• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Year's Development Update

#21 User is offline   rYuuJiN Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: ryuujin

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

The blue-grey color on the map really gives that old Urban Terror feel. Reminds me of ut_ricochet, ut_uptown and ut4_turnpike itself. A dark contrast versus lampposts. A certain ambiance that makes the game unique and loved. Impressive work on the office details, the inside of a building actually looks more than just a giant storage place like in 4.2. The garage door button is nicely made. Opening doors or pressing buttons is something that was missed out on the populair 4.x maps, hope to see more of that. The trees, boxes and forklifttruck look well detailed.
The size of the map looks just right for team survivor. A bit small to medium size, forcing the players to make a fast decision when spawning or else they can be suprised by a fast rush or grenade. Maps should force players to make a fast decision, defending a certain spot and holding it, or push out / suprise opponent with a rush. Having a smaller map also makes the grenades more valuable and hopefully more populair than in 4.2.

Movement of the player seems slower. The increased speed of strafe jumping and introducement of the powerslide in 4.x made the game fast, real fast. Fast movement is fun if you like to frag around with an automatic gun but it ruined the gameplay for snipers and tactical shooters/naders. I'm glad to see a slower movement in the video because it gives me the hope that the sr8 will be more effective and used again on most maps. In competitive gameplay the sr8 had dissapeard on Turnpike.. and sadly even on most Casa games. The fast movement also made it easier to evade grenades. Last but not least, fast movement made it dangerous to medic up a player, after being hit down to low-medium health, the time that the opponent followed up with a strafe/powerslide was too short. Medicing became a very risky play on 4.2, but a teamplay element like this should be promoted.
Powerslide is a cool tool, but it also makes strafejumping and timing less important. Before the introduction of powerslide it was a sport for most players to maximize their strafe and work on the timing to go around corners or trough hallways/doors with a jump. In the current 4.2 every jump mistake or last bit of stamina is saved by a simple powerslide, hold down crouch and slip off you go! On the video the powerslide seems shorter and by that, a better balanced tool for Urban Terror. Powerslide should be used as a fast trick to slide up a box or go up the stairs. I hope you realize that slowering the movement gives the game more variaty in gameplay and balances out the current items and weapons. When I see this video of Urt HD, I see an end of the 4.x era where helmet-kevlar-laser dominated the game, jump and spray. This video shows a return of the good old grenades, snipers and tactical shooters.

Keep it Urban Terror.. I think the game lost most of her charmes over the 4.x versions. I have a feeling that UrtHD will be more balanced in movement, aim-spray and strategies.
a thing of beauty is a joy

#23 User is offline   rYuuJiN Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: ryuujin

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:32 PM

Not my first choice of balancing the game out, but I do like to hear that you guys are aware of the current imbalanced meta: helmet/kevlar/helmet/laser/automatic. Removing the SR8 move penalty and boosting medkit might do the trick and hopefully indeed balance the movement, aim-spray, items, weapons and strategies.

As a suggestion, I hope Frozen Sand will consider the following questions regarding UrtHD:
  • Is it worth picking up a SR8?
  • Are grenades valuable compared to other items?
  • What is the efficiency of aiming on the helmet compared to the chest?
  • Is it worth medicing an ally in most situations?
  • What is the intent of powerslide? (To go far distances like a strafejump or short leap like in Quake4?)
  • What is the value of sound in the game? What is the profit of hearing an opponent sneaking upon you?
  • Does the strafespeed add up with the map size?

many love <3
a thing of beauty is a joy

#25 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:24 AM

rYuuJiN,

I think you have some very valid points. However, in regards to attempting to slow down the game, there ends up being a major conflict with a very large group of players - the jumpers. The jumping community was one of the larger communities here on UrT and I would hate to see that go. While slowing down the movement and possibly nerfing the powerslide might provide some distinct power balance improvements in some areas of competitive play, it would completely destroy the jumping community. The one thing that the jumping community relies on is that the physics and code behind how the player moves and crouch slides is never ever touched by the devs. Otherwise 80% of all the maps which were made are no longer relevant with the new physics.

I am all for tweaking the new physics slightly and allowing for some new stuff when it comes to movement. However I would urge the devs to think carefully (and I know they do) about how a simple physics tweak could invalidate hundreds of hours that people put into making custom jump maps.

It is a given that new features and new changes will come to the physics, and that there will be times when the devs will probably decide that it is worth making that change. However it is not a change that can be made lightly, as even the smallest tweaks can break tons of existing work.

This post has been edited by KroniK: 23 January 2016 - 03:25 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#30 User is offline   TehReaper Icon

• Account: tehreaper

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:17 AM

Things are looking very promising! Turnpike looks mostly awesome too but please please please don't make it so dark. Turnpike is one of the best maps in the game IMO, and a map that is geared towards strong gunners. Taking that map and making it so dark completely kills the beauty of it though. The last thing you want in a FPS, especially on a map that's really meant for gunning, is to make it dark and hard to see things.

This post has been edited by TehReaper: 25 January 2016 - 01:18 AM

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942