like the original map in quake3 than you should get better fps if you where playing with a minimal recruited system for unreal 4 so a quadcore about 2,5 gb and a gtx240 because that is actually about the minimum needed today to play decent on a full 32 slot server on urt 4.x.
Currently on that version if you where to make a simple box room in radiant with absolutely nothing in it besides the walls and spawn some bots in it lets say 8 on my system I still reach about 40 fps playable but not great.
Putting how unreal 4 is going to look aside if you where to do the same in unreal hopefully we are not going too be let down.

I'm not making comparisons without reason it's just positive criticism hoping to inspire and letting you know how the community thinks.

Greetings,

This post has been edited by killspree: 07 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#47 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:50 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 07 October 2015 - 10:24 PM, said:

The long way around I guess to say build it first and make it preform (optimize) second based on what profiling tells you as to what you can not afford.

Let's wait until a playable version comes out i'm sure it will be great how long you going to keep us waiting I just can't wait anymore sry if you think i'm being negative like frankie say's we only want to encourage you guy's and inspire you giving our 2 cent's should not be held against us because we mean it well.

Greetings,

#49 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

View PostZenity, on 09 October 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

You really can't compare Quake 3 and UE4 performance in a straightforward manner.

Think about it like this: Doom didn't just look worse than Quake because the designers chose to use less detail. It looked worse because the engine enforced some very severe (and clever) limitations to ensure that the game would run well on the hardware of the time. Quake lifted those limitations and focused on newer hardware, which raised the minimum requirements. Now it wouldn't make sense any more to make a level as simple as a Doom level, because any hardware capable of running Quake well in general, could easily deal with a much higher detail level without breaking a sweat.

It's the same with UE4 and Quake 3. Minimum requirements are higher, and this is true even for simple box levels, which Quake 3 is optimised for. There is no point in comparing detail level to Quake 3 maps, when any hardware fast enough to run UE4 well could easily handle a lot more without it making any noticeable difference.

It doesn't take that much to run UE4 well, and anyone with a semi-recent desktop PC should have no problem. If it's not a gaming PC at all, then a simple GTX 750ti upgrade will fit almost any box and instantly turn it into a next-gen gaming PC for roughly 100 pounds.

Old laptops in particular can be more problematic of course, but here you have to be reasonable with expectations. Most of them are not made for 3D gaming and especially not fluid competitive gaming, so if anything it will serve you well in this regard for a few years. Quake 3 came out 15 years ago, in computing terms that is ancient history.

Hi Zenity,

Thanks for the reply very use full I have been learning more about level streaming lod's instances and the overall performance benchmark for unreal 4.

I have not found any benchmark at all comparing the performance you will get in unreal 4.
It is limited to your hardware.
Therefore I have these questions basically split up into two sections.
The part that will be hard coded by fs so the game itself without considering the performance impact of the map.

Characters

Weapons

In game effects / hardware settings

Will these things get changeable lod's that we can manually set higher and lower if you want to be able to play the game on the minimal lod setting for each mesh so the things listed above?

3rd party maps / engine mods

Will these things include the ability to have custom weapons / characters or vehicles in it?

Greetigns,

This post has been edited by killspree: 09 October 2015 - 05:45 PM

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942