Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

too many zpaks Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sudoking Icon

• Account: sudoking

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:58 PM

I realize that the UrTUpdater is meant to make updating the game much easier, but the process of simply downloading new files is making the game too bloated. There has to be a better way of checking for updates so that only one or two pack files need to be maintained. Every time the version is updated, simply replace the existing zpaks.

Any plans to change the current system?

#2 User is offline   Fenix Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: fenix

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:54 PM

Considering the fact that zpaks are just ZIP archives imho it would be worth not to use them at all.

#5 User is offline   Sudoking Icon

• Account: sudoking

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:09 AM

Just thinking -- maybe the initial download could contain only the latest necessary packs, instead of the files for every single version of 4.2. QVM changes would be the easiest to download quickly, so they can be stored in a single file. I could see it being a hassle and require more development for textures/maps/sounds/models though.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:15 AM

Part of the development of 4.3 is to clean up all those zpak files and condense them down into just a few files. Future updates after 4.3 will probably require additional zpak files but will be kept to a minimum as 4.3 is probably going to be the last release of Urban Terror 4.x unless some major bug is discovered within the first few months after its release.

Now I'm no real programmer (I do web dev) so I'm not familiar with the complexities of creating an updater application, but it seems like it should be fairly simple to simply have a z_update.zpak that stores any updates and any new files overwrite old files within the zpak and instead of requiring a new .zpak for every update, you simply unzip the zpak, overwrite the changed files and folders and add any new ones, and then zip it back up. I can see why simply making more .zpak files is easier, but merging changes within the appropriate zpak is definitely cleaner.

#8 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:23 AM

You know what's worse than too many zpaks?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942