• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Map (conversion) contest

#1 User is offline   killspree Icon

• Account: killspree
  • Main tag: ds`

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:33 PM

Is it a good idea to have a map (conversion) contest?

To spruce up map making for hd and make sure there are enough maps upon release?

FS can decide the winners, prize your map will be in the default map pack.
(FS members are not allowed to enter they already making maps for hd)
Proof of concept:
Posted Image
noesis convert bsp to obj etc...
http://richwhitehous...=noesisv417.zip

Greeetszzzzz.

This post has been edited by killspree: 08 November 2015 - 09:37 AM

#3 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:01 AM

Yes the actual specifics of such a contest need to be looked at, the basic idea and goal is to get more people enthusiastic about mapping for Urt HD!

(the conversion part might not be the best idea because of the rights on the maps)

This post has been edited by killspree: 21 November 2015 - 12:42 AM

#5 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:06 AM

Ok, I love the Idea of a competition.... However... I still want some sort of alpha release of the basic engine available to me, with the physics mostly worked out before I go making a map. I specifically want to be able to test jump distances and basic collision before putting tons of work into a map. Jump distances are very hard to change in a map when everything is all connected, and the only real way to test a map for things like that is to playtest it, which requires some basic version of the engine.

To be clear, this little mappers alpha doesn't need completed skins, animations, gun models, or anything fancy, I just want the character base mesh with collisions and the basic physics so that I can test the circle jump distance of two platforms.

Also, as an Icy mapper, I am especially worried how icy ramps and loops will work in the new engine. There was some really strange (and genius) tricks that Rambetter had to develop for GTK radiant to make the icy ramps work smoothly in 4.x, and I am eager to test and learn and figure out what needs to be done to translate that to HD. But again that requires some playtestable version of the engine.

This post has been edited by KroniK: 25 November 2015 - 06:07 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:40 PM

View PostKroniK, on 25 November 2015 - 06:06 AM, said:

Ok, I love the Idea of a competition.... However... I still want some sort of alpha release of the basic engine available to me, with the physics mostly worked out before I go making a map. I specifically want to be able to test jump distances and basic collision before putting tons of work into a map. Jump distances are very hard to change in a map when everything is all connected, and the only real way to test a map for things like that is to playtest it, which requires some basic version of the engine.

To be clear, this little mappers alpha doesn't need completed skins, animations, gun models, or anything fancy, I just want the character base mesh with collisions and the basic physics so that I can test the circle jump distance of two platforms.

This is exactly why i'm not mapping yet as well :)
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#7 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

Yeah guy's me also.

The idea of mapping in radiant and converting it for ue4 is a possibility when your working on something you have full rights over like your own maps.

Perhaps we are going to wait for a pre alpha release, that might also be the best way to work out bugs.

Also it will speed up the process of getting to a actual alpha stage.
High trees catch a lot of wind yes! you gotta stand tough in your shoes for sure.
The community is going to give so much feedback when a pre release comes out we all are ready and willing to back up FS.

Greetsz,

#9 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:47 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 27 November 2015 - 09:59 PM, said:

Totally understandable that if someone want's to make a UrT based map they would want the mechanics and getting some kind of alpha out is a priority.

In Unreal 4 this is already a problem solved by the use of physics materials. Physics materials are not true texture materials but an extension available to all materials that can be used to change the surface behavior. Since it is an extension a material can be applied as an instanced copy and the material applied with different physics variables and can be used as a landscape material. As an all in one solution A physics material also covers other needs like ladders, ropes, zip lines or even wall climbing.

The problem I was referring to was not one of applying a physics material or making things icy, but one of geometry. In 4.x, making a quarter pipe which a player can launch off of and land back into is a tricky thing. If you simply create a series of brushes in the shape of a quarter pipe, the player doesn't land smoothly. Instead the player gets stuck where two brushes meet. I could go in much more depth of exactly where and when this issue shows up, but needless to say, it is a very big problem in 4.x.

Rambetter found a brilliant solution that was essentially adding a shingling system to the ramps, so that the player never actually encountered a place where two brushes joined perfectly. There are even more issues when you get into making loops, and bowls and other strange geometric shapes.

I am extremely interested to see if any of these issues are a problem in UE4 and if some solution will need to be developed for fixing any geometry issues that are encountered using the UE4 engine.

This post has been edited by KroniK: 30 November 2015 - 02:48 AM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942