Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Game Mode Idea [Flag Push]

#1 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

Just had an interesting Idea for a game mode considering the new movement possibilities.

Here is the outline for a Game Mode I am calling "Flag Push"

• Best as a 5v5 but could be as small as a 3v3 (definitely not more than 5v5 though)
  • Each team spawns on opposite sides of the map within a team base
  • Wave respawn is enabled, probably around 6-8 seconds depending on the map.
  • In the middle of the map (in the open, maybe on a pillar) is a flag
  • A team wins a round when they get the flag in the OTHER team's base.
  • New round is started after every flag capture or time runs out (tie).
  • Max time limit of around 2-3 minutes per round.
  • Teams swap sides every 3 rounds (not necessary but would be a nice map balancing feature)
  • First team to win 4 rounds wins the game
  • Flag carrier can hold and shoot a pistol (if one was equipped at spawn)
  • Flag carrier has kevlar movement penalty (doubled if already wearing kevlar)
  • If flag is dropped it stays in that location until it is either picked up or the game time runs out
  • Maps should be fairly long and narrow with 3-4 lanes. Lots of verticality if possible. High walls and barriers to vault etc.

I think this game mode would REALLY fit with Urban Terror and the new movement physics. This would encourage a very fast paced game, and since the object is to get the flag to the opponent's base, it introduces a high degree of difficulty and requires team tactics if you want to win. Also, since pushing the flag is the only way to win, it would discourage camping and force engagements around the flag.

I kinda sorta based this concept on the Halo 5 Breakout Game Mode. Breakout has almost paintball style maps that would be a lot of fun with the new physics stuff. The wave respawn should be set such that in most cases a team will respawn before the opposing team is able to capture the flag, however long enough that the capping team has a chance to take the spawning team off guard if possible.

Here is an example of a couple of the Halo 5 Breakout maps:
Breakout Map 1
Breakout Map 2
Breakout Map 3

I would guess that we would want to make the UrT maps about twice as big to provide for all the extra movement speed and the much faster pace of the game, however they should be kept fairly open with 3-4 lanes available for pushing. But there should be lots of obstacles that can be easily used for cover, or for speed boosts through vaulting.

Anyway, I think this type of game mode could be AMAZINGLY fun with all the speed you could get as you rush to the flag, as well as attempting to rush the flag to the enemy base. Or to rush after respawn to get to where the flag was left and stop the enemy team.

This could become THE competitive mode IMO, but that's just my ego probably.

This post has been edited by KroniK: 26 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

#2 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:06 PM

Yes please!
I loved Bombing Run in Unreal Tournament 2k4!! (That is basically the same mode. )

I believe this can be truly epic for UrTHD <3

Posted Image

This post has been edited by JustMe...: 26 January 2016 - 04:09 PM

Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#3 User is offline   BurakQuaresma Icon

• Account: burakquaresma

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

+1

#4 User is offline   Nounou Icon

•   former FS member   
    Concept Artist
  • Account: nounou

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

Like Justme said, it makes me think of "Bombing Run" & many other mods/games.

"Flag carrier has kevlar movement penalty (doubled if already wearing kevlar)" - I kind of wrote that at some point too, except a ball was replacing the flag.

Now I have to talk about a basic mode for UrtHD imagined years ago that was firstly inspired by a Quake 3's mod named "Proball", and UT's mode named "Bombing Run". I've then discovered many many ball games related to both of these mod(e)s. From Quake 2's mod named "Powerball" to "Rocket League".

What I can tell is that Urt's remake is obviously the priority for FS, also that I'm not a programmer or this would already exists. I'm not involved in Urt's development since more than a year now, but I came back to this gamedesign months ago and developped it a lot lot more to maybe eventually make it happen in Urt. Because yes, I also think like you Kronik that Urt is the perfect fit for that kind of gamedesign.

So while it is way more different today than your gamedesign, it has I think the spirit of it. And a few mates are interested about it as well, but it is - and that is normal - at the bottom of the todo list.

#5 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

While I think logically, a ball or a bomb of some sort would make more sense, I think visually and in practice, a flag would be better suited to this game mode and UrT. It would be more visible than a bomb, and would be more realistic than some ball like in UT. Plus I like the Idea of requiring the flag holder to hold the flag with one hand and therefore is only able to use pistols.

But that's just my personal preference.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#7 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

Zenity said:

Now hold your horses, if we were planning to change the maps completely I would go much more crazy with the movement. :) Making everything work within the current framework is the biggest challenge, and I don't see us change the style of fragmaps in a major way. The movement is likely going to be a tad faster with the new possibilities, but not by an order of magnitude. And a gamemode that requires its own style of map would have to be beyond all doubt to even be considered.

Hang on there Zen. I didn't say anything about needing to change the style of frag maps necessarily and definitely did not mean to imply that I wanted to replicate the stylistic choices of those Halo maps. Tohunga is an existing map which would work very well with this game mode due to its very clear 3 lane layout and minor verticality, and it might also work nicely with maps like Casa, Algiers, or Ambush. That said, I think maps like what I described above (longer than they are wide, 3-4 clear lanes, lots of verticality) would suit this game mode better than other types of maps. Also this style of map works great for Sr8 servers.

I would also like to point out that game modes like Bomb definitely require a map with its specific game mode in mind. Sure you can take an existing map and throw a bomb location and some spawn locations on it and call it a bomb map, but a GOOD bomb map will be very careful in how its layout is designed, and be optimized for that game mode. CTF is the same way. Currently we have some good CTF maps since that has been the prefered game mode, but Bomb and TS used to be popular and we had a couple great maps for each of those which were made with those game modes in mind.

Zenity said:

We can think about a one-flag mode of course within the framework of existing maps, but I think you may be overestimating a bit how much fun it really is. There's a lot that will be happening with game modes in any case, so we'll probably have some discussions about that soonish.

Sounds good.

I do want to say that this type of game mode could very much be a part of the lore if done right. I can see this game mode being primarily set in an Arena/Warehouse that is used as a training grounds for each faction, with the idea that this game mode is a competitive training game used by each faction, although its origins are probably more with the UTRT. The style of the obstacles and platforms and such would be of a more temporary nature, and therefore look pretty rough around the edges. I would imagine that the UTRT training arena would be outdoors with a lot of old concrete and sandbags making up the majority of the map materials. The resistance training would be in warehouses and would mainly be set up using old scaffolding and plywood structures, with some sandbags. It would actually be really neat if FS could do some of the heavy lifting and release a base map for each base location as well as a fairly limited material set that a map maker could use, and then allow the community to come up with cool layouts within the base arenas. At this point I'm dreaming and I know it, but I like to dream just the same.

I might just start building up a few layouts and making some building blocks in blender to flush out my idea.

This post has been edited by KroniK: 26 January 2016 - 09:46 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942