• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RC] UrT 4.3 Release Candidate 2

#31 User is offline   bluewormx Icon

• Account: bluewormx

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:06 PM

Great initiative Frozen sand. BRAVO!
The release candidate seems pretty solid to me. No crazy show stoppers, except the gun game frame drops. Have not tested yet.

All I could find were weapons balance issues.

Thank you for such an AWSOME suprise! Instagib is so much fun, the TAD .50 is like my long lost BFG from quake3!!! :biggrin:

#32 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

We will still be looking into balancing the Magnum and some of the new weapons.

#33 User is offline   Killerkarla Icon

• Account: killerkarla
  • Main tag: rush.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:53 PM

Hi there,

I am a bit confused, why the jump to version 4.3 ?

- in 4.2.006 the Jump Mode has been added
- in 4.2.019 the FreezeTag Mode has been added
- in 4.2.021 the menu and font has been updated
- during all 4.2 releases many fixes and several c_vars have been added

And now we get GunGame and 3 new weapons, some changes in menu and console. Not really consistent compared to all previous 4.2 releases, or?

Anyway, I started playing Urban Terror with version 4.0 in 2007.
So I am used to the "old" join menu and weapon selector menu.
Actually my personal impression of the new designed menu in 4.3 is, that they are too complicated.
Joining a game is not intuitive.
Selecting a weapon is so complicated and takes a long time. Who would press "Close" button to "Apply" the weapon change??
During a match it is taking a long time to change weapon/item, best is a script in this case.

What I personally like in 4.3:
%

What I personally do not like in 4.3:
- join menu (not intuitive as in 4.0/4.1/4.2) and who will press ESC to finally play the game
- weapon select menu (reason see above)
- animation of Magnum: bit too much visible recoil
- recoil of FN P90 maybe too much
- reload of FN P90 too long
- sound of FN P90 (not loud enough) (I am using dmaHD)
- reload of Benelli M4 is too fast (same for animiation) compared to the SPAS12 it will take only half of the time
- sound of Benelli M4 (not loud enough)
- sound of FRF1 (not loud enough)

File size was not really reduced as promised before. So all obsolete or unused textures are not removed.

Has the new version a positiv impact for me?
Not really... Sorry guys, I is not my intention to criticize your work but this version does not provide any new feature which will motivate me to play 4.3.

Most of my points are already added to the issue tracker, therefor I just posted them here...

BR
Killerkarla
Spunky Bot - An automated game server administration bot - check http://spunkybot.de

#34 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:07 AM

@Killerkarla : the 4.3 name change is not only based on a potential game development jump, but also on a philosophical way of seing UrT on quake3. With the realease of 4.3 we're putting a break with the way we were developing the game with 4.2. After the 4.3 release, it is probable that there will be no updates at all, or maybe very few ones spaced by a year or half a year's time. Moreover, we have realeased that RC3 beta to get faster and a larger amount of feedback on our work concerning 4.3. It doesn't mean we have fully finished developing that version or that you have to take it as the final version.

View PostKillerkarla, on 20 September 2015 - 11:53 PM, said:

File size was not really reduced as promised before. So all obsolete or unused textures are not removed.

As an example, that will be done on 4.3 release, probably even already in the pre-release candidate RC3.

#35 User is offline   LinCeX Icon

• Account: lincex

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:10 AM

too bad game is dead. looks like another 4.2 release with some additions to a 1999 years old game lol.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 User is offline   nheocortes Icon

• Account: nheocortes

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

Hi all,

I'm a middle but regular player for around 3 years now...

First, thanks to dev team as they take their free time to dev this game i've played dozen and dozen hours...

I agree with some complaints, but i keep in mind it's a free game that is unique, as a Xonotic or other Quake derivated games can be, so i don't compare to professional games like CS, CoD or Battlefield, following the "Fun over realism" philosophy, as i do when i play vintage games on my old NES...

For sure, 4.3 isn't (yet ?) a revolution, but as mentioned, it's a transitional version used to collect feedback and so, managing the future, this is the way i understand this realase so i like the way to interrogate the Community, i remember many complaints from those who said FS always making things from his own side...

This si so the occasion to give feedback to help a bit, after so hours ingame, isn't it the minimum we can do ?

Now, as mentioned, i agree with some issues, especialy the gear selector that appear realy a regress, in terms of gameplay, as it is indeed more complicated and a waste of time to use than the previous selector and i join the comment who talk to use scripts with the new one...

Else, except some game freeze in instagib mode and the sound that sucks in the player config page, at my own level, i can't be so detailled as killerkarla to compare weapons as he's done...

One more time, thanks for the game and the consultation...

This post has been edited by nheocortes: 21 September 2015 - 08:35 PM

#37 User is offline   Killerkarla Icon

• Account: killerkarla
  • Main tag: rush.

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:57 PM

View PostBiddle, on 21 September 2015 - 12:07 AM, said:

@Killerkarla : the 4.3 name change is not only based on a potential game development jump, but also on a philosophical way of seing UrT on quake3.

Hi Biddle,

thanks for your feedback.

Maybe I was confused about the naming convention...
According to the software development life cycle, a "Release Candidate" is a beta version with potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. So all features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known showstopper issues.

Reflecting all comments here, the 4.3 is a open beta, and the development is not yet finished, right?

View PostBiddle, on 21 September 2015 - 12:07 AM, said:

As an example, that will be done on 4.3 release, probably even already in the pre-release candidate RC3.

However, you should consider the following circumstances:

- version 4.3 has to support GTV
--> I guess the final version 4.3 will still be using protocol 68 (same as 4.0/4.1/4.2) to support GTV
- master server port of 4.0/4.1 is/was 27950
- master server port of 4.2 has been changed to 27900 to block incompatible server from 4.1
- master server port of 4.3 "beta" is still 27900 --> will be in conflict with 4.2
--> switch again to an additional master server to support 4.2 and 4.3 ?? who remembers all the forum posts when master server for 4.1 has been taken offline? deathmask and quake3arena master server have to support additional port for urt 4.3
- qkey changed for version 4.3? all player will loose again their beloved xlrstats on public server?
- who from the point of view of frozen sand are the main "customers" of urban terror? the 100 players playing in more and more dying leagues or the 100 players playing on the same 10 servers the same 5 maps?
--> there are 3 LMS and 3 FreezeTag servers out today, so these modes are equal to the unpopular modes CTH and FTL

Just my 2 cents...

BR Killerkarla
Spunky Bot - An automated game server administration bot - check http://spunkybot.de

#38 User is offline   Senpo Icon

• Account: senpo

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

1.p90 model is too big even with using 95fov and small guns
2. the FR-1 animation play speed is too fast,not sure we need a interim between the sr8 and psg maybe it would make sense with a 2x/4x scope, can't really see a use for it right now
3. the benelli acts like its firing slugs very hard to hit with doesn't do enough damage when it does hit
4. getting some packet throttling at 125pps/60 snaps and cl_packetdup 1 likely because we are going over the 32K limit need to raise the limit to provide some breathing room for higher cl_packetdup levels
5. snaps doesn't seem to be set to 60 by default which if its going todo any good it needs to
I must stress here that if he new tick-rates are going todo any good then HIGHER Defaults for all related cvars are necessary
most players don't ever bother to configure there settings also are missing GUI options

This post has been edited by Senpo: 22 September 2015 - 06:19 PM

#40 User is offline   Senpo Icon

• Account: senpo

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:21 PM

after a semi-decent match with real people
the P90 is flat unusable the screen bob/roll is migraine inducing,also the 3P/Vwep animation is completely broke and shows the weapon clipping though your arms and being held way to far forward
the magnum is in the same boat to much recoil and animation issues the gun basically flies off screen every time its fired,which is unrealistic even by urt-arcade standards
personally I HATE the New Loadout menu its a pain to navigate quickly,it seems to focus on being pretty over being useable
I should't need to click though two sub menus to set a weapon the weapon list and the associated equip box should be on the same level

This post has been edited by Senpo: 22 September 2015 - 10:23 PM

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942