• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Server side plugins

#1 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

Hello everyone

So I have recently been setting up a game server for a different game that uses the source engine. One thing that is neat about that engine is that there is a cool addon for all source engine servers called "SourceMod" which allows you to install community made plugins that can do all sorts of different things, from displaying a webpage as a welcome screen when you join a server, to tracking user stats and scores and displaying them in the console etc. There are tons of little plugins that help a server admin add little customizations to their server so that they can give the experience they want to their players.

I am not sure if allowing server side plugins/mods is something that is done by FS or by UE4, however I know that this sort of thing would be extremely useful to have. Ultimately it would be best to be able to create a blueprint in UE4 that could be compiled and put in a folder on the server for the server to use. Obviously there would be things about the game that FS would not want these plugins to be able to touch, however the more open it is the more ability the community has for making the game play they way they want.

In the case of SourceMod, it allows a lot of extended features like the ability to add plugin specific CVARs to let server admins better control the plugin.

I'm not sure how far ahead the dev team has been thinking on things like this, but It seems like something that needs to be thought about and at least conceptually outlined from day 1, or some features just won't be available without large rewrites to the structure of the game code.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Please discuss

This post has been edited by KroniK: 16 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

#3 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:59 PM

Some of the mods that I really enjoy, for example, is an after death damage report. I have my Insurgency server setup so that when someone dies, in a nice neat little box on the left of their screen, it shows who attacked them, how much damage each attacker did, which attacker killed them, as well as a list of people they hit, how much damage they did to each player they hit, and whether or not they killed them. This is just a neat little stats display that I really enjoy having. Any client can turn it off by running a quick console command and the server remembers their preferences for the next time they join.

I have another plugin which displays a rotating announcement to the screen that displays my teamspeak information as well as my clan website. Also I have another plugin which gives a nice menu system for some admin commands as well as a more advanced admin system which sets up privilages per specified user so I can set up moderators who can kick but not ban.

All of these little things are small community made plugins that probably wouldn't exist in the default game because of one reason or another, but are neat and useful to me as a server admin, and it's those sorts of plugins that I would like to see be allowed to be made in UrTHD.

#5 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:46 AM

I guess, My thought was this: please build the server with some form of API in mind, so essentially just best coding practices so that you can add an API to do stuff if you want later down the road without having to go back and standardize variables or something :P

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#8 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:28 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 23 January 2016 - 02:58 AM, said:

Plugins like this for a server would be the sort of thing that someone could put on the marketplace. These things sound useful for more than just our game.

Absolutely. There is a huge modding community around the source engine. Many of those plugins work on any game server that uses the source engine. I would assume that something similar happens with UE4 games, but I haven't found any signs of that sort of community yet.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942