• You cannot reply to this topic

Movement Update

#1 User is offline   Zenity Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: zenity

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

Movement Update

Over the last few weeks I have been working on some movement related features.

TL/DR:

In my mind, Urban Terror movement is primarily defined by two words: "Quake" and "Parkour".

The Quake heritage is obvious, but what exactly does "Quake like movement" really mean? When boiled down to basics, what makes Quake movement special is that it's heavily physics driven. Quake never had any sort of fancy movement system. There's no dodging, no double jumps, nothing but WASD and a jump key. Yet the simple whacky physics create gameplay so complex, that Quake movement is considered the most skill based of all. In game design, this is called emergent behaviour and the result is the holy grail of "easy to learn, impossible to master". So when I add movements to Urban Terror, I try to keep this in mind and follow the same pattern. Movements which are easy to execute (no extra keys required) but are driven by physics so that advanced players can bend it in unforeseen ways.

"Parkour" is the perfect real world equivalent to our crazy ass movement, but it has always bothered me just a little that actual Parkour is in fact more agile and advanced than ours. Vaulting and Wall Running are two movements in particular that make perfect sense in a Parkour environment, but I also wanted to implement them in a way that doesn't feel scripted but heavily physics based to fit in with the Quake style. I am very happy how this turned out, and I think that both will become very natural additions to Urban Terror once players had a chance to get used to them.

I am also experimenting with additional legacy Quake physics (similar to Challenge Pro Mode), like ramp jumps and bunny hopping / air control. You can see both in the video, but notice that they are extremely toned down so they don't overpower the usual Urban Terror movement but instead create subtle additions to it. Bunny hopping in particular still needs a lot of testing and feedback so there is no telling if it will actually make it in the end. But ramp jumps are pretty subtle while still being a blast to execute, so I think that those will be fairly uncontroversial.

I appreciate the irony that Urban Terror on Unreal Engine could well become more Quake-like than it ever was on the actual Quake engine.

What About Jump Maps?

Of course we will try to maintain 99%+ accuracy for basic movement (this includes circle jumping, wall jumping, powersliding), but the reality is that most jump maps will have to be updated for HD either way due to minor differences in the engines which are not worth changing (we will only port the bugs which are actually fun :)). Furthermore we cannot stay stagnant if we want HD to be a true resurgence rather than just a monument to days long past, so jump maps will have to evolve along with us. Of course this is not an ideal situation (especially for high score tracking), but we will work with the jump community to make the process as smooth as possible. If you are working on a jump map, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!

That said, one reason I wanted to put a lot of work into movement early on is that hopefully we can get it to a point where we won't feel the need to make significant updates to the movement system for a long time to come.

What About Action Mode?

In a previous blog I hinted at the possibility of an alternate "action mode" that would increase the overall speed and drop all pretences of being tactical. However, after experimenting with this it just doesn't feel right, mainly because the existing maps are not suitable for it. In the end, I think that adding subtle amounts of pro mode style movements to stock Urban Terror is the better approach. Instead of an "action mode" however I could imagine to make infinite stamina a proper option for all game modes. Right now stamina is the one thing that reigns in all the crazy movements and maintains a tactical element to the game. So playing without stamina is very much like playing "action mode", just one that still feels like bona fide Urban Terror. I do think this option would be justified since sometimes we just feel like mindless fragging, whereas other times we may feel like deploying a slightly more deliberate approach.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this update and like I said in the disclaimer of the video:

DO NOT PANIC!

This is still early days, and if there's a time to make radical experiments, then it is now. :)

link link to original Blogs #47

#2 User is offline   e-junkie Icon

• Account: ejunkie

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:26 PM

i can say from experience that unlimited stamina can be very fun.

#3 User is offline   baex Icon

• Account: baex

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:53 PM

looks awesome! Hopefully qw movement will make it into the game. Wallruning looks fun too! allthough i can hear the whole 12 year old mlg gamers scream that you guys ripped it from titanfall. lel

Is there going to be an closed alpha soon? Im srsly waiting for this since i first heard of hd.

Keep going with the good work! And its good to see you guys are trying something else, to make it more fresh.

i love you.

View PostNounou, on 01 December 2012 - 12:33 AM, said:

Hey I love you baex, but also, consider that i'm drunk

#4 User is offline   SilverFoxZ Icon

• Account: silverfoxz

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

Looks very promosing, i especialy like the vaulting.

Some things i noted while watching:

The wall jumping is nice but i fear it may be a little too effective (?). Maybe make the stamina cost of doing so very high to begin with.

Also i am not sure about the Quake-style bunnyhopping, the UrT one is fine to me. Circle jumping is alot more fun i think. Dont fix what is not broken in my opinion!

That said it is very hard to judge the feel of the game just by looking at it. :P
I raise komodo dragons in my spare time

#5 User is offline   Zenity Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:23 PM

View PostbaeX, on 23 January 2016 - 09:53 PM, said:

looks awesome! Hopefully qw movement will make it into the game. Wallruning looks fun too! allthough i can hear the whole 12 year old mlg gamers scream that you guys ripped it from titanfall. lel

Is there going to be an closed alpha soon? Im srsly waiting for this since i first heard of hd.

Keep going with the good work! And its good to see you guys are trying something else, to make it more fresh.

i love you.

Thanks! Indeed, it's a shame that CoD and Titanfall suddenly realised that there is more to movement than the jump button, and now we look like copycats as absurd as that is. :) Our movement style is still very different though in that it's not scripted but heavily physics based. You don't just press a button and then walk in a straight line across the wall...

I don't know yet when and how we will share test builds, all I can say is that we plan to be very open about it. This means of course that you will be exposed to very early and buggy software, so please don't expect too much from it. :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Zenity Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

View PostSilverFoxZ, on 23 January 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

Looks very promosing, i especialy like the vaulting.

Some things i noted while watching:

The wall jumping is nice but i fear it may be a little too effective (?). Maybe make the stamina cost of doing so very high to begin with.

Also i am not sure about the Quake-style bunnyhopping, the UrT one is fine to me. Circle jumping is alot more fun i think. Dont fix what is not broken in my opinion!

That said it is very hard to judge the feel of the game just by looking at it. :P

I should point out that the bunnyhopping only takes effect when you strafe sideways in midair without accelerating, so it does not interfere at all with standard circle jumping. It's an alternative and the idea would be to balance it so that it's useful in a few situations where you need more control, while otherwise you would still use the circle jumps. Choosing the correct movement in each situation and mastering both would add a bit to the skill ceiling.

#7 User is offline   crazytheory Icon

• Account: crazytheory

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:30 PM

View PostSilverFoxZ, on 23 January 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

Yea, the bunnyhopping looked a bit awkward to me. I'd prefer the old one tbh.

#8 User is offline   SilverFoxZ Icon

• Account: silverfoxz

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:38 PM

View PostZenity, on 23 January 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

I should point out that the bunnyhopping only takes effect when you strafe sideways in midair without accelerating, so it does not interfere at all with standard circle jumping. It's an alternative and the idea would be to balance it so that it's useful in a few situations where you need more control, while otherwise you would still use the circle jumps. Choosing the correct movement in each situation and mastering both would add a bit to the skill ceiling.

Maybe but i am not sure i ever had the situation while playing: "Hm i really could use another method of accelertation to overcome this and that right now..."

Test builds would be nice :3

EDIT: I guess it could make shooting while doing so easier, than shooting while circle jumping. But i would think that pulling awsome stunts needs to be a risk and this would (maybe) reduce that?

This post has been edited by SilverFoxZ: 23 January 2016 - 10:39 PM

I raise komodo dragons in my spare time

#9 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

That's really cool! Both vaulting and wallrunning seem perfectly fitting additions to the current movement set.

I'm not completely sure on the bunnyhopping. I suppose the idea is, that bunnyhopping is going to be used in the few circumstances, where circlejumping isn't flexible enough? Where circlejumping gives you a lot of speed, you cannot massively change direction with it. So bunnyhopping would be less speed but tighter corners, possibly used to make yourself a more difficult target or jumping quickly around a corner?

Never the less I'm very intrigued seeing this.

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

#10 User is offline   Zenity Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:51 PM

Exactly Ikslorin. The difficulty is that changing direction in Quake physics makes you go faster (simplification, but you know what I mean)... so to balance it so that it's flexible enough but doesn't allow you to accelerate faster than circle jumping (and still is fun) is not so straightforward. The current settings seem promising to me, but it remains to be seen what it looks like when pushed to the limit by an expert. I have another implementation which is easier to balance but less skill based and less fun (the "forward" style of air control from CPMA, for any pro mode players). There are other things I could try as well.

Bunny hopping is one of those things which would be neat to have, but really aren't needed. It doesn't add anything essential to the game, so we can just play around with it and see if something "sticks". It's the vaulting and wall running I'm really excited about. :)

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2018 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942